Where do you meet people?

Options

Replies

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    The gym (classes are great places to start) volunteer programs, college (take some night classes if you're already finished) church, parties, dog parks, the grocery store or mall (hot guys gotta shop, too!).
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    why has no one said MFP, yet? Duh.
  • lizzybathory
    Options
    Try to spend more time doing the things you like to do. Anyone you meet doing these things will automatically share at least one important interest with you.

I listen to my single girlfriends talk about going out to bars to meet guys, and it's miserable. They have to talk to so many dudes they have nothing at all in common with before they just happen to talk to one who's interesting.

If you start running a fairly populated running route, you'll start seeing some of the same runners regularly... and they're all potential workout buddies, maybe something more. Same goes for your other interests.

Other than that, look around at work. None of my coworkers are my best friend, but I've hung out with them, and actually met other cool people through them. My circle just keeps on growing by knowing these people, and then meeting the people they hang out with, etc.

And if it comes down to online dating I really recommend OKCupid. Places like Match made me feel like I was interviewing for the position of wife on the first date. I haven't used Tinder but it sounds a lot more sexually oriented than personality? I have used OKC a couple of times; I think it does the best job of casually matching up people with similar interests.
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    The gym (classes are great places to start) volunteer programs, college (take some night classes if you're already finished) church, parties, dog parks, the grocery store or mall (hot guys gotta shop, too!).

Grocery stores! I can definitely see this.

It's been awhile but they have fresh and easy in my old neighborhood and around 5:30 or 6 you would see all the young professionals congregate around the prepared meals. I imagine it's the same at Whole Foods or Trader Joes and it would be easy to start a conversation - have you had that before? Is it worth it? etc.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    You're 22 years old and this is a problem for you? At that age, most of the people I met were in my college classes, or friends of friends.

I met my husband (and a lot of other singles) at the military base I was stationed at. Trust me, if you live near one of those, it's practically a gold mine when it comes to singles.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    live music events, live music at sh!tty bars , library, the bulk barn
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    oh and also from other people you know & dating / hook up sites
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Running club.

Maybe cycling club.

Or Engineering / computer club at your local college / university :D
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I had a much harder time meeting people when I was young than now, so I feel you. However, what worked for me when I was your age was getting a part-time job a couple night shifts as a bartender in a local bar/restaurant. and then I met lots of people through work (friends, too...co-workers), and I had extra $$ on the side. It's hard not to be social in the hospitality industry!

I think it's disappointing that everyone is trying to act like there is something wrong with you for not knowing how to meet people. I think it's good that you're asking. :flowerforyou:
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Anywhere!
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    As a 22 y/o single lady, its difficult to meet nice guys

where do u meet people?! it feels like such a task! (harder than getting fit hahaha)

Don't go looking or expect to be found; Relax .... Start here, see what you'll like, purchase a ticket if you have to and have fun!

http://www.tourisme-montreal.org/What-To-Do/Events

... You don't want to force it.
  • DenDweller
    DenDweller Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I've found it's difficult to keep from meeting people.
  • bluuu123
    bluuu123 Posts: 83
    Options
    I had a much harder time meeting people when I was young than now, so I feel you. However, what worked for me when I was your age was getting a part-time job a couple night shifts as a bartender in a local bar/restaurant. and then I met lots of people through work (friends, too...co-workers), and I had extra $$ on the side. It's hard not to be social in the hospitality industry!

I think it's disappointing that everyone is trying to act like there is something wrong with you for not knowing how to meet people. I think it's good that you're asking. :flowerforyou:

thanks for understanding :)

(note: I don't feel attacked but don't just assume that young = easy to meet people! plus i dont care to date randoms, im mature for my age haha)
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options

thanks for understanding :)

(note: I don't feel attacked but don't just assume that young = easy to meet people! plus i dont care to date randoms, im mature for my age haha)

Meeting people is difficult. Especially for young people when everyone has their head turned toward their phone rather than try to make conversation.

I have a few friends who are shy and my ex is SUPER shy around others - and they've all been trying to go out and meet people. I think it's easier for me because I am the super friendly sort. They? Much less likely to start a random conversation regarding superheroes or funny t-shirts at their coffee shop. They've been having a much harder time.

That being said, a customer service job/volunteer work will offer the opportunity to meet people. Maybe. Ideally. Hopefully.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options

do girls really meet that many men in gym classes?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    As a 22 y/o single lady, its difficult to meet nice guys

where do u meet people?! it feels like such a task! (harder than getting fit hahaha)

Outside.

This
  • runnergirl0721
    runnergirl0721 Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    Meeting the right "type" of people is hard these days. I am 31, and divorced, and things have changed since the last time i was dating...and I hated it then. I would find places that interest you and look for groups that you have interests in. Be it book clubs, running groups, craft groups, etc..Meeting people with similar interests, to me, seems like the best thing to do.
    Since you just moved, try using facebook to see if there are any groups in your area. And I wouldn't use Tinder right off the bat in a new area. It sounds to me like you're looking for friends first, right?
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I dont mean to be a brat but at 22 I wasnt worried about meeting someone...It will happen organic style. Having fun... hahah.

Now 28 with expectations of a certain lifestyle, and future. I think I am very unprepared. I feel like I am too young to change some deal breakers...
    The way I used to meet people going out with friends doesnt work now I am too old to party and meet people like I used to. I mean I still party and have a good time, but those guys I meet are generally not looking for a "real relationship"....they are looking for "fun". (Or they are married.) If single guys want to just go out and JUST have fun...This is fine for them...it just makes meeting organically a little tough because that isnt want I am looking for. Idk. I feel like I am at an age that meeting people is still weird... IMO.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    stay on MFP, there's a very good chance you'll end up in a sexting 'relationship'... with someone who's married
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Don't make it a point to hunt down someone. Just do the things you enjoy. Eventually you will meet someone that you already have at least one thing in common with.

Website personas are deceptive anyways.