Help me with this Interview Question!

Options
AsaThorsWoman
AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
I have a big interview today at 4:00pm.

Woot! Go me!

But I always inevitably get asked this question.

How do you answer it?

"What is your greatest weakness?"

Because a truthful "fiddling on my cell phone instead of paying attention" will probably NOT win me the job.

Please help and thank you in advance!

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• pixelatedsun
    pixelatedsun Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, first off!

The key to this particular question is to be sure to cap off whatever it is you decide with an improvement plan, things like "I tend to procrastinate, but I keep a really detailed to-do list that keeps me on track," or "I'm very social, so I have gotten quite good at strategically aligning breaks to make the most of any free time I have while at work so it doesn't distract from my job."

Personally for me, the answer is "I'm very determined. It's great 90% of the time, but when I have a pile-up of things on my desk and I'm doggedly trying to finish the thing I was working on, it can be a problem. I've learned to set due dates and reminders in my Outlook calendar, and I also keep a running to-do list beside my keyboard at all times, it really helps me focus."
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, first off!

The key to this particular question is to be sure to cap off whatever it is you decide with an improvement plan, things like "I tend to procrastinate, but I keep a really detailed to-do list that keeps me on track," or "I'm very social, so I have gotten quite good at strategically aligning breaks to make the most of any free time I have while at work so it doesn't distract from my job."

Personally for me, the answer is "I'm very determined. It's great 90% of the time, but when I have a pile-up of things on my desk and I'm doggedly trying to finish the thing I was working on, it can be a problem. I've learned to set due dates and reminders in my Outlook calendar, and I also keep a running to-do list beside my keyboard at all times, it really helps me focus."

This is fantastic!!

I once told an employer that my strength was attention to detail, and then told him that it is also my weakness because sometimes I can't see the big picture through all the details and have to step back and refocus sometimes. I got the job.
  • HaibaneReki
    HaibaneReki Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Say honesty and (for lack of better wording) open-heartedness. Anyway - GRATZ! :flowerforyou:
  • mpendjurin
    Options
    I just googled some examples - I like these ones! PS you'll do great :) let us know how it goes!

- I like to make sure that my work is perfect, so I tend to perhaps spend a little too much time checking it. However, I've come to a good balance by setting up a system to ensure everything is done correctly the first time.

- Sometimes, I spend more time than necessary on a task, or take on tasks personally that could easily be delegated to someone else. Although I've never missed a deadline, it is still an effort for me to know when to move on to the next task, and to be confident when assigning others work.

- I used to like to work on one project to its completion before starting on another, but I've learned to work on many projects at the same time, and I think it allows me to be more creative and effective in each one.

- I think one area I could work on is my delegation skills. I am always so concerned about everything being done right and on time that I can get stuck in that mentality of “If you want it done right, do it yourself.” Unfortunately, that’s not always possible and I’ve realized that I can slow things down if I am too controlling.

- Sometimes I can be a bit too honest when I provide feedback to coworkers. My personality is naturally very straightforward and to the point, and most of my colleagues really value that, but I have learned that there are times on the job when more diplomacy is required.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I usually tell the truth by saying it's my tendency to adhere too closely to rules and see things very black/white. I always follow up with a line (also true) about how after years of experience, I have gained maturity and improved judgment so I am more flexible *within* rules and guidelines. I also used to be an auditor for years though so generally the interviewer is aware of that and kind of knows they are dealing with a stickler/rules person, and usually for the positions I seek that's seen as a positive.
  • pixelatedsun
    pixelatedsun Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I can be a bit too honest when I provide feedback to coworkers. My personality is naturally very straightforward and to the point, and most of my colleagues really value that, but I have learned that there are times on the job when more diplomacy is required.

This is a huge weakness of mine! Didn't even occur to me to list it, either. Nice!
  • red66stang
    Options
    It depends on what the job is your are interviewing for. In general that question is answered by picking something that is relatively neutral that you have dealt with and then explaining what you did to overcome it so that it is now a positive. I proof read an application from a student applying for a professional program that asked that exact same question and they said that they had a hard time with time management. I told them to go back and then add that because they recognized it they have worked hard over their college career on scheduling and time management and now effectively use a planner to help them prioritize.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    What this question is really asking is "will this person be a liability or pose a risk to my organisation."

Therefore, think about a non essential part of the job or something not relevant and focus in on that. So for example if you are being interviewed for a post as an English Teacher saying something like "I can't add for *kitten* Mrs Interviwer person" may not be so bad but saying "My biggest weakness is my inability to communicate clearly" may be.

Alternatively you could spin it and say "my biggest weakness is my insistence on exceeding targets and expecting others to aspire to more" but that requires a certain amount of charm to pull off well...
  • tr3kkie9rl
    tr3kkie9rl Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Having been in a position to hire, train, and fire people, I will tell you that - unless the person you are interviewing with is a total a-hole or B**** (which you wouldn't want to work for anyway) honesty is ALWAYS the best policy. Employers hear crap like "I tend to get very caught up in my job and neglect my home life" all the time, someone just trying to make themselves look good, and for someone to be honest and forthcoming about their "weaknesses" is kind of refreshing. If you actually do have a problem being distracted by your cell phone, find a way to say it in a way that is honest but still positive (like the above poster said, now that I see it lol). So you could mention that you sometimes lose focus if you are bored, and hope that you will be kept busy with projects assigned to you. Or something along those lines. Good luck!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    My typical answer is that I am very independent, which can be both a strength and weakness. It can be a weakness at times because I will sometimes take too much time trying to work my way through a problem when I should have asked for help.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    It depends on what the job is your are interviewing for. In general that question is answered by picking something that is relatively neutral that you have dealt with and then explaining what you did to overcome it so that it is now a positive. I proof read an application from a student applying for a professional program that said they had a hard time with time management. I told them to go back and then add that because they recognized it they have worked hard over their college career on scheduling and time management and now effectively use a planner to help them prioritize.

