Gym virgin - tips please!

Options

Replies

• DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Yes please. Moving 400 lbs of plates before I can even squat tires me out. And hurts my back.
    all for the re-racking of weights properly....

Man that really pisses me off that ppl don't rack their weights where they belong....
    Or leave the weights on the equipment for the next person to move off....:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode:
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    In my experience, all beginners get DOMS, no matter how light they start. Seasoned lifters get DOMS once they start a new routine, even if they drop the weight. If you aren't getting DOMS as a beginner, or on a new routine, you are doing something wrong.

(Tight muscles is DOMS btw)
    And slight results I would assume.
    Rack your weights where they are supposed to go. Don't put the 2.5lb plate behind the 45.

It's a progressive load program, so if you follow it properly (and it's super easy) then you won't get DOMS and won't be discouraged after your first 24-48 hours at the gym.

What??! Doing an exercise correctly doesn't mean you don't get doms!!
    If you do the progressive programs correctly the weight starts low enough at the beginning to reduce or even eliminate DOMS. Most times if you load slowly enough, the most you will ever have is slight muscle tightness.
    For someone new to the. gym starting slowly isn't a bad thing. It will give them time to correct form before the weights get heavy enough to do real damage. IMO DOMS 2 days after you lift is unnecessary for the average recreational lifter.
    I'm gonna disagree with you, there is a difference between tight muscles and sore muscles.

I'm also gonna disagree that DOMS are a must to be doing things correctly. Pain=/=gain
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Typically at higher weight and lower reps ( 3 - 5 reps )
    DOMS isn't as big an issue.....

DOMS or soreness usually comes in the higher rep ranges >8 reps
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    #1 thing would be to learn correct techniques. #2 bring a hand sanitizer for those times when you forget to wash hands or don't take time for gym showers. Personally, I live close to my gym, so I just shower at home, but occasionally I take a quick run in to the store or get gas or something and several times wished that I had hand sanitizer....esp at the store. When I wash up after a workout, it can sometimes look like chocolate milk running in the sink - it's like......WHAT on earth have I been touching?!? Gross if you think about it.

I also always have a small towel w/me. I work up a sweat when I'm in the gym. Think about gloves if you plan to do any heavy lat pulldowns or anything similar. It helps to not worry about your grip when pulling weight. Focus can be on form and intensity.

Smile occasionally. I've been at the same gym for three years now and only started smiling (on purpose) within the last year. I figured if I didn't smile and wore my headphones everyone would steer clear. They did for awhile, but when results started to appear, people actually came up to me to talk. The consensus was: Why the heck is this chick NEVER smiling? So...now I make an effort to say hi to some people - particularly the regulars. It hasn't killed me yet......

HAVE FUN!!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Make sure you know where all the video cameras are.

There's often video cameras in the obvious areas, like the pool/spa. But there's usually not in the sauna and steam room, because they get damaged from the heat and moisture. Those are good spots, just make sure you hydrate.

If your gym is 24 hours, after 3 a.m. is a great time, as there's no one else there to catch you.

After 3 a.m. the shower is actually a good spot.

Or...wait...maybe that's not what you meant...
  • Markdjones83
    Markdjones83 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Question on the Starting Strength everyone is talking about. Does the book have a program you can follow as far as what lifts to do and when?

EDIT: oops wrong post, but i guess you all can answer in here
  • MityMax96
    Options

There's often video cameras in the obvious areas, like the pool/spa. But there's usually not in the sauna and steam room, because they get damaged from the heat and moisture. Those are good spots, just make sure you hydrate.

If your gym is 24 hours, after 3 a.m. is a great time, as there's no one else there to catch you.

When you going again??
    I think I want to tag along with you. :love: :love: :love: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Question on the Starting Strength everyone is talking about. Does the book have a program you can follow as far as what lifts to do and when?

Take a look at StrongLifts 5x5 too
  • tsimblist
    tsimblist Posts: 206 Member
    Options

I found the book most helpful for the considerable details about proper form for the major movements.

Here is a cheat sheet for the program: http://www.t-nation.com/training/most-lifters-are-still-beginners
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    You need a lock; either the kind with a combination or a key. If it's a key, rubberband it onto your water bottle or wear it, even while in the shower.

If there is towel service, get one to stand on when you dress/undress. If you shower there, bring shower shoes and a shower cap if you want one; soap and shampoo too. I got a mesh bag to keep them in so they don't mold when they are wet.

Bring a water bottle; the kind that doesn't spill. You can fill it there. If you tend to have senior moments, stick the combination to your locker on the bottom of your soap container AND your water bottle, because one will always be out with you.

Use 2 towels when you shower, for your top and bottom separately, and so they don't fall off and flash everyone, keep them on with large banana hair clips.

It's very handy to keep separate make up wipes, lip gloss, extra moisturizer, etc in your gym bag, so you aren't transferring things back and forth a lot. Bring extra underwear too. Make a list if you think it will help - certain clothes for spinning, weight gloves when you lift, etc. You don't want to carry 10 tons of things around unless you need them.

Be nice to the cleaning people and the desk people & tip them at holiday times. Learn their names if you can.

