Realized I'll never be a runner

Options

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    This made me laugh!

My 7 year old was running with me and he said, "mom, you look like you are running to get ice cream."
    I was laughing too hard at him to be mad.

May we all run like we're running to get ice cream.
    :drinker:
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2", and training for a half marathon. Are you telling me that because I don't move like a graceful gazelle that I can never be a real runner?

Jog vs run is just semantics. If you're enjoying it, who cares what you name it?

Nope I'm saying I'm jealous of those "gazelles" that make it look easy while I'm quick stepping and sweating like a hog!

I'm jealous of the girls in the gym (and here) that can squat 160lbs. That's why I'm doing body weight squats now, because I WILL squat heavy. Maybe not this year, or next year, but someday!

I WILL also run even though I'm am currently struggling with C25K due to some knee issues.

If there's a will, there's a way!
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I'll never be a bodybuilder, but I still lift.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Short quick steps are ideal. The kids on the track will do most of their running using high-cadence, shorter strides. They take the long graceful strides (still quickly) when they are on the track doing speedwork. Also, many elite runners are quite short.

I'm glad to hear short steps are ideal because they are the only ones I have.
    I guess I just feel like I'm pushing my short legs as fast as they will go while other people look like gazelles. I won't let it deter me from running because I actually prefer being outside running than on the elliptical.

A candance of at least 180 steps/minute is typically considered ideal. Barring a pedometer device attached to your shoe (or a gps watch with an app that measures this) you can detect your candance by counting the number of times your right foot strikes the ground in 30 seconds then multiplying this by 4.
  • RebeccaMae1983
    RebeccaMae1983 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Short quick steps are ideal. The kids on the track will do most of their running using high-cadence, shorter strides. They take the long graceful strides (still quickly) when they are on the track doing speedwork. Also, many elite runners are quite short.

I'm glad to hear short steps are ideal because they are the only ones I have.
    I guess I just feel like I'm pushing my short legs as fast as they will go while other people look like gazelles. I won't let it deter me from running because I actually prefer being outside running than on the elliptical.

A candance of at least 180 steps/minute is typically considered ideal. Barring a pedometer device attached to your shoe (or a gps watch with an app that measures this) you can detect your candance by counting the number of times your right foot strikes the ground in 30 seconds then multiplying this by 4.

I'll try this tomorrow morning!!
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    So - here's my honest opinion. If you head into running thinking you will never be a runner -- you will probably never be a runner. In my experience, running is about 75% what your brain thinks you can do and 25% what your body is capable of.

Even when I am injured and I don't physically think I can finish what I am aiming for -- If I can talk myself through it I can finish. If I'm well rested, well hydrate, injury free, and able bodied but I am in a bad frame of mind, I'm lucky to get 2 miles.

I would definitely encourage you to find a running training program (I am a lover of C25K - Zen Labs free app) and stop comparing yourself to anyone other than YOU on your last run :smile:
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    This made me laugh!

My 7 year old was running with me and he said, "mom, you look like you are running to get ice cream."

:flowerforyou:
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I definitely look like the dog!
    I could walk all day and I mean all day if i had the time. I only have an hour to an hour and a half in the mornings to walk/run before I have to be back home. I may just try to improve my distance as long as my knees will allow and work on HIIT running later on.

When you say HIIT, do you mean HIGH INTENSITY interval training, or do you just mean you are switching between walking and running?

True HIIT means going all out, balls to the wall, about to die for a short period, then gentle to rest, then repeat. If you are simply running a bit and walking a bit, it is probably not HIIT. And this is what you should be doing! Try to slowly increase the amount you run, but don't go all out.
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I always wanted to be a runner but until about three years ago I just talked myself out of it.....I'm to fat, to short, etc etc...I decided to just try to run for one min one day on the treadmill. I weighed 242 lbs. I took that one minute and added 30 seconds, and so on. I now can run 7-12 miles everyday of the week. My time went from 14 min miles to easy 9's and 8's. Don't be your own Debbie downer. You can do it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You may never be a professional athelete- but that doesn't mean you can't be a runner- and it certainly doesn't preclude you from competing if you so chose.
    While I'm very good at long distance running- my talent lies in mid distance sprints. Meh- I do both because I like them.

