Realized I'll never be a runner

Options

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Jogger= anyone that can cover a mile while moving faster than a walking pace... I have seen 300+ lb linemen "jog" at like maybe 1 mile an hour...

Runner= anyone that can cover a mile in less than 6 minutes... and can do it consistently for several miles...

is that too provocative?

Running like a track star.. takes training and practice... there are a variety of running styles.... there are shufflers, striders, jumpers, stompers, ( my observations)... and for the first time earlier this week I saw a "poser"... literally each stride this fella took looked like he was posing... freaking hilarious...

anyway... before you give up on running... find a place where runners are running... and observe.. some are elegant... some not so much... also watch sports that involve running... soccer, rugby etc...

track running is a special type of running... as opposed to cross country...it's a flat even surface that is designed to be run on... so Runners CAN and do... run... and they concentrate on long even strides... where someone running for fun or fitness... do NOT need that refined reaching stride...

Darn. I don't fit your arbitrary definition.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Thhhpptttt.. YOU are a jogger... not a runner
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    that's not arbitrary...that's what my track coach told me... sure it is an out of fad definition... made so by folks that believe you shouldn't keep score in a kids soccer match... who think spanking is detrimental to little johnny's sense of self... who think... a "participation medal" is just as good as a GOLD medal...

Joogers jog... Runners run... is someone who finishes a marathon in 6 hours a runner? or is someone who finishes in 3 hours a jogger?

Thppptttt!!!!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Jogging is running. It is not sprinting, but it is running.

I am curious, though. When you're on the elliptical - are you particularly graceful, or particularly accomplished at it?

If you are - did you start out that way, or did you learn as you went? Does it make a difference to you if you are or are not, or does it only matter that you finish your workout?
  • RJeria
    RJeria Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Comparison is the thief of joy.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice thanks everyone! I love jogging/running, whatever it is that I'm doing and while I'll always be envious of the gazelles at least I can say I'm moving faster and longer than I even thought possible for me!

I'm going to read up on jogging/running and keep going. I think I may need to cut down to running 3 to 4 days a week because I do the elliptical every day and was adding jogging in the mornings and there are days where I have to push really hard because I'm just doing too much.

Every morning I walk my son to school and when I say I'm going running he always asks me if I'm running to get ice cream! I guess at least I have a goal, to get to that ice cream!
    Definitely cut running to no more than every other day especially at first. Running every day will lead to shin splints and other problems. The elliptical is more than fine for the days between since there's no impact but be very watchful for any pain that might still arise from overdoing it. If you aren't, allow a rest day each week. You really need to take at least one day off and let your body recover.

I'll always be envious of the gazelles, too. Most of us turtles are. The trick is realize that we're all different and built for being great at different things. Those gazelles would be terrible at gymnastics, for instance. I was not bad at it in my youth and I can still do a cartwheel at my age.

One of the funnier things I've heard was at a running expo. Some of the top marathon runners were being interviewed and the interviewer asked about how long it took them to run a marathon. The answer was a little over two hours which for someone like me is insane. The interview turned towards the audience and said "You hear that, folks? He can only run for a little over two hours. I know many of you will still be going 3 or 4 hours longer than he will." The runner then expressed his admiration for people who ran marathons in 5 or 6 hours. He admired their patience and fortitude and their strength of will to be out there for that long because he knew he couldn't run that long at his pace.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    that's not arbitrary...that's what my track coach told me... sure it is an out of fad definition... made so by folks that believe you shouldn't keep score in a kids soccer match... who think spanking is detrimental to little johnny's sense of self... who think... a "participation medal" is just as good as a GOLD medal...

Joogers jog... Runners run... is someone who finishes a marathon in 6 hours a runner? or is someone who finishes in 3 hours a jogger?

Thppptttt!!!!

So because your track coach told you , it isn't arbitrary? Your attempted rationalization is just as off base.

Thank you for illustrating that ignorance is communicable as evidenced by it spreading from your coach to you.
  • RebeccaMae1983
    RebeccaMae1983 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice thanks everyone! I love jogging/running, whatever it is that I'm doing and while I'll always be envious of the gazelles at least I can say I'm moving faster and longer than I even thought possible for me!

I'm going to read up on jogging/running and keep going. I think I may need to cut down to running 3 to 4 days a week because I do the elliptical every day and was adding jogging in the mornings and there are days where I have to push really hard because I'm just doing too much.

Every morning I walk my son to school and when I say I'm going running he always asks me if I'm running to get ice cream! I guess at least I have a goal, to get to that ice cream!
    Definitely cut running to no more than every other day especially at first. Running every day will lead to shin splints and other problems. The elliptical is more than fine for the days between since there's no impact but be very watchful for any pain that might still arise from overdoing it. If you aren't, allow a rest day each week. You really need to take at least one day off and let your body recover.

I'll always be envious of the gazelles, too. Most of us turtles are. The trick is realize that we're all different and built for being great at different things. Those gazelles would be terrible at gymnastics, for instance. I was not bad at it in my youth and I can still do a cartwheel at my age.

