21st Birthday Cake & Dinner Suggestions

Options
Jemellc
Jemellc Posts: 308 Member
I turn 21 October 27th and I am excited obvi... I want this birthday and the rest to be different... I want (actually need....) my cake and dinner to be healthy, organic, and possibly gluten free. Any suggestions?

*P.S. going all out is not an option lol!

Replies

• Jemellc
    Options
    Woah! That looks awesome. Thanks.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    This sounds like the most miserable kind of birthday I can imagine. With that, I recommend Hawaiian dinner rolls with colored whipped cream.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I find the beets give it a very earthy flavour. It adds some richness.
    You can use avocado and cocoa/sweetner/milk to make pudding too.
    Forgot to add, boiling beets is much faster than roasting them
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Why gluten free? Are you gluten intolerant?

Anyway, it makes me sad. For my husband's birthday I just made four cupcakes for the 4 of us. They were delicious. Surely you can fit 300 calories in your day, and just have a normal healthy dinner.
  • Jemellc
    Options
    Lmao great!
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Ok, this prompted me to put in the recipe builder a recipe I've modified that is...delicious. It's a flourless chocolate cake that uses 1 tbs of flour, but I THINK you can use a hazelnut flour in its' place. Have not tried it yet, but I think it would work.

It is not meant to be healthy, but it's so rich that you might be able to eat a little bit and feel like you've had a decadent dessert. Because it is a decadent dessert.

Each cake is probably at least 16 servings and each serving is 160 calories with 11 g of fat, 2 g of protein and 12g of sugar.

If you want it, let me know and I'll post it.
  • Jemellc
    Options
    Why gluten free? Are you gluten intolerant?

Anyway, it makes me sad. For my husband's birthday I just made four cupcakes for the 4 of us. They were delicious. Surely you can fit 300 calories in your day, and just have a normal healthy dinner.

Well I think that's why I added possibly gluten.... open to option.. but yeah I mean that might be the route I take instead of just splurging I'll portion.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    21st birthday... and you are even considering beet cake and avocado frosting?? I know it's been awhile since my 21st birthday but I can definitely say none of that was involved.

If I remember there was tequila, beer, more tequila... chocolate cake... and more tequila...
  • Jemellc
    Options
    I am sorry if this sounds crazy or MISERABLE as the one guy mentioned but I just really don't want to even splurge or eat badly been doing that **** for the past 20 years.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    Meringue topped pie with a strawberry filling (think strawberries in a slurry of more blended strawberries - maybe put some blueberries or pineapple in the slurry - but use fresh stuff and freeze the pie a day or two ahead of time) on a gluten free crust of some kind.
    Dinner... well I always choose stroganoff with rice haha. Delicious! It's all about portions!
  • aledba
    Options
    21st birthday... and you are even considering beet cake and avocado frosting?? I know it's been awhile since my 21st birthday but I can definitely say none of that was involved.

If I remember there was tequila, beer, more tequila... chocolate cake... and more tequila...
    Have you tried chocolate beet cake? If you haven't, please do. It's a lot better than you think it is.
    Don't judge OP. It's a genuine request and it's not your birthday, it's his.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Are you sharing that cake and dinner with others? Are they game for that sort of meal or would there be other options?

I've heard of black bean brownies ...never tried it though.
  • HisStrengthCounselor
    HisStrengthCounselor Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    happy early birthday, if you like chocalate cake, you HAVE to try this, It may sound weird, but I made this for office and people could not tell it was not chocalate cake, it was so moist and tasty:

Decadent Chocolate Cake

(makes 1 – 9 inch cake)

Ingredients:
    1-15 ounce can of unseasoned black beans
    5 large organic eggs
    1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
    1/2 teaspoon sea salt
    6 tablespoons unsalted organic butter OR extra virgin coconut oil
    3/4 cup xyliol plus 1/2 teaspoon liquid pure stevia extract
    6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1 tablespoon filtered water

Preparation:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. grease a 9″ cake pan with coconut oil or a thin layer of butter. Dust cocoa all over the inside of the pan, tapping to evenly distribute. Cut a round of parchment paper and line the bottom of the pan (put a couple drops of oil so that is doesn’t curl, then grease the top of the parchment lightly.