Life is to short to let anything hold you back. Especially not yourself.
    If you're going faster than a walk you're a runner. If you love the feeling of running, keep doing it and who cares how fast or long you go?

Comparison is the thief of joy.

boom.

end thread.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    This made me laugh!

:flowerforyou:

Loved this
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I got into the pool and managed to swim about fifteen meters before saying to myself, "I will never be a swimmer." I then quit feeling sorry for myself and continued working on it. I am not yet were I want to be, but I am making huge progress. I swam 400 meters the other day!! Point is, quit putting mental barriers in front of yourself.

"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal" Henry Ford
  • RebeccaMae1983
    RebeccaMae1983 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I definitely look like the dog!
    I could walk all day and I mean all day if i had the time. I only have an hour to an hour and a half in the mornings to walk/run before I have to be back home. I may just try to improve my distance as long as my knees will allow and work on HIIT running later on.

When you say HIIT, do you mean HIGH INTENSITY interval training, or do you just mean you are switching between walking and running?

True HIIT means going all out, balls to the wall, about to die for a short period, then gentle to rest, then repeat. If you are simply running a bit and walking a bit, it is probably not HIIT. And this is what you should be doing! Try to slowly increase the amount you run, but don't go all out.

I was actually doing the HIIT running just because of time restrictions. I was trying to get the most out of my time. The last two runs though I just stayed with a steady pace that worked for me because my knees were bothering me but I was still using the same time limits as the HIIt. I was jogging at a steady pace for 40 seconds then walking for 2 minutes.

The elliptical helped me build up to even being able to run/jog and not run out of breath in 5 seconds. From everything I read about HIIT it boosts your metabolism which I need.
  • Eoghann
    Eoghann Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    That's all right.

I'll never be a photographer and take photos like some of the ones I see the professionals post. But I enjoy the hobby so I keep doing it.

Do you enjoy running? If you do then keep going. If not, well there are lots of other activities.
  • LiveEveryday
    Options
    It has been a dream of mine to become a runner. I am now 43 at 193 (plus usually) We can do it! I believe i would feel so fullfilled after running my first marithon. Keep at it. PLease keep at it. ;)
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    This made me laugh!

Nope- I run for beer!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Barring an underlying medical condition anyone can become a runner, it's just more work for some of than others (and some of us will never set any world records). I'm built low to the ground and will never resemble a Kenyan runner even if I got down to my ideal weight but through sheer stubbornness on my part I've run numerous 5Ks, a handful of 10ks and 7 half-marathons along with a few sprint distance duathlons.

Don't rush the training, if you're looking to become a distance runner I'd suggest forgetting the HIIT for now and focus on building your aerobic base. If you can only run slowly one minute so be it. I started off running (well, more like a slow shuffle) 1 minute and walking 9, then 2 minutes running with 8 minutes walking etc etc until I could run 10 minutes continuously and the gradually built it from there. Believe it or not short strides with a fast foot turnover is a good thing!

Be patient and be consistent. You'll amaze yourself with what you can do with the right training and attitude.

I have "weak" knees something that runs in my family. I have been using the elliptical for 39 days so I built up my endurance and definitely my lungs! I decided HIIT running because 40 seconds is about all I can do before I need a breather and it gives my knees a rest. Right now I'm looking for pure weight loss and I'm down 15 pounds in 39 days. I don't know that I'll ever be a long distance runner based purely on my time restrictions. I just read that HIIT running was good for metabolism boosts.

If you recently got off the elliptical and started running on the road, then your legs will go through a number of adaptions which in the mean time may cause some sensitivity. Pushing too hard during this adaption may cause injury.

The adaptions you will encounter include some of the following:

Your bones will strengethen to accomodate the new pounding your feet and joints take while your feet strike the pavement and harder ground than the soft and smooth striking from elliptical and treadmill. Make sure you consume enough calcium to support this new adpation. Good shoes after a gait analysis from a running store will also help here. Also, limit your time on pavement and suplement with trails and other softer outdoor running while these adaptions occur.

