Crockpot Creamy Reuben Soup (133 calories per serving)

Options

Replies

• FoogooFish
    FoogooFish Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Are you from the midwest? I don't meet too many people outside Nebraska who know what a reuben is :) This sounds so yummy! I'll be forwarding to my parents, they eat reubens weekly lol!

I'm from New England and it's known here. And, quite the transformation you have going there, according to your profile pic. Nicely done.

Even here in Alabama, it's known. It's not common, but everyone knows what it is lol.

There are at least a half-dozen shops in my Alabama neck of the woods where I can enjoy a Reuben. I don't think they're all that uncommon anymore! =) Of course, the best one I've ever had was at a locally owned pub in NW Pennsylvania. The Yanks definitely have the advantage when it comes to Reubens! =D

I'll be trying this soup at some point - thanks for the recipe!
  • lisamama42
    lisamama42 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    sounds great ty
  • dedicationandcommitment
    Options
    this looks absolutely amazing!! Thanks for sharing!
  • mwcontois
    mwcontois Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Would have been nice if the sodium wasn't thru the roof per serving. I need low sodium recipes...over 4100 mg per serving of sodium (per cup)? Looks like a soup made for those with low blood pressure
  • droxeene
    droxeene Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Oh My Yum!
    :happy:
  • glory2Him
    glory2Him Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    In
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Are the caraway seeds absolutely necessary? I don't think I have any and hate buying spices for a recipe that Hubs or I might end up hating (you never know)

Also, I think a nice way to sum up your feelings is "comfort food" :)

Caraway is a kind of cumin. Maybe try cumin if you have it?
    Alternatively how about mustard (powder)? Yellow liquid mustard would probably mix it fine too actually.

Caraway and Cumin are related as is Fennel but in no way taste alike, this soup looks delish!!!
  • kzooprincess
    kzooprincess Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Yummy! Love reubens and I'm born and raised in Michigan.
  • jole721
    jole721 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    That looks absolutely amazing!! I am in Ohio but I know exactly what a reuben is...this soup has all the wonderful elements without the bread and the calorie count is awesome. Pretty sure this is going to become a big hit at our house...we love soup and this will be a new one to add to my list! Thank you a million times!
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    So I've made this a few times now. I make it with full fat everything because that actually works better for my goals (OK, I'm lying, I just don't do low fat....ever). With the amounts listed this only comes out to about 4 servings for myself and my husband, but that's a big bowl and that + a couple slices of rye bread makes dinner. At four servings and full fat it comes out to 669 calories per serving, so still pretty damn good for me. Also, I leave the lid OFF the pot during the last hour to help it thicken up, otherwise it's a bit watery for my tastes. All that said, very tasty and has quickly become a regular in our household. :drinker:
  • peejaygee1
    peejaygee1 Posts: 3,588 Member
    Options
    Bookmarking for later
  • ljpjones
    ljpjones Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    This sound delicious, I do love Rubens :)
  • PLAID1977
    PLAID1977 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to try this! We love Reuben ANYTHING! I make Reuben Dip, Reuben Egg Rolls, Reuben Lasagna...and now Reuben Soup! Thanks!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Are the caraway seeds absolutely necessary? I don't think I have any and hate buying spices for a recipe that Hubs or I might end up hating (you never know)

Also, I think a nice way to sum up your feelings is "comfort food" :)

Caraway is a kind of cumin. Maybe try cumin if you have it?
    Alternatively how about mustard (powder)? Yellow liquid mustard would probably mix it fine too actually.

Caraway and Cumin are related as is Fennel but in no way taste alike, this soup looks delish!!!

Ah, in that case, I'd stick with mustard. It would be yummy with mustard since a lot of reubens in my area come with mustard too.
  • Pea4jjab
    Pea4jjab Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Thanks WadeLam. I made this today and it is amazing. I used half turkey pastrami and half beef pastrami.
    Even with low sodium ingredients the recipe is still high, but I'm not complaining just wanted to share.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    YUMMO
  • Nijelako
    Nijelako Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you...Yum! : )
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    In for this weekend, as well. I think I'm going to have to bookmark this guy for my dinners. :D

And, it's soup weather!