21st Birthday Cake & Dinner Suggestions

Options

Replies

• TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    These veggie and watermellon cakes are making me sad. So here is a real cake recipe.
    It's not gluten or sugar free and you will probably gain at least 5 pounds if you eat the whole thing:

Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Frosting

CAKE
    2 cups All-purpose flour
    2 tsp Baking powder
    2 tsp Baking soda
    1 tsp Salt
    2 cups Sugar
    4 oz Unsweetened chocolate, chopped
    6 tbsp Unsalted butter
    1 tsp Vanilla extract
    2 Eggs, lightly beaten

FROSTING
    1 ⅓ cups Heavy cream
    1 ½ cups Sugar
    6 oz Unsweetened chocolate, chopped
    1 stick + 2 tbsp Unsalted butter
    1 ½ tsp Vanilla extract
    1 pinch Salt

MAKE THE CAKE
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour two 8-by-1½ inch round cake pans. Line the bottom with wax paper.

In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

In a saucepan, bring the sugar and 2 cups of water to a boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves: pour into heat proof bowl.

Add the chocolate and butter and stir until the chocolate melts and the mixture cools slightly.

Beat in vanilla and eggs.

Add the dry ingredients and beat until smooth.

Pour the batter into the pans and bake for 30 minutes, until a cake tester inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean.

Cool the cakes on a rack for 25 minutes, then invert them onto the rack to cool completely.

Peel off the wax paper.

MAKE THE FROSTING
    In a medium saucepan, bring the cream and sugar to a boil.

Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring until the cream reduces slightly, 6 minutes.

Pour the cream into a heatproof bowl and add the remaining ingredients.

Stir until the chocolate and butter are melted.

Set the bowl in ice water. Using a handheld electric mixer, beat the frosting at medium speed until thick and glossy, 5 minutes.

Set one cake on a platter, right side up. Using a metal spatula, spread ⅓ of the frosting evenly over it.

Top with the second cake and spread with the remaining frosting.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Beets and avocados and black beans to make CAKES?! what is wrong with you people?!!!!!

This thread gives me the sadz.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Is vodka a cake?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me weep for the future of the Human Race!
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Que tristeza me da esto.... Let me just sit in a corner, hold my knees and cry. I shouldn't have read any of this stuff. :brokenheart: :sad: :brokenheart: :sick: :brokenheart: :cry: :brokenheart: :noway: :brokenheart: :grumble:
  • bohemian124
    bohemian124 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Here are a couple that sounded pretty good and won't break the calorie bank:

http://www.michelleshealthybites.com/2012/12/warm-chocolate-orange-souffle-cakes.html

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/02/homemade-skinny-chocolate-cake.html

http://blog.meaningfuleats.com/perfect-gluten-free-angel-food-cake/

Or think outside the (cake) box and go with a dark chocolate fondue (dip cakes, fresh fruit, pretzels, etc), homemade truffles, etc. If you use a high quality chocolate, you will feel satisfied without having a lot, and both are special enough to be birthday treats.
  • Jemellc
    Jemellc Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! Those are some good *kitten* ideas.
  • Jemellc
    Options
    Que tristeza me da esto.... Let me just sit in a corner, hold my knees and cry. I shouldn't have read any of this stuff. :brokenheart: :sad: :brokenheart: :sick: :brokenheart: :cry: :brokenheart: :noway: :brokenheart: :grumble:

¿Por qué? mirar niña im tired of eating arroz con ganduelz.
    yeah you right you shouldnt have read this....
    this post is not only for me but for others looking for alternatives instead.....

#sorrynotsorry
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    :( I'm just sad but if that's what you want to do.......
    My daughter (who is also on MFP) will be 21 tomorrow. We are definitely splurging on whatever looks good! We will be at Disneyland for 3 days. Yeah, probably strange for most people BUT there will be lots of alcohol. lol....

That's awesome you're celebrating your daughter's 21st with her @ Disneyland, but there are some people that do NOT drink. My son will be 20 in a few months and he doesn't drink and isn't interested in drinking. It's just not everyone's "thing".

I just wanted to point out that not EVERYONE goes out and gets completely tanked when they turn 21. ;) Btw, I got completely vodka *kitten* faced for my 21st.

OP - If you can afford the calories - have cake & ice cream- it's one day!

BUT if cake is a trigger food for you and you're concerned about staying on track - perhaps some choc dipped strawberries and other types of finger foods. I love the watermelon cake idea - it looks really cool!
  • Jemellc
    Options
    Yes Amen! ^^
    So love you haha.
    I definitely know it will trigger me.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Maybe this site might help you in regards to the cake.

http://greatist.com/health/healthier-cake-recipes

or

http://delcies.com/
  • Catter_05
    Catter_05 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    My birthday is this coming weekend and my husband was very sad because I am low carb and low sugar on Dr's orders. I am
    planning on having this cake - http://www.cutthewheat.com/2014/03/german-chocolate-cupcakes.html with a cream cheese frosting.
    (Cream cheese, butter, and Swerve) that being said I am splurging a little. It's not exactly a healthy choice ;). I'll let you know if it's yummy or not.

