How to love eggs!

Options

Replies

• Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    i usually go with egg whites and i can eat them any time i want to - not just for breakfast.

my favourite is folding an omlette up with cheese in the middle in between two slices of pumpernickel....nom nom nom!

you know what tastes nice in an omlette, cumin seeds and italian herb spice.

i wish there was a way to boil egg whites though...anyone know of a tool out there to allow you to do that?
    I saw David Chang do an amazing egg puff using one of those CO2 whipping canisters. I saw it on The Mind of a Chef tv series on Netflix. He basically shot it into simmering broth. I don't have the recipe or proportions. I do know that chefs often salt eggs last before serving because salt alters the chemistry of eggs really rapidly. I forgot this last night and salted the egg wash I was using and within minutes the egg wash was ruined which made my normally crispy fried okra have a clumpy coating instead of the egg shell thin coating. Good luck.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Poached is nice, and easy enough once you add a little vinegar to the poaching water. Lovely in a toasted muffin, with just a pinch of salt & pepper.

Frittata has already been mentioned. I usually make mine with sauteed onions, peppers, a little potato, a grating of strong cheese, and either some smoked mackerel/ tuna. Some fresh herbs make a nice addition also, and in addition to the normal salt & pepper, I tend to add a dash of worcestershire sauce too. Potato & onion is your classic Spanish omelette, and some chorizo can be lovely too in there.

Fried in a little butter is quick and easy, and easily added to a dinner plate, especially with some steak as a cowboy-style meal.

Fried/ poached, and added on top of a bed of sauteed onions and peppers can be lovely too.

Egg salad with some mayo and dijon is nice, or simply hardboiled eggs added to a sandwich or a salad is good too.

Egg muffins are an easy enough way to go too, and whatever you would add to a frittata, you can add to your egg muffin mix, then just put in a muffin tin & bake for about 20 mins until set.

Hot sauce on eggs is delicious, as is adding a few poached/ fried eggs to the top of a bed of onions, peppers and meat strips that have been seasoned and sauteed in taco-type spices/ seasoning blend (think fajitas without the tortilla).

I would like to try pickling my eggs, and also to try making my own scotch eggs also, but have not ventured that far yet :)

Oh, forgot to add scrambled too of course. Beaten with a little splash of milk added, and cooked in a non-stick pan over a low heat is how I like to go. You can also add a bit of cream to the mix if you favour a little indulgence. Cooked scrambled eggs can be a nice addition to a wok of stir-fried noodles, veg & meat too, as a way of making it a bit more 'meaty'. Also scrambled eggs, cooked with a little chorizo can be a great filling for a breakfast-style burrito too.
  • mmarquard75
    mmarquard75 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Boil the whole egg and remove the yolk! :)
  • icrushit
    Options
    Why do you want to love Eggs? They are high in cholesterol?

Because eggs are a superfood. As for cholestorol, eggs are high in cholestorol, but it has been shown ad nauseum that cholestorol in your food does not translate to the sort of cholestorol in our bodies we're all familar with. Google's your friend if you need proof.
  • s_bashore
    s_bashore Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I like them poached on a piece of buttered (smart balance) ezekiel bread. Easy to make, minimal fat and great tasting. Leave them in the water as long as you want for the degree of doneness desired.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    i usually go with egg whites and i can eat them any time i want to - not just for breakfast.

my favourite is folding an omlette up with cheese in the middle in between two slices of pumpernickel....nom nom nom!

you know what tastes nice in an omlette, cumin seeds and italian herb spice.

i wish there was a way to boil egg whites though...anyone know of a tool out there to allow you to do that?
    I saw David Chang do an amazing egg puff using one of those CO2 whipping canisters. I saw it on The Mind of a Chef tv series on Netflix. He basically shot it into simmering broth. I don't have the recipe or proportions. I do know that chefs often salt eggs last before serving because salt alters the chemistry of eggs really rapidly. I forgot this last night and salted the egg wash I was using and within minutes the egg wash was ruined which made my normally crispy fried okra have a clumpy coating instead of the egg shell thin coating. Good luck.