Your joints will also strengthen in time for the same reason as above.

You will build up different muscle groups as you adapt to outdoor running. On a smooth surface like a treadmill or elliptical, you repeatedly use the exact same motion which exercise the same exact muscle groups. In outdoor running, your feet will strike an uneven surface which gives your muscles and body a slightly different workout every time your foot strikes the ground. As you adapt, your muscles will let you know that new muscle groups are being stimulated.

Your body will begin to build new capilliaries to increase blood flow to the muscles being exercised.

Different muscle twitch muscle fibers will be stiumlated depending on the speed of your motion. Fast twitch muscles will be exercised with faster paced running for short periods while slower twitched muscles will be exercised at a slower running paced sustained for much longer distances.

Your cardio vascular system and metobolic rate will make adpations also as you begin to run more. Your aerobic rate (the ability to run with oxygen present in your muscles) will be stimulated as slower paced running (under your aerobic threshold) is sustained. Which translates to better endourance over time. You will notice that you will be able to run for longer distances as you exercise your aerobic rate. Your heart will begin to be more efficient and you will train your body to burn fat as a source of energy. Running certain specialized workouts at faster paces will improve your speed by exercising your anaereobic capability (or the ability to do work without oxygen in your muscles). However, this increases your lactic acid levels temporarily and will force you to slow down to a walk if your body accumlates lactic acid faster than your system can clear it. Anaerobic workouts also deplete your glycogen levels much faster (glycogen is in shorter supply than fat) which will lead to bonking or "hitting the wall". However, the more you tax your glycogen levels during exercise, this will stimulate your body to increase glycogen levels in your body to provide you with more fuel during anerobic activity in future workouts. There is a limit however on how much glycogen your body will store even after long periods of training. Your VO2 level will improve in time to a degree which is the ability to take in more oxygen and the ability to use it to fuel your running workouts.

Your body will make nuerological adaptions. Basically, the more you run, especially outdoors, the better communication between your brain (which tells the body what to do) and the muscles which are moving. The signals from your brain travels through your nervous system. The more you run, the more these pathways are exercised and increases muscle memory. This means your body will learn to move better and more efficiently without much conscious thought.

This is what came to my head. There are probably a few more adaptions I am missing. But the key to becoming a runner is consistency. it doesn't matter how fast you start out at. It is far better to slow down, take your time, let your body make it's adaptions, but stay consistent. Also, your body needs rest mixed in. Try not to run more than 3 or 4 times a week with rest days in between. The days you run stimulate your body and muscles, but on rest days is when your body makes the adaptions for improvement. You also need proper nutrition.

I know this all sounds a bit geeky, but the purpose was to show you that most people can be a runner with minimal risk to injury if you stick with it and become smart about it.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I was a pure elliptical girl until two weeks ago when I got tired of staring at the wall and decided to try and jog/run. I decided to try HIIT running. I was doing 30 seconds then walking for 2 to 3 minutes. This week I'm up to 40 seconds and a 2 minute cool down.

As I was running I look over at the track in front of me and see the high school kids practicing. I could tell which ones were on the track team because they had legs up to their neck and were taking long graceful strides and making it look effortless. I looked down at my feet and realized I was taking short quick steps more of a steady jog and not a run. :cry:

I feel like at 5' 1" I'll never be able to run just be a steady jogger! I guess for me it works because it takes quiet a bit of effort for me to jog because I have to take short quick steps. Maybe after I loose some more weight it will get easier and be less wear and tear on my already bad knees. I guess any kind of exercise is better than none at all. :grumble:

I'm also 5'1" and have a long torso/short legs (my inseam is like 24"). I started running after doing the elliptical for close to a year because I got bored. I probably run like 3.5-4 mph. I get passed by everyone. My husband walks right next to me while I'm running. But, I can run for 45+ minutes straight, I don't get very far, but I'm running. :wink: Who cares? As long as you're improving! If you're better than what YOU used to be, all else is null.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    This made me laugh!

+1