Drain and rinse beans and shake off excess water. Place the beans, 3 of the eggs, vanilla, stevia and salt into blender. Blend on high until beans are completely liquefied. Make sure there are no chunks. Mix together cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder in a small bowl. In a larger bowl, beat butter with xylitol until light and fluffy. Add the remaining two eggs, beating for one minute after each addition. Pour bean batter into egg mixture and mix. Finally, stir in cocoa powder and water and beat the batter on high for one minute or until smooth. Scrape batter into pan and smooth the top.

Bake for 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes. Cake is done with the top is rounded and firm to the touch. After 10 minutes, turn out cake from pan, and flip over again on to a cooling rack. Let cool until cake reaches room temperature, then cover with an overturned bowl. (Frost immediately before serving)
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    Ok, this prompted me to put in the recipe builder a recipe I've modified that is...delicious. It's a flourless chocolate cake that uses 1 tbs of flour, but I THINK you can use a hazelnut flour in its' place. Have not tried it yet, but I think it would work.

It is not meant to be healthy, but it's so rich that you might be able to eat a little bit and feel like you've had a decadent dessert. Because it is a decadent dessert.

Each cake is probably at least 16 servings and each serving is 160 calories with 11 g of fat, 2 g of protein and 12g of sugar.

If you want it, let me know and I'll post it.
    I want that...
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Check out recipes by The Flying Apron. Amazing GF vegan baked goods! Also, the cravings place is a GF brand of products that has stellar chocolate chip cookies, so I bet their cake mix is good.

As for "splurging" food is enjoyable and it's ok as a celebration. For my birthday every year I run a half marathon alone with my dog and then I go out and party like I'm just turning 21!
  • aledba
    Options
    happy early birthday, if you like chocalate cake, you HAVE to try this, It may sound weird, but I made this for office and people could not tell it was not chocalate cake, it was so moist and tasty:

Decadent Chocolate Cake

(makes 1 – 9 inch cake)

Ingredients:
    1-15 ounce can of unseasoned black beans
    5 large organic eggs
    1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
    1/2 teaspoon sea salt
    6 tablespoons unsalted organic butter OR extra virgin coconut oil
    3/4 cup xyliol plus 1/2 teaspoon liquid pure stevia extract
    6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1 tablespoon filtered water

Preparation:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. grease a 9″ cake pan with coconut oil or a thin layer of butter. Dust cocoa all over the inside of the pan, tapping to evenly distribute. Cut a round of parchment paper and line the bottom of the pan (put a couple drops of oil so that is doesn’t curl, then grease the top of the parchment lightly.

Drain and rinse beans and shake off excess water. Place the beans, 3 of the eggs, vanilla, stevia and salt into blender. Blend on high until beans are completely liquefied. Make sure there are no chunks. Mix together cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder in a small bowl. In a larger bowl, beat butter with xylitol until light and fluffy. Add the remaining two eggs, beating for one minute after each addition. Pour bean batter into egg mixture and mix. Finally, stir in cocoa powder and water and beat the batter on high for one minute or until smooth. Scrape batter into pan and smooth the top.

Bake for 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes. Cake is done with the top is rounded and firm to the touch. After 10 minutes, turn out cake from pan, and flip over again on to a cooling rack. Let cool until cake reaches room temperature, then cover with an overturned bowl. (Frost immediately before serving)
    Black or red bean desserts are very yummy
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

Have you tried chocolate beet cake? If you haven't, please do. It's a lot better than you think it is.

Actually yes I'm sad to admit I have tried it and it's absolutely horrible.
  • aledba
    Options

Actually yes I'm sad to admit I have tried it and it's absolutely horrible.
    Were the beets fresh from a garden 24 hours or less? It makes a big difference.