It's a dish served at Momofuku Ko, mixture of eggs, methylcelluose, salt, put into a siphon and injected into bacon dashi
  • kathystrauss1
    kathystrauss1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I make egg salad using guacamole instead of mayo. It's not a calorie saver but I think its a healthier fat and its way yummier. I use the Wholey Guacamole 100 cal cups or you could just make your own.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I hardboil big batches of them in advance (they keep well in the fridge) then cut them into small cubes and mix them into hot dishes (pilafs, stews, etc).

Edible/10

ETA:
    Also, mix with a good deal of breadcrumbs and fry up like an omelet. Add cheese on top for extra flavour.
  • __hannah_
    __hannah_ Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I love to add a fried egg to sandwiches/burgers or just on toast. Omelettes are tasty and can be filled with lots of veggies and cheese. Hard boiled eggs are great for snacking, adding to a salad, and to make egg salad (which I use avocado and greek yogurt to make instead of mayo). I also like eggs Benedict when I have the time to make it, and my simple favorite is scrambled eggs.
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Oh, I love me some eggs!!

Here's a few of my go-to's:
    -hard boiled
    -egg salad (I mix mine with just a little bit of seasoning and olive oil, no mayo)
    -fried egg sandwich on toast
    -add to my oatmeal (cook oatmeal, then add in egg or just whites and cook a little longer)
    -mix with some pumpkin, cinnamon and vanilla and make crepes
    -scrambled whites with maple syrup, cinnamon, sliced banana and small dollop of nut butter
    -breakfast burrito with whatever other fixings you might like

Enjoy!
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    An omlette with everything but the kitchen sink. It is my go-to meal when I don't know what else to fix, in a hurry, or want to use up veggies and cheese. Egg Foo Young - the crunchy sprouts make them so good! I also love eggs chopped in a salad -- the test of the good salad bar is if there is hardboiled egg on it or not. Vegetarian Bibimbap if you like Korean food. But, for ease, this morning I had a quickly scrambled egg on whole wheat bread.

I see that a lot of the recipes people gave you have meat in them, but you could omit it or use a meat substitute I suppose if you like that stuff.
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PUP7U5vTMM0

Gordon Ramseys's scrambled eggs. The simple chicken egg while extraordinary in potential is remarkably easy to ruin. Which, in my opinion is often why people can get turned off by eggs. I can't bring my self to eat over cooked eggs, I find them revolting. One of the biggest challenges in culinary school is the ability of a chef to perfectly cook multiple classic egg preparations. It is also the reason it is often a challenge on the popular cooking competition shows on tv. Don't get discouraged. Keep testing, watching videos and perfecting your technique. There is likely a preparation you prefer. The options are mind blowing. The golden egg in the center of the Provençal wood fired pizza, the lacy egg resting atop the bibimbap, the silken threads in the perfect bowl of egg drop soup, the egg puff floating in a bowl of Dashi broth, the sou vide egg yolk quivering on a bed of pan seared fiddle heads, the classic eggs Benedict, the fresh Caesar salad, the searing hot golden egg foo young, the single egg yolk in a nest of beef tartar, the heavenly meringue, and the deceptively difficult deviled egg. Good luck.

I like the way you think!!

OP, Jamie Olive has a marvellous shrimp frittata recipe in Jamie's Italy - I'm sure you could find the recipe with a google search if you are interested. Also have you heard of 2 ingredient banana pancakes? They are an awesome flour-less higher protein pancake alternative. You basically mash up 1 banana until it's smooth, then mix in 2 eggs and cook as you cook pancakes. Really good.
  • samanthablaisdell3
    Options
    I just boil a whole egg and toss the yolk if I just want the whites.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    One of my new favorites for dinner (especially after a workout) is 3 scrambled eggs, 4 oz. of leftover taco meat, with some cheese and tomatoes thrown in and a splash of taco sauce on top.
  • chench53
    chench53 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    .....i wish there was a way to boil egg whites though...anyone know of a tool out there to allow you to do that?
    I think you mean poaching eggs? At least that's what I call it, drop an egg into boiling water?