I guess that would help!

I'm applying for a job as an appointment setter at a medical office at a university who also processes (probably the bulk of the work) referrals.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I have a big interview today at 4:00pm.

Woot! Go me!

But I always inevitably get asked this question.

How do you answer it?

"What is your greatest weakness?"

Because a truthful "fiddling on my cell phone instead of paying attention" will probably NOT win me the job.

Please help and thank you in advance!

:flowerforyou:

Greatest weakness -> Too focus at the task at hand and not other projects.
    --> working late hours to finish up; because you don't' have time for your self.
    --> Trying to find solutions your self, ( computer) because you don't' to bother others with solutions that you should be able to find.. problem with that is it take your time away from other things.
  • liketobike2
    liketobike2 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I always answer the "greatest weakness question" in terms of training that I have not received. You could say that you wish you knew <insert application here> better and would like to attend training on that tool. This way you are showing your desire to learn more and it might even lead to valuable training. It turns a negative question into a positive goal.
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    I always answer the "greatest weakness question" in terms of training that I have not received. You could say that you wish you knew <insert application here> better and would like to attend training on that tool. This way you are showing your desire to learn more and it might even lead to valuable training. It turns a negative question into a positive goal.

I like this one too! I have used this while employed at an organization...during reviews if they asked me to give feedback I would usually point out 2-3 really great things I had done and then balance it out a bit by saying, "I do feel that I would benefit from more training in (program)" or "I have recently been using (xyz) and would like to expand my skills there".
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    mine has always been

I have difficulties saying no to tasks, but I am learning that delegating does not mean that I am shrugging responsibility.
  • lizzybathory
    Options
    I hate questions like this... it seems to be much more about your ability to google the right answer and say something clever than it is about learning more about the job candidate. My mom told me many years ago to say "I'm a perfectionist" when asked about my weaknesses, and for many years I used it; now I try to choose an answer that will actually tell the potential employer more about myself. I'll tell an anecdote about a time that I struggled with something and overcame it, for example.

If you get a job by jumping through hoops and searching for clever answers on the internet, you can pretty much expect that the rest of your time working there you'll be subjected to the same kinds of expectations. If I went to a job interview and they thought less of me for revealing a truthful weakness that STILL shows growth or learning on my part, rather than reciting back the standard line that potential employees should all have memorized, I don't think think I'd like working there very well.

Remember, when you're interviewing for a job, they're evaluating you, but you should also be evaluating them. If the interview makes you feel like a trained seal for 90 minutes, you can pretty much expect that the job will make you feel that way for however many years you work there.
  • pechepanda
    pechepanda Posts: 7,939 Member
    Options
    Either include an improvement plan for whatever your weakness is or say something that isnt particularily a weakness, like I tend to pay too much attention to detail or something like that

Good Luck!!! remember to look confident,
  • azymth99
    azymth99 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I've been a boss just about every place I've worked and done many an interview in my day. The best answer to this question is to make your weakness sound like a strength. Some of the other posts do exactly that: say your attention to detail makes you over-focus. It makes you appear thorough, yet you are conceding that you tend to scrutinize. Which is fine. Don't make your weakness sound like a negative.

One I tend to use: "I have a tendency to do things myself so I know I'll get them done, rather than relying on my team mates. As a result, I tend to overload myself with work. I can be a team player, but I want to be the Quarterback."

Just be honest and don't make-up answers. Its easy to tell when someone is giving you a line of B.S. as an interviewer. And look professional above all else, first impressions are the most lasting in an interview, especially if the interviewer has a pile of resumes to go over. You want to stand out, stick in their mind etc.

Good Luck!
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    Remember, when you're interviewing for a job, they're evaluating you, but you should also be evaluating them. If the interview makes you feel like a trained seal for 90 minutes, you can pretty much expect that the job will make you feel that way for however many years you work there.

Such solid advice. I also think it's good to remember that being offered a job does not mean you have to accept it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Might be a little late now but...

We are doing interviews now- I helped develop the questions and I"m having a fight with HR over this very question because they want sample answers- and the reality is there is no right or wrong answer.

They don't CARE what your actual weakness is- they want to know you are self reflective and if you are working on improving yourself. The questions are supposed to allow you to communicate with them- they have to be objective and consistent- but it's not a test- it's not to trick you- You're already mostly qualified if you landed the interview- now they need to know if you'll work with the team and WHO you really are.
    Say honesty and (for lack of better wording) open-heartedness. Anyway - GRATZ! :flowerforyou:

This is always my go to answer- mostly because I am- I'm genuine to a fault- and my blunt honesty has gotten me in trouble more than once. It really is an actual weakness.

and also GOOD LUCK!!!