Honestly, the only reason I am even bothered by it at all is that he was so bummed about it. I don't blame you at all. I cannot have chips, pretzels, or other stuff like that.
  • Jemellc
    Options
    Thanks.

** Im not looking for totally healthy I mean obvi everything in MODERATION.
    But with just some healthy alternative ingredients ya know...
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options

¿Por qué? mirar niña im tired of eating arroz con ganduelz.
    yeah you right you shouldnt have read this....
    this post is not only for me but for others looking for alternatives instead.....

#sorrynotsorry

Mmmmmm.... arroz con gandules.... ahorita I'll go make some. :bigsmile:
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Thanks.

** Im not looking for totally healthy I mean obvi everything in MODERATION.
    But with just some healthy alternative ingredients ya know...

Oh, well healthy alternative ingredients makes it a bit easier.

What ingredients do you want to stay away from? What ingredients are your triggers?
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you are not in the habit of baking that sort of cake, please find a professional baker who does. We tried making that sort of cake for my older son's first birthday because I was gung-ho about this kid not ending up like Mama. Needless to say, it was AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, Happy birthday! A major milestone! :^D *confetti and streamers*
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    OP, this doesn't really qualify as a celebratory type of cake, but it's organic, gluten-free and very yummy.

Spiced Apple Cake

Ingredients

butter 2 sticks, 225 grams -room temp (plus extra for greasing the pan)
    apples 1lb, 450 grams -peeled and chopped
    medjool dates 1 1/3 cups, 200 grams -chopped
    raisins 1/2 cup, 80 grams -divide portion in half
    eggs 4, 148 grams -beaten
    gluten free flour (or reg) 1 cup, 150 grams -plus 1tsp for topping
    almond flour 1 cup, 100 grams
    baking powder 1 1/2TB, 21 grams
    cinnamon 1tsp, 2 grams -ground
    ginger 1/2tsp, 1 grams -ground
    nutmeg 1/2tsp, 1 gram -freshly grated
    pine nuts 2TB, 17 grams
    turbinado sugar 2TB, 24 grams
    makes 16 servings

Preparation

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9" x 9" x 2" baking pan, then line it with parchment paper. Cut the parchment larger than needed and allow it to hang over the edges -this is for easier removal.

In a food processor place the apples, dates, butter and half of the raisins and process until combined and smooth. Scrape this mixture into a large bowl and add in 1/3 of the beaten eggs.

In a separate bowl combine the flour, almond flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Add a third of this to the apple mixture and combine, then continue adding and combining the egg and flour mixtures in alternating batches until all mixed together. Finish by folding in the remaining raisins then pour into the prepared cake pan.

Combine the pine nuts, sugar, and the extra tsp of flour then scatter over the cake mixture. Bake for 50-60 minutes. Let cake cool for 10 minutes in the pan before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

...I usually leave the pine nut topping off when I make this.

imagejpg1_zps5f208838.jpg

Whatever you do, Happy Birthday! :flowerforyou:
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    I turn 21 October 27th and I am excited obvi... I want this birthday and the rest to be different... I want (actually need....) my cake and dinner to be healthy, organic, and possibly gluten free. Any suggestions?

*P.S. going all out is not an option lol!

214cge8.jpg

Birthday cake recommendation is a NZ Pavlova, which just happens to be gluten free. You can make an average sized one or layered or miniature ones per guest. It's a flexible cake

ETA: The toppings are options. You generally add what you'd like to it. It was supposed to read, "Whipped cream/mascarpone /mousse and NOT all of those ingredients on one cake.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    jemellc: I turn 21 October 27th and I am excited obvi... I want this birthday and the rest to be different... I want (actually need....) my cake and dinner to be healthy, organic, and possibly gluten free. Any suggestions?

*P.S. going all out is not an option lol!

Your discussion topic clearly captured my attention enough, which occupied a segment of my chatter with my sister, whose contributed her suggestion above@pavlova. I on the other hand, am pressed to recommend that if that is to be your dessert birthday cake, you may consider inculcating a Targaryen themed dinner menu to complement that, only that you may choose to not be literal about it, but simply ~ inspired; Think Fire & Winter-white with splashes of bold vibrance + fragrant meats (stuffed roasts) and warmed salads.

Wish you well with how you'll eventually go about this.

ETA: Add stuffed roasts
  • jfboomer
    jfboomer Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    21st birthday... and you are even considering beet cake and avocado frosting?? I know it's been awhile since my 21st birthday but I can definitely say none of that was involved.

If I remember there was tequila, beer, more tequila... chocolate cake... and more tequila...
    Have you tried chocolate beet cake? If you haven't, please do. It's a lot better than you think it is.
    Don't judge OP. It's a genuine request and it's not your birthday, it's his.
    I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.

LMAO! Amen! :drinker: