What's the deal w/Quinoa

Options

Replies

• Strange_magic
    Strange_magic Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I don't find Quinoa to be strange...it is a staple in many parts of the world. I love the stuff and I've been eating quinoa before quinoa was cool...I'm fairly well traveled though.

You're only saying that for credibility with all the hot quinoaphiles in the thread.
    You wanna get really hot and bothered? I also have some bulgur in my pantry as well. Plan on making a wicked tabbouleh with it this weekend.

You can't do that kind of *kitten* with rice.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I like it but I'll admit it took me a while to get used to it. I like to dress it up with onions, peppers, probably cut some chicken strips or put some ground turkey in it. It is a good source of protein and doesn't have the bad carbs that rice has. Though I'll admit, having a strong Lousiana background, we ate a lot of white rice growing up and I will still occasionally have some.

So basically, cover it up with a bunch of other stuff so it's barely there and it's all good.

And bad carbs, especially rice as a bad carb...

Really_seriously_WHAT.gif

Sorry, but I don't quite understand this asinine post.

There. Are. No. Bad. Carbs.
    The carb on my lawn tractor is bad.
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I tried quinoa without knowing what it was because it was mixed with lime and cilantro (2 things I love).
    It was good.

Brilliance.

This will be in my diary this week.
  • tr3kkie9rl
    tr3kkie9rl Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    It is an "ancient grain," and everyone knows older is better, especially when it comes to food.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :flowerforyou:

take wine and cheese for example
    mmmm now I want some
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I like it but I'll admit it took me a while to get used to it. I like to dress it up with onions, peppers, probably cut some chicken strips or put some ground turkey in it. It is a good source of protein and doesn't have the bad carbs that rice has. Though I'll admit, having a strong Lousiana background, we ate a lot of white rice growing up and I will still occasionally have some.

So basically, cover it up with a bunch of other stuff so it's barely there and it's all good.

I agree with you, to a degree. There are no bad carbs; however, some carbs are more efficient, some provide more long-lasting energy, some are more nutritionally dense per calorie. "Empty calories" are a thing, and white rice, for example, is one of those things. There is very little in the way of nutrition from white rice. It's mostly simple carbs. That can cause a spike in glucose and more hunger and cravings when you crash. It's fine if you add proteins and complex carbs. But with quinoa that's not an issue.

Brown rice is better for you, but he was specifically talking about white rice in his comment.

Last I checked, white rice did have nutritional value. Please explain how it is an empty calorie if it does provide me some carbs and protein?
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I just know it looks gross and I'd probably really hate the texture. I have no desire to try it. Regular rice works for me.
  • Burt_Huttz
    Burt_Huttz Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    I don't find Quinoa to be strange...it is a staple in many parts of the world. I love the stuff and I've been eating quinoa before quinoa was cool...I'm fairly well traveled though.

You're only saying that for credibility with all the hot quinoaphiles in the thread.
    You wanna get really hot and bothered? I also have some bulgur in my pantry as well. Plan on making a wicked tabbouleh with it this weekend.

You can't do that kind of *kitten* with rice.

giphy.gif
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I just know it looks gross and I'd probably really hate the texture. I have no desire to try it. Regular rice works for me.

Quinoa looks more like little bugs and when eating it, it's like you are trying to crack their shells.
  • vblasser
    Options
    taste aside (and I do like it, i found a place where they sell them with basil, mint leaves, dried cranberries and peanuts - its a cold salad) is it any nutritious? it s a better option than rice, less carbs? What are its benefits??
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    quinoa is so good with daiya and spices mmmmmm
  • Burt_Huttz
    Options
    quinoa is so good with daiya and spices mmmmmm

You're just making up words now.

I eat my quinoa with purpadill and flaisysnakes, dusted with safferwillow.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    I don't even care. I like quinoa. It's spelled fancy and eating it makes me feel good! So all you haters can suck it!
  • Kaelakcr
    Kaelakcr Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    taste aside (and I do like it, i found a place where they sell them with basil, mint leaves, dried cranberries and peanuts - its a cold salad) is it any nutritious? it s a better option than rice, less carbs? What are its benefits??

Check out my response on the first page! :) I gave a rundown of the nutritional benefits.
  • Kaelakcr
    Kaelakcr Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I don't even care. I like quinoa. It's spelled fancy and eating it makes me feel good! So all you haters can suck it!

:love: :flowerforyou:

Quinoa date? :P
  • YF92
    YF92 Posts: 2,893 Member
    Options
    Dont even know what that is!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I have been called a hater. You know. In other threads.

Just throwing that out there.
  • Kels328
    Kels328 Posts: 1
    Options
    I agree! It's packed with macros, and it's tasteful alone but better with veggies,beans, and hot sauce. "But to each , their own" so like it as you may, but be mindful that it's very healthy for your body opposed to stranger refined items.
  • Burt_Huttz
    Options

piercestruggleface.0_standard_352.0_medium.gif
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options

I agree with you, to a degree. There are no bad carbs; however, some carbs are more efficient, some provide more long-lasting energy, some are more nutritionally dense per calorie. "Empty calories" are a thing, and white rice, for example, is one of those things. There is very little in the way of nutrition from white rice. It's mostly simple carbs. That can cause a spike in glucose and more hunger and cravings when you crash. It's fine if you add proteins and complex carbs. But with quinoa that's not an issue.

Brown rice is better for you, but he was specifically talking about white rice in his comment.

I hear that might not be true. A lot of the nutrition in brown rice is, supposedly, locked in the indigestible fiber.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options

only-new-yorkers-would-understand-9.gif