Best pasta substitute I've found!

Options
swimmermama
swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
I'm so excited about this find! My daughter loves pasta and while I'm cool with eating it once in a while, I don't want to eat it as often as she does... which is several times a week! :)

So, I have been trying different pasta substitutes but haven't been thrilled. I don't like Shiritaki noodles and my kid's not a huge fan of spaghetti squash.

These are by far the best I have found: http://www6.netrition.com/explore_asian_mung_bean_fettuchini.html

They are made with mung beans. WAIT! Don't run away. I like them even better than regular pasta and my daughter ate them, too! I added this cauliflower sauce: http://pinchofyum.com/healthy-fettucine-alfredo. I've eaten the leftovers for lunch the last two days and enjoyed every bite.

Just wanted to share my excitement about my find! :)

Replies

• Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Always looking for something different. Thanks so much for sharing..
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    The nutrition info says it has 25g of protein and 182 cals per 52g serving. I'd be willing to at least give these a go. I'm not a fan of shiritaki either
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I'd like to try the black bean spaghetti also. A trip to the Asian supermarket might be in order
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,968 Member
    Options
    Noodle bashing is against the rules.....reported.
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    These sound interesting
  • PowerfulHunt
    PowerfulHunt Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Bump, looks good!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Blech, those are scary looking. I'm not sure I'd be willing to put black pasta in my mouth. I might be willing to try the black bean kind, but I'll probably just stick to regular pasta.

(Also, the chick in that video pronounced "al dente" incorrectly. Americans!)
  • carlyd333
    carlyd333 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I just googled it and want to try it but every online shop I click on doesn't ship to the uk :(
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • JupeJones
    JupeJones Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Cool! I'll have to check that out...

Can you get them at someplace like Whole Foods, or is it order-online only?
  • EmpireBusiness
    EmpireBusiness Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Personally, I have found the best substitute to be bacon.
  • Mnecka
    Mnecka Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Now I have start a search!! I really want to try them. I freaking :heart: pasta!!
  • zetodd
    zetodd Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The mung bean noodles aren't bad at all. The black bean ones are ok.
    My local Hy-Vee carries them in the "health market" section, might help some.

Looks like you can buy them on amazon in the Uk
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Have to agree. These are quite nice. I did salt the water tho which was not on the instructions. I then made a quick Alfredo with fresh grated Parmesan and topped with some crumbled bacon. $4.99 a pack at Whole Foods. In my opinion it feeds 6 not 4 but for me pasta is a side, never a main dish. I have a pack of the black bean spaghetti by the same company but haven't tried it yet. Hopefully competition will come along and the price will drop. I will be interested to try future legume pastas. Already a huge fan of mung beans. I use Assi brand mung bean flour, water and egg beaters to make Korean Bindaedduk scallion pancakes. You can of course soak mung beans and grind them into batter for flat cakes but I just don't have the time.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Found a place that sells them not far from here, will definitely have to give it a try! The macros are amazing!
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Noodle bashing is against the rules.....reported.

Noodles???? P-A-S-T-A!
    Agreed with the bashing against P-A-S-T-A however reported you too for using the N word in a public forum!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    The color is a little disturbing, but the high protein should be a good addition. I may have to look into those. For those that tried them, do they actually soak up any of the sauce or is it more like when you use spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles?
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Personally, I have found the best substitute to be bacon.

non sense! The only sobstitue to pasta is pasta with bacon!
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I never bashed noodles or pasta! I just don't want to eat them as often as my daughter does... which is every day.

These, though, I could eat every day. OM NOM NOM.

I found them in my normal ol' HEB in the gluten-free area. It's worth asking about!
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I will try most foods once.

Bumping for later consideration.