I know fresher eggs have a firmer white than older eggs. Bring water to a boil, and stir the water to get your whirlpool going, drop the egg (white) into that and it helps keep the egg together, and from dispersing through the water.
    Poached is nice, and easy enough once you add a little vinegar to the poaching water.....
    I did not know that, I'll have to try it!

There's gadgets to use - this article I found mentions a few, see if you have success with any!
    http://www.lovefood.com/journal/features/11071/the-best-egg-gadgets-

Also - hardboil and toss the yolk or use it for other purposes, I like that suggestion too! :bigsmile:

Gerry
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    I have to watch cholesterol so I use egg whites. I just put whatever I want in the skillet...breakfast sausage, bacon bits, onions, cheese and put the egg whites on top of this. Heat up the whole conglomeration and scramble it up or, at a lower heat, I will make it as an omelette.

SOMETIMES: I will make some hash browns in the skillet and when they are nearly finished, I pour the whole omelette batch on top of the hash browns and make it into an egg "succotash" of sort.
  • ChrisJMellor
    Options
    Frittatas are the way to go if you like solid with a bit of taste. Shameless plug for my own site:

http://themellors.org/cooking/?p=341

On there is a sort of intro to frittata and how to mess around with it.

Then of course there are "Funky eggs" - Which I've no idea if they are or not but I like to think so:

http://themellors.org/cooking/?p=158

(throw in some chilis and even better)

And lastly egg drop soup...

http://themellors.org/cooking/?p=103

Whats good about the above is that they are all low-carb and fairly high protein.

Let me know what you think.

And sorry for not having proper links in there - not sure how to get them on this forum.
  • chench53
    chench53 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks for those links!

off topic... I'm not sure you can put active links here, other forums I usually can put this
    [ url ] at the start but no spaces, then the link followed by [ url / ] again, no spaces.

i will try it.... http://themellors.org/cooking/?p=341

it did not work, but the [url] 's dissappeard. :ohwell: OK, everyone - back to EGGS!! :bigsmile:[/url]
  • icrushit
    Options
    Poached is nice, and easy enough once you add a little vinegar to the poaching water.....

I did not know that, I'll have to try it!

There's gadgets to use - this article I found mentions a few, see if you have success with any!
    http://www.lovefood.com/journal/features/11071/the-best-egg-gadgets-

Yes, seen so many egg gadgets, and always laugh when I see them, lol. Once you add some vinegar to the paching water, you shouldn't have any problems, and no need for gadgets :) I generally use a small, deep pan, and add about a tablespoon of vinegar. I'm not sure if you even need that much vinegar, I'm just pretty free handed about adding it, lol.

You'll have to find your own timing of course, as everyone likes their eggs a little different, but generally I find 3mins 15secs works very well for me and perhaps a good starting point. Too firm, just knock off some time, too soft, just add some more time, and you'll soon have the perfect time for you.

Just remember to bring the water to gentle boil/ rolling simmer before you add any eggs. Also a nice tip I found, was if you need to cook a lot of poached eggs, just prepared a bowl of iced water, and poach your eggs, but take them out 30 seconds before they're done, and put them in the bowl of iced water, and then when you are ready to serve them, just pop them back in the poaching water for 30 seconds to heat through and serve.

Of course if serving eggs for a lot of people, what my aunt who ran a guesthouse used to do, was to simply grease a deep muffin tin, and crack an egg into each, little butter/ salt/ fresh herbs on top of each egg, and bake the eggs until set :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to love Eggs? They are high in cholesterol?

In the vast majority of people, dietary cholesterol has no bearing on blood serum cholesterol. The 80s are over and this myth has been debunked about a million times over.

I had soaring levels of LDL a couple of years ago when I started out with all this healthy living...I eat eggs every single day...at least two per day and often more...my LDL is now 96. Dietary cholesterol really has very little bearing on blood serum levels.