Gym virgin - tips please!

Options
After losing 40+ lbs over the last 7 months (with a combination of walking/swimming and calorie counting) I've decided I'm now feeling fit and confident enough to join my local gym. Primarily I'm interested in weight lifting because I like the results I see on here, also I have a cross trainer at home and figure I get a fair bit of cardio with that and the swimming, though I'm not ruling it out.

Aaaaaanyway, I have my induction on Tuesday so, in the meantime, what tips do you guys have for me? What do you wish someone had told you before you started going to the gym? What do I need? What should I do? What should I NOT do? Do I need a 'program'? Do I need to cram protein in me as soon as I finish working out? Funny or serious, I don't mind. All suggestions welcome :-) .

Thanks!

Replies

• tsimblist
    tsimblist Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Here is one tip for you.

Google "Gym Etiquette" and check out some of the recommendations. I found it helpful when I started out in the weight room.

Here is one link for starters:

http://lifehacker.com/this-graphic-is-everything-you-need-to-know-about-gym-e-1584088380
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Rack your weights where they are supposed to go. Don't put the 2.5lb plate behind the 45.

Try not to make your supersets so crazy that you need a ton of equipment. Not only will you get in the way, but it makes you an equipment hog. I used to go to a very small gym, and the squat rack was in the middle of the only open area. A girl would come in on Sundays and take over the entire open area with various sizes of dumbbells, yoga mats, and steps. There was barely enough room left to squat.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Rack your weights where they are supposed to go. Don't put the 2.5lb plate behind the 45.

Yes, for the love of all that is holy in the gym, please re-rack properly. It's just common courtesy.

Also, about OP comment concerning stuffing yourself with protein after a workout: clinical studies have shown that timing of protein intake has no effect on muscle gain (http://www.jissn.com/content/pdf/1550-2783-10-53.pdf). What matters is overall protein consumption - you need to consume more protein than maintenance levels in order to build muscle. You don't have to stuff yourself with it, but your protein intake over the course of your day needs to be sufficient to sustain muscle growth.

What do you need: Only yourself and clothes, and probably a water bottle. Music if you want it. That's all I take to the gym.

Program? It's good to have direction. I prefer StrongLifts 5x5. Great for beginners, ramps up to intermediate. It's a progressive load program, so if you follow it properly (and it's super easy) then you won't get DOMS and won't be discouraged after your first 24-48 hours at the gym.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    You need a lock; either the kind with a combination or a key. If it's a key, rubberband it onto your water bottle or wear it, even while in the shower.

If there is towel service, get one to stand on when you dress/undress. If you shower there, bring shower shoes and a shower cap if you want one; soap and shampoo too. I got a mesh bag to keep them in so they don't mold when they are wet.

Bring a water bottle; the kind that doesn't spill. You can fill it there. If you tend to have senior moments, stick the combination to your locker on the bottom of your soap container AND your water bottle, because one will always be out with you.

Use 2 towels when you shower, for your top and bottom separately, and so they don't fall off and flash everyone, keep them on with large banana hair clips.

It's very handy to keep separate make up wipes, lip gloss, extra moisturizer, etc in your gym bag, so you aren't transferring things back and forth a lot. Bring extra underwear too. Make a list if you think it will help - certain clothes for spinning, weight gloves when you lift, etc. You don't want to carry 10 tons of things around unless you need them.

Be nice to the cleaning people and the desk people & tip them at holiday times. Learn their names if you can.

Don't use your cell phone in the locker room, it's against gym etiquette. If you have an outside pocket of your gym bag, keep your id and lock in there so you are easy in, easy out.

In the wintertime, if you are freaked out about your coat walking away, get a 2nd lock and stick things in a 2nd locker. Try to be unobtrusive about it.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    If they haven't given you a tour, ask for one at the front desk.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Go on with a plan of what you are going to do. It gives you confidence and helps you make the most of your time there.
  • melindanew
    melindanew Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Go in with a plan. Keep a small notebook if you lift so you can see progress. Change it up every 8 weeks or so.

Get in amongst the free weights, don't be self-conscious. Who cares if there are lots of guys?

Get a trainer to at least help you set up a program, if you're not confident to do it yourself. One session will save you heaps of time.

Also, free weights, did I mention?
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    All excellent replies. The lifehacker graphic is pretty exhaustive. And funny.. Etiquette goes both ways - if someone is making you feel uncomfortable, talk to management.

