Did he think I was hitting on him??

Options
Calliope610
Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
When I was at the gym this morning, I saw the same guy I see every M-W-F. He is one of the very few people in the gym at 5:30-6:00am. Between sets of leg extensions, I caught his eye and he came over. I stuck my hand out and said “Hi, I see you every morning and just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Callie.” He introduced himself and we had about a 45 second conversation about our workout schedules.

Then came that awkward moment when he just stood there. Was he waiting for me to say “you wanna grab a beer sometime?”

I’m married, but I don’t wear any jewelry when I go to the gym, including my wedding band. Did he think I was hitting on him?

Replies

• j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    probably
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    It's fine. Just say hi next time and move on.

It's early- there is always the "well lots to lift and then gotta jet for work- so lets' get to it"

Almost anyone there before 7 AM is invariably trying to get a workout in pre- day job. That's the easiest way to dodge the bullet.
    Continue to be friendly- but move it along.
    You're fine.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    When I was at the gym this morning, I saw the same guy I see every M-W-F. He is one of the very few people in the gym at 5:30-6:00am. Between sets of leg extensions, I caught his eye and he came over. I stuck my hand out and said “Hi, I see you every morning and just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Callie.” He introduced himself and we had about a 45 second conversation about our workout schedules.

Then came that awkward moment when he just stood there. Was he waiting for me to say “you wanna grab a beer sometime?”

I’m married, but I don’t wear any jewelry when I go to the gym, including my wedding band. Did he think I was hitting on him?

depends...how did you 'catch his eye'
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

It's early- there is always the "well lots to lift and then gotta jet for work- so lets' get to it"

Almost anyone there before 7 AM is invariably trying to get a workout in pre- day job. That's the easiest way to dodge the bullet.
    You're fine.
    This.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options

You're fine.

Agree ^^^
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Are you hitting on me now?
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Twerking on him probably gave the wrong impression. :tongue:
  • Calliope610
    Options
    depends...how did you 'catch his eye'

When there are only 3 ppl in a small gym (less than 2000sqft) it's difficult not to catch someone's eye. Besides, we usually acknowledge each others' presence with a nod. I just decided to introduce myself instead on continue with the anonymous nod.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options

How many times do I have to tell you to stop flashing the guys in the gym it just never ends well!!!
  • Calliope610
    Options

How many times do I have to tell you to stop flashing the guys in the gym it just never ends well!!!

Well, he reminded me of you. What can I say :wink:
  • 1HappyRedhead
    1HappyRedhead Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Probably.... strangely enough, for some people, just being friendly is taken as a "sign" that you're interested.
    You did absolutely nothing that you or I would consider flirting in any way, and maybe he didn't take it that way either, he just didn't know what else to say after that.
    When I lived in Phoenix I couldn't even make eye contact with guys at the grocery store or they'd come up and ask me for my number. One guy even followed me home after a simple walking past glance in the parking lot... I thought he had gone into the store, I had no idea...I couldn't have even told you what he looked like, it was so fleeting. Luckily, my husband was coming out of the garage when I got home, so the guy just made up a story about me dropping my wallet and that he was coming to let me know. (Silly me, my husband was the one that pointed out what had actually happened, I'm so naive I thought I might have possibly dropped my wallet and was all concerned about that, lol) So I learned quickly not to make eye contact out there, and it made sense why people were so standoffish.
    But to reiterate.... If that happens it's not you... it's them. It's just sad that pure old simple kindness is such a rarity anymore that it's misread. I, on the other hand, never think that anyone is flirting with/hitting on me, so I don't get it... lol.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

You're fine.

Agree ^^^

+1
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    So....can we go grab a beer sometime? :wink:
  • lizzybathory
    Options
    I think it's hard to accidentally hit on someone... but maybe he was waiting to see if you WOULD hit on him? And then you didn't, so he moved on. No harm done.

Unless he said something inappropriate, or asked you out on a date, or leered at you from across the room, or did something else to make you uncomfortable, I'd count him as a new friend. If you continue to be friends, perhaps there would be a tactful moment to bring your spouse up in conversation?

Generally I don't count hellos and brief, friendly chit-chat as a come-on.
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    Whoa, whoa, whoa.....What was this one in a million talk.
  • Jpeezy85ny
    Options
    he probably thought you were flirting or being friendly which a lot of fellow men see as a "in" to go ahead and engage in conversation or "hit" on you.

Nothing to worry about just say hi and keep working out and do your thing.
  • lngbrd
    lngbrd Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Of Course you were hitting on him! Any time a girl glances my way, I'm sure she wants me. Isn't that the way it is?
  • 2_FitNFab
    2_FitNFab Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Of Course you were hitting on him! Any time a girl glances my way, I'm sure she wants me. Isn't that the way it is?

^^^Yep that's pretty much how it goes or so it seems!
  • fractalsphere
    fractalsphere Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    He probably thought you were, a lot of guys would. But hey, just wear your wedding ring occasionally when you go (guys notice those things - trust me!) and he'll get the idea you were just being friendly.