What's the deal w/Quinoa

Options
Burt_Huttz
Burt_Huttz Posts: 1,612 Member
Are you too good for rice? Phoenetic spelling? Keep your strange grains the heck away from me.
That goes for you too, couscous.

With love,
Burt

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lr6uiqel0X1r2hybuo1_400.gif
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    but... but... it tastes good in stuffed peppers
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    but... but... it doesn't even taste good in stuffed peppers

FIFY
  • Burt_Huttz
    Options
    but... but... it tastes good in stuffed peppers

No quinoa apologists please.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Love keen-wah!
    I like the taste and the pebbly texture.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    I add a little to my Jambalaya in lieu of rice...

I know, I'm a rebel. :wink: :wink: :wink:
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    I like it. But my husband thinks it tastes like styrofoam shipping material.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I like it, but I think trendy foods are creepy so I avoid it...

Meanwhile, let's discuss this "Phoenetic" you allude to...
  • Burt_Huttz
    Options
    I like it, but I think trendy foods are creepy so I avoid it...

Meanwhile, let's discuss this "Phoenetic" you allude to...

What like you ain't never made a typographical typo? Crackaplease.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    It's delicious. And my husband hates rice... but what else do you put sweet and sour meatballs on?
  • Kaelakcr
    Kaelakcr Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is a one of the "ancient grains" and is one of the only grains/seeds/pseudo-cereals that is also a complete protein. It's also really high in protein for a grain...not as high as beans, but still remarkably high. It's The a good source of dietary fiber and phosphorus and is high in magnesium and iron. It is a source of calcium, and thus is useful for vegans and those who are lactose intolerant, and it's also gluten-free. It's supposed to be easy to digest, which is great for people with IBS or other gastro issues. It's not as high in protein as buckwheat or amaranth, but those both taste like sheeeit in my humble opinion.

Basically, it's incredibly nutritious for what it is, and it's crazy filling. It has practically no flavor, so it's an awesome option to replace rice. I like making "Mexican Quinoa" with tomato sauce, peppers, onions, and shredded chicken. Mmmm...now I'm hungry. I've also used it instead of rice in soups; my favorite soup of all time is a vegetarian quinoa soup with portobello mushies and peppers and all sorts of other veggums.

It can also be eaten cold in a salad, kinda like pasta salad. It's basically just super versatile, tasty, and healthy.

Now I'm dying for quinoa.
  • TMM211073
    TMM211073 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I like it and as I'm Coeliac it the closest thing I can have to cous cous (which I also love) because I don't always want rice or gluten free pasta. lol

xXx
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    At Christmas when my sister tried to feed us her parmesan quinoa vegetable ...something - I would have agreed with you.

I have since discovered Near East fast and quick cous cous.

Quinoa, I still have issues with.

But me and cous cous have an agreement that we're ok with one another as long as I bring something more delicious to share.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    It is an "ancient grain," and everyone knows older is better, especially when it comes to food.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    It is an "ancient grain," and everyone knows older is better, especially when it comes to food.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • Thewatcher_66
    Thewatcher_66 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I like it but I'll admit it took me a while to get used to it. I like to dress it up with onions, peppers, probably cut some chicken strips or put some ground turkey in it. It is a good source of protein and doesn't have the bad carbs that rice has. Though I'll admit, having a strong Lousiana background, we ate a lot of white rice growing up and I will still occasionally have some.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    Yeah. No. DNW.

Give me rice or give me potatoes but please get your weird grains outta my face
  • Strange_magic
    Strange_magic Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Personally I love it. So you quinoa haters can gladly just bring it to me.
    I'll eat all your freaking weird grains.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    I like it but I'll admit it took me a while to get used to it. I like to dress it up with onions, peppers, probably cut some chicken strips or put some ground turkey in it. It is a good source of protein and doesn't have the bad carbs that rice has. Though I'll admit, having a strong Lousiana background, we ate a lot of white rice growing up and I will still occasionally have some.

So basically, cover it up with a bunch of other stuff so it's barely there and it's all good.

And bad carbs, especially rice as a bad carb...

Really_seriously_WHAT.gif
  • Thewatcher_66
    Thewatcher_66 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    And if you don't like quinoa, it's not as though every eatery or restaurant throws it in your face. Personally, I can't stand the smell, taste or texture of any kind of cheese but you can't go to a restaurant without them throwing it in your face all the time. You order a salad, for example, it's got disgusting little cheese strips all on top of the lettuce. At least you don't have to worry about an eating place sneaking little bits of quinoa on your hamburger or on your salad. Just sayin.