One of the funnier things I've heard was at a running expo. Some of the top marathon runners were being interviewed and the interviewer asked about how long it took them to run a marathon. The answer was a little over two hours which for someone like me is insane. The interview turned towards the audience and said "You hear that, folks? He can only run for a little over two hours. I know many of you will still be going 3 or 4 hours longer than he will." The runner then expressed his admiration for people who ran marathons in 5 or 6 hours. He admired their patience and fortitude and their strength of will to be out there for that long because he knew he couldn't run that long at his pace.

I really need to work on a rest day because right now I am using the elliptical 7 days a week and walking/jogging every day that I am able to. I just have that little voice saying you can't take a day off because it will ruin all your hard work. I think I'll work on picking a day and maybe just walk and consider that a day of rest! :smile:
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

Thppptttt!!!!

*sigh*

No, it's not a *participation medal* issue. Trust me, I hate that whole concept.

But jogging is running. It's a gait definition issue. Either you're alternating feet and one foot is on the ground at all times and you're walking, or at some point both feet are off the ground and you're running. There's no in-between.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    what you call effortless i call practice. you think people are just born taking long elegant strides?? well, some are, but i digress...

the point it, that sucking at something is the first step at being kinda good at something.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

Thppptttt!!!!

What you wrote above and what your track coach is spewing out is total hogwash.

What I think you are trying to distinguish is a novice runner from an intermediate runner from an advanced runner from an elite runner. And even those defintions can be arbitrary.

For example, Jack Daniels will base what a novice or elite runner is by finishing times for various races distances against a VO2 max.

Hodge Higgons will base what kind a runner is based upon distances covered within a training plan.
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I was a pure elliptical girl until two weeks ago when I got tired of staring at the wall and decided to try and jog/run. I decided to try HIIT running. I was doing 30 seconds then walking for 2 to 3 minutes. This week I'm up to 40 seconds and a 2 minute cool down.

As I was running I look over at the track in front of me and see the high school kids practicing. I could tell which ones were on the track team because they had legs up to their neck and were taking long graceful strides and making it look effortless. I looked down at my feet and realized I was taking short quick steps more of a steady jog and not a run. :cry:

I feel like at 5' 1" I'll never be able to run just be a steady jogger! I guess for me it works because it takes quiet a bit of effort for me to jog because I have to take short quick steps. Maybe after I loose some more weight it will get easier and be less wear and tear on my already bad knees. I guess any kind of exercise is better than none at all. :grumble:

You've got to walk before you can jog; jog before you can run; run before you can sprint... just keep at it... before you know it, you'll be sprinting without realizing it!!! :smile:
  • tabicatinthehat
    tabicatinthehat Posts: 329 Member
    Options

I really need to work on a rest day because right now I am using the elliptical 7 days a week and walking/jogging every day that I am able to. I just have that little voice saying you can't take a day off because it will ruin all your hard work. I think I'll work on picking a day and maybe just walk and consider that a day of rest! :smile:

The elliptical won't give you the shin splints like road running will.
  • Stoshew71
    Options

But you have to rest or else IT WILL ruin all your hard work due to injury. Educate yourself and that will tame that voice in your head.
  • RebeccaMae1983
    RebeccaMae1983 Posts: 35 Member
    Options

But you have to rest or else IT WILL ruin all your hard work due to injury. Educate yourself and that will tame that voice in your head.

I agree but it's easier said than done in the beginning.

I won't even buy a scale because I know I'd be checking it constantly. I'm a very impatient person so I'm working on that but still want to do some kind of exercise every day even if it's just a long slow walk.
  • Stoshew71
    Options

And the elliptical won't stimulate the necessary adaptions required to improve running to the next higher level.
  • tabicatinthehat
    tabicatinthehat Posts: 329 Member
    Options

And the elliptical won't stimulate the necessary adaptions required to improve running to the next higher level.

Right. But I was just pointing out that the person suggesting rest days meant road running, not the elliptical.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options

YES, this! Also, I'm in good shape and am quite healthy and I DO NOT RUN. I'm a power walker. It is assumed I'm a runner because of my shape and my age, but I am proud to let others know that they can be in just as good as shape as runners by walking. Walking tends to get dismissed as a "starter" workout or easy, but it is only if you treat it that way. I walk super-fast intervals at the track or high-incline intervals at the gym. I do HIIT and only 30 min. of cardio 3 - 4 times a week. I used to do 60 - 90 min. sessions 6 days a week. That was way too much. Since I cut down to what I'm doing now (and increased my weight lifting) I immediately dropped 10 lbs.

Not trying to brag - I just want to emphasize that you can be in fabulous shape and never run or jog a step.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    The cool thing about outdoor running is that by the time someone realizes that my lifter quads look stumpy when I run and I have all the grace of a baby elephant, I'm already gone.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options

Thppptttt!!!!

According to your definition, someone who finishes a marathon in 3 hours is most certainly a jogger. Because that person most likely couldn't run more than about 3 sub 6 minute miles in a row, not 'several' as in your definition.