Crockpot Creamy Reuben Soup (133 calories per serving)

Options

Replies

• kimba1958
    Options
    I made this recipe and was so happy I did. It's so easy & tasty. It's filling and low calories. YUMMY!! I highly suggest trying this one out.
  • Babyzoom
    Babyzoom Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Bumping for the BF.Thanks
  • kimba1958
    Options
    bump
  • clumsymofro
    clumsymofro Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    So I tried this out over the weekend.

My husband doesn't like sauerkraut so he wouldn't even attempt it.

Things I changed around:

- I cooked it on the stovetop. I used a big Le Creuset Dutch oven with the metal bottom, the quality stuff. If you cook it on the stove, make sure and use a good quality pot like this. THIS SOUP IS MESSY - you will spend time scrubbing the pot clean. I'd use a crock-pot liner if I were making it in the crock.
    - I didn't have half and half available (forgot it at the store), so I substituted whole milk mixed with melted butter. Worked fine.
    - Only had 6 ounces of Swiss, so I substituted cheddar for the rest. Again, worked fine.
    - Omitted the celery. (Can't stand the taste.)
    - Only used half a pound of corned beef (due to expense - see below)

The taste was really good, though I can't say that it really tasted so much like a "Reuben" as I know it. Not sure of the revised calorie count, since I had to make a lot of substitutions, but I suspect it's still not that high. Not real "creamy" as in a "cream of" soup, though, so if that's what you're looking for, you're going to be disappointed. It's going to be really good for a cold winter night.

I'll probably make this again, but not too often due to the cost - deli corned beef in my area is EXTREMELY expensive. (I used Boar's Head as recommended and it came to 14.99 a pound - uh.... that's a LOT of money.)

Verdict: Not bad. 7 out of 10.
  • LMRoses
    LMRoses Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    This looks like an awesome addition to my repertoire, but I just have one question. What is half and half? Something we must know by a different name here in Australia :)
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    looks yum!
  • carrielynn62
    carrielynn62 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I love reubens! and This soup looks and sounds wonderful.
  • gmbuccino
    gmbuccino Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This is a definite on my list of things to try--sounds delicious!
  • WadeLam
    WadeLam Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    This looks like an awesome addition to my repertoire, but I just have one question. What is half and half? Something we must know by a different name here in Australia :)
    The dairy product half-and-half is a mixture of one part milk and one part cream. :)
  • Keeta83
    Keeta83 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Bump...this sounds yummy!
  • happygirl556
    happygirl556 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    yum love soup
  • ckrame0016
    ckrame0016 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DragonflyBoudica
    DragonflyBoudica Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness! This is the soup that I've been missing my entire life! Never had this before. It looks awesome!!! Thank you for sharing. Can't wait to make it. Beer would be good with this & Reuben toast. :happy:
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Just put the ingredients on my shopping list...will be making this for Thursday dinner! I have a feeling that the leftovers will be even better than "premier night." Can't wait. :bigsmile:
  • bologna_burger
    Options
    Yum. Thank you.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    YUM! Thank you for sharing. I will definitely be trying this one...love soup.
  • gurgi22
    gurgi22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ANewCrystal4Life
    ANewCrystal4Life Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I love love love Rubens. I make a Ruben bake since I try not to eat a lot of bread. I will def be making this but one of the things I love the most about a ruben is the dressing.... wondering how it is with out the tang of the dressing?!?!