It is great to walk in with a program and a trainer and everything planned out, but don't let that stop you. Google for beginner routines and try one or two exercises to start. Go for form over weight - I've seen people try heavy weights with terrible form. I've seen others who obviously have been lifting a long time do several reps with no weight to imagine the move, then start lifting. Over time you will see women lifting weights and men doing yoga.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to ask someone to show you how something works. 99% of us started dumber than a door nail on how some of these machines work or best type of exercise to do.

However, be respectful of peoples time. I don't mind at all showing someone something between sets...but if I have to take more than 5 mins, then it starts to be a bother.

Also, not everyone is looking at you. You may think they are, but they aren't. For the most part, people are zoned out and simply focusing on their own workouts. They aren't judging you, so go at your own pace and don't worry about what others think.

Don't be afraid to talk to anyone. For some reason, people naturally think "really fit" people are stuck up. Not true. Chances are they will end up being your biggest supports if you get to know them.

Learn the names of the staff members.

Be aware there is a lot of "bro science out there". In other words, people have various opinons on what works and what doesn't and best ways to do something. And most of us, think we are 100% correct. We aren't. The main thing is...do SOMETHING. Almost any action is good. And getting your diet squared away is vital.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    i used to get easily derailed by emotional issues.

i'd get dumped or otherwise pretty upset, i'd skip a few workouts and before i knew it that would be that for a few months, or years.

I guess the point of this post is to try to avoid being derailed by emotional issues, and, if you can, try to make the gym your sanctuary where you WANT to go when everything else is ****
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

It's a progressive load program, so if you follow it properly (and it's super easy) then you won't get DOMS and won't be discouraged after your first 24-48 hours at the gym.

What??! Doing an exercise correctly doesn't mean you don't get doms!!
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Lol^^^

The best tip I can give you is stop being self conscious. Nobody is paying attention to you or judging you. We are too busy focusing on our own workout.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options

It's a progressive load program, so if you follow it properly (and it's super easy) then you won't get DOMS and won't be discouraged after your first 24-48 hours at the gym.

If you do the progressive programs correctly the weight starts low enough at the beginning to reduce or even eliminate DOMS. Most times if you load slowly enough, the most you will ever have is slight muscle tightness.
  • DjinnMarie
    Options
    And slight results I would assume.

If you do the progressive programs correctly the weight starts low enough at the beginning to reduce or even eliminate DOMS. Most times if you load slowly enough, the most you will ever have is slight muscle tightness.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options

For someone new to the. gym starting slowly isn't a bad thing. It will give them time to correct form before the weights get heavy enough to do real damage. IMO DOMS 2 days after you lift is unnecessary for the average recreational lifter.
  • DjinnMarie
    Options
    In my experience, all beginners get DOMS, no matter how light they start. Seasoned lifters get DOMS once they start a new routine, even if they drop the weight. If you aren't getting DOMS as a beginner, or on a new routine, you are doing something wrong.

(Tight muscles is DOMS btw)

For someone new to the. gym starting slowly isn't a bad thing. It will give them time to correct form before the weights get heavy enough to do real damage. IMO DOMS 2 days after you lift is unnecessary for the average recreational lifter.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    The scariest-looking giant lifter guys are usually the nicest people in the gym.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    After losing 40+ lbs over the last 7 months (with a combination of walking/swimming and calorie counting) I've decided I'm now feeling fit and confident enough to join my local gym. Primarily I'm interested in weight lifting because I like the results I see on here, also I have a cross trainer at home and figure I get a fair bit of cardio with that and the swimming, though I'm not ruling it out.

Aaaaaanyway, I have my induction on Tuesday so, in the meantime, what tips do you guys have for me? What do you wish someone had told you before you started going to the gym? What do I need? What should I do? What should I NOT do? Do I need a 'program'? Do I need to cram protein in me as soon as I finish working out? Funny or serious, I don't mind. All suggestions welcome :-) .

Thanks!

Have fun and enjoy
    Don't worry about what others think
    have your workouts planned
    go in every time and make the workouts count, don't half *kitten* it
    get your form and technique down first (with light weights, and check youtube for videos on how to do the exercise).
    don't be afraid to smile and ask for help
  • MityMax96
    Options
    The scariest-looking giant lifter guys are usually the nicest people in the gym.

agree with this
  • MityMax96
    Options
    all for the re-racking of weights properly....

Man that really pisses me off that ppl don't rack their weights where they belong....
    Or leave the weights on the equipment for the next person to move off....:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: