What to eat when you have excess calories? Like over 600+

Options

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    IMO if your not hungry, I mean truly not hungry, why eat? Why do you feel the need to put into your mouth if your not hungry? I don't understand this. Didn't you get overweight by eating when you weren't hungry?

How do you know how somebody else got overweight? After looking through your last week's worth of diary entries, I personally wouldn't accept any dietary advice from you ... less than 700 total calories one day, a whole bag of Reese's another ... one extreme or another.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    IMO if your not hungry, I mean truly not hungry, why eat? Why do you feel the need to put into your mouth if your not hungry? I don't understand this. Didn't you get overweight by eating when you weren't hungry?

Hunger isn't a good gauge of how much you need to eat - if a 35 year old man is eating 1200 calores a day* - then yes - he should eat, not matter what his body says.

*Aims for 1800 - but still has 600+ left to eat. That's already low for a man.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I find myself after days I workout or go cycling to have a huge amount of calories in excess from MFP diary.

What are some of the things everyone eats that is healthy but still can help count against those calories.

My issue is that by the end of the day I could be sitting with a surplus of 600+ calories and I feel my body is not getting the nutrition it really needs to be efficient. I try to eat as close to 1800 calories a day. Some days I hit it and some I am under a couple hundred. I am never hungry though.

A thought was triggered in me because over the weekend - I did not get a chance to work out like I wanted to and in a span of 7 days I only went to the gym once and had a nice walk/hike on another day.

This resulted in me loosing 3lbs in one week (I ate well and did not overeat while I was away) - could this be because on normal weeks when I cycle and workout I am doing calisthenics 1-2 times a week with an average 2-3 rides during that same time of 60-80 miles during that time. Am I just not eating enough?

If so what to eat?

Make good choices,
    Phil

Good fats like avocados, nuts, organic butter and cheese, eggs, steak. If you are thinking the cholesterol is not good for you, think again. There has never been any evidence that eating cholesterol gives you "high cholesterol". The body makes far more cholesterol every day than most people could eat. When you eat cholesterol, your body just cuts back on the amount that it makes. Fats are good for you even though they are high in calories--and in this case, calories are what you want. :smile:
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

How do you know how somebody else got overweight? After looking through your last week's worth of diary entries, I personally wouldn't accept any dietary advice from you ... less than 700 total calories one day, a whole bag of Reese's another ... one extreme or another.

My diary isn't a delight of how to eat but yikes :ohwell:
  • CrunchyDad
    CrunchyDad Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with having a little larger deficit once in a while, especially if it's from exercise. If it's every day, or if you are truly eating too few calories too often, then I'd just snack on whatever sounds good those days :o

Personally I feel pretty good ending a day with a 600 cal deficit once in a while, but that still leaves me with around 1400 eaten, so not too few.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I feel my body is not getting the nutrition it really needs to be efficient.
    What does your body say it needs? Usually when we're lacking in a nutrient we crave foods high in that.

If your aim is weight loss and by 'nutrition' you mean 'calories', you want as little efficiency as you can get. That's why people exercise and eat high protein and high fiber-- less efficiency means more calories are used up, just like a less efficient car uses more gas.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    Nothing wrong with having a little larger deficit once in a while, especially if it's from exercise. If it's every day, or if you are truly eating too few calories too often, then I'd just snack on whatever sounds good those days :o

Personally I feel pretty good ending a day with a 600 cal deficit once in a while, but that still leaves me with around 1400 eaten, so not too few.

Seriously?

Do you do nothing all day because as a 5"2 woman I need more than that when I do nothing all day, and that is to lose weigh.

NOTHING ALL DAY.
  • carolineat111
    carolineat111 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have to do this most days. I do peanut butter, protein shake made with skim milk, an omelet with a little cheese and some turkey, things like that. I *always* make sure it's a high protein meal. Some days I'll leave a big deficit but 95% of the time I eat extra because I'm trying to gain muscle.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    I have to do this most days. I do peanut butter, protein shake made with skim milk, an omelet with a little cheese and some turkey, things like that. I *always* make sure it's a high protein meal. Some days I'll leave a big deficit but 95% of the time I eat extra because I'm trying to gain muscle.

You can't gain muscle on a deficit as a general rule. BUT you can try to minimise muscle loss with a decent amount of protein and a heavy lifting programme while losing weight.
  • eels4peels
    eels4peels Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Ice Cream topped with Peanut Butter and Whipped Cream. Ohhhh Yessss
  • brianpperkins
    Options

1400 total eaten by an adult make is usually way too low.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options

Hunger isn't a good gauge of how much you need to eat - if a 35 year old man is eating 1200 calores a day* - then yes - he should eat, not matter what his body says.

Not hungry is not hungry and NO one should force themselves to eat if they truly aren't hungry. He can make better choices in his foods thru out the day to be sure not to get into that kind of negativity intake. That's the advice that should be given, not eat even though you aren't hungry.
  • brianpperkins
    Options

yep cause that's how I do things.......NOT......I don't usually eat with my emotions but last week I did. And my calorie intake is quite frankly non of your damn business and neither is what I eat. And what gives you the right to judge me? You don't know me. And your telling me that (I'm assuming you are or were overweight) that you didn't get that way by eating when you weren't hungry? I had a very emotional week last week and your going to judge me without knowing the why's or what's of it...SMDH. You should be ashamed of yourself for dipping in my business where you clearly have no reason to be. STFO of my personal space.

YOU put the information in the public domain. YOU chose to tell others how to eat. YOU made general statements that don't hold true. YOU made assumptions that are not true. Get as upset as YOU want, but directing that anger at me is misplaced. Look in a mirror and yell at the person you see there. They are the common denominator in all of this.

If YOU bothered to pay attention .. I didn't judge you. I simply stated that I would not take dietary advice from you. A wise decision based on your public diary and public admission that you "had a very emotional week" that somehow justifies an entire bag of Reese's (according to YOUR diary). Telling others what they should do when you don't do it yourself is hypocritical ... again, something you should discuss with the person you see in the mirror.

If truth makes you lash out and tell others to "STFO" (as though initials truly hide your profane intent) ... it is revealing.
  • brianpperkins
    Options

Not hungry is not hungry and NO one should force themselves to eat if they truly aren't hungry. He can make better choices in his foods thru out the day to be sure not to get into that kind of negativity intake. That's the advice that should be given, not eat even though you aren't hungry.

Hunger is not a true indication of bodily needs.
  • splashtree2
    Options
    i think you're getting instead all the nutrition you need if you eat more you'll not loose if you feel like eating eat proteins or a couple of fruits no peanut butter as many suggested or ice cream is pointless
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    i think you're getting instead all the nutrition you need if you eat more you'll not loose if you feel like eating eat proteins or a couple of fruits no peanut butter as many suggested or ice cream is pointless

Peanut butter has protein. Ice cream has 3g of protein per serving.
  • heymoe012
    heymoe012 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Panang Curry!! MMMM. Trader Joes has a frozen Vegetable Panang curry with rice that is quite tasty. I have to budget for it, as it is about 600 calories.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Why no to peanut butter? Because it has fat?
    Ice cream is pointless? Please explain why that is.

Let combine those ideas and recommend peanut butter flavored ice cream. It tastes good and can help make up the 600 desired calories. If it fits your macros I see nothing wrong with it

33aezd1.jpg
This discussion has been closed.