Don't use your cell phone in the locker room, it's against gym etiquette. If you have an outside pocket of your gym bag, keep your id and lock in there so you are easy in, easy out.

In the wintertime, if you are freaked out about your coat walking away, get a 2nd lock and stick things in a 2nd locker. Try to be unobtrusive about it.

Ok, I have to ask, how is it against gym etiquette to use your phone in the locker room? I can understand on the gym floor it being rude but in the locker room? :noway:
  • MityMax96
    Options
    You need a lock; either the kind with a combination or a key. If it's a key, rubberband it onto your water bottle or wear it, even while in the shower.

If there is towel service, get one to stand on when you dress/undress. If you shower there, bring shower shoes and a shower cap if you want one; soap and shampoo too. I got a mesh bag to keep them in so they don't mold when they are wet.

Bring a water bottle; the kind that doesn't spill. You can fill it there. If you tend to have senior moments, stick the combination to your locker on the bottom of your soap container AND your water bottle, because one will always be out with you.

Use 2 towels when you shower, for your top and bottom separately, and so they don't fall off and flash everyone, keep them on with large banana hair clips.

It's very handy to keep separate make up wipes, lip gloss, extra moisturizer, etc in your gym bag, so you aren't transferring things back and forth a lot. Bring extra underwear too. Make a list if you think it will help - certain clothes for spinning, weight gloves when you lift, etc. You don't want to carry 10 tons of things around unless you need them.

Be nice to the cleaning people and the desk people & tip them at holiday times. Learn their names if you can.

Don't use your cell phone in the locker room, it's against gym etiquette. If you have an outside pocket of your gym bag, keep your id and lock in there so you are easy in, easy out.

In the wintertime, if you are freaked out about your coat walking away, get a 2nd lock and stick things in a 2nd locker. Try to be unobtrusive about it.

Ok, I have to ask, how is it against gym etiquette to use your phone in the locker room? I can understand on the gym floor it being rude but in the locker room? :noway:

some ppl may snap pics. :wink:
  • BillRicks1
    BillRicks1 Posts: 473 Member
    Options

The only gym I know locally like the one you describe is the one I belong to!!!!!
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options

some ppl may snap pics. :wink:

lol, never thought of that part! i wish i could erase the "pics" in my head of things i see in the locker room, but i guess there are crazys out there that want to take the pics!
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    #2 bring a hand sanitizer for those times when you forget to wash hands or don't take time for gym showers.

i like that one. dumbell handles might be the filthest things on earth
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Rack your weights where they are supposed to go. Don't put the 2.5lb plate behind the 45.

It's a progressive load program, so if you follow it properly (and it's super easy) then you won't get DOMS and won't be discouraged after your first 24-48 hours at the gym.

What??! Doing an exercise correctly doesn't mean you don't get doms!!

You misread.

Doing the StrongLifts program correctly -progressively loading- will prevent DOMS. Because you don't put too much weight on too early. Your body has time to adjust, and by the time you really are lifting heavy, you're accustomed to the weight. No DOMS.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

You misread.

Doing the StrongLifts program correctly -progressively loading- will prevent DOMS. Because you don't put too much weight on too early. Your body has time to adjust, and by the time you really are lifting heavy, you're accustomed to the weight. No DOMS.

if your brand spanking new then i'd be suprised if you'd get away with zero DOMS, but if this is the one that has you starting out lifting the bar then i can see it.

if your worried about form then it makes sense, otherwise, it seems like it would a waste of time for a lot of people.
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    A great program that I started weight lifting with was Strong lifts. Definitely recommend :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Make sure you focus on form before adding a lot of weights so you don't hurt yourself. Also, what threw me off in my gym when I first started lifting was being one of the very few girls so it was really intimidating and I was very self-conscious. Try your best to ignore them and focus on your own workout. Most people aren't paying you any mind anyways so just do your thing :)
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    In my experience, all beginners get DOMS, no matter how light they start. Seasoned lifters get DOMS once they start a new routine, even if they drop the weight. If you aren't getting DOMS as a beginner, or on a new routine, you are doing something wrong.

Bingo. This seems to be the most common misconception I see. I've been competing for years and every time I drop the weight and up the volume post meet I get doms that sometimes makes me think it would be easier to roll down the stairs than walk down.

Like others have said, re-rack your weights, don't hog, have a plan but most importantly play around and see what you like to do. Everyone says to lift. You may love it you may not. The best way to stick with anything is to find the thing you love to do.
  • Markdjones83
    Markdjones83 Posts: 852 Member
    Options

I found the book most helpful for the considerable details about proper form for the major movements.

Here is a cheat sheet for the program: http://www.t-nation.com/training/most-lifters-are-still-beginners

So basically it just says do the same 2 workouts week in and week out with proper form or doe sit very any beyond that?
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

Bingo. This seems to be the most common misconception I see. I've been competing for years and every time I drop the weight and up the volume post meet I get doms that sometimes makes me think it would be easier to roll down the stairs than walk down.

Like others have said, re-rack your weights, don't hog, have a plan but most importantly play around and see what you like to do. Everyone says to lift. You may love it you may not. The best way to stick with anything is to find the thing you love to do.

whats the misconception?