Anyone else on a high-carb, low-protein diet?

Options
124»

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    It's all personal preference. After all these studies I've noticed one thing: there are very minimal differences. It's all about calories in - calories out. If loading up on carbs helps you do that, go for it.

The average adult needs 55g of protein a day. I personally have trouble hitting that so protein is a big factor in what I eat. Even a body builder only needs 115g of protein per day. Anything more is overkill and has been proven to leech calcium.

The environmental effects of these meat based diets is devastating. In one acre of land, a few years, pounds upon pounds of grains and water, I can make 16 lbs. of beef. In that same acre, I can make 20k lbs of potatoes in one season. No grain, no water to feed that grain, and just water to feed the potatoes. Do the math. If people don't start cutting their meat intake and eating more fruits and vegetables, we'll be in a severe food crisis by 2020.

Look, I work in ecology and environmental fields and I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but going plant based really isn't going to fix this issue. Especially if you're from a first world country. I encourage everyone to make environmentally mindful choices when it comes to their food, but the simple fact of the matter is there are too many damn people in locations where infrastructure or govt. issues prevent adequate distribution of food. Going plant based sounds great on the surface, but there can be severe consequences depending on how that change over is handled.

It's my understanding that we continue to produce sufficient food but that issues are related to distribution and waste. Even in Western Europe, a rapid switch to a different food sourcing pyramid risks radically changing social landscapes and killing off the small farms which are the backbone historical cultures. France without a thousand cheeses? What sadness.

The end of world scenario by 2020 seems rather scaremongering than realistic.

As to the numbers proposed the are ridiculously low. My own RDA based on US standard equation as a minimum is 72 grams for and endurance athlete.
    Reference: Dietary Reference Intakes For Energy, Carbohydrate, Fiber, Fat, Fatty Acids,Cholesterol, Protein,and Amino Acids, Institute of Medicine of the National Academies Link: www.nap.edu

However, given current best recommendation for a bodybuilder these are closer to 140 g/day for my current training. That 55g/115g that the OP proposes as best fit, just isn't true. At least based on educated primary research review.

This doesn't even bring in to account issues affecting waterways and ocean eutrophication from the additional chemical load required to produce the plant mass necessary for consumption. And the fact that when most people go off farm animals for their protein they often move to fish/shellfish as an alternative, and there are real numbers indicating that our large fish consumption is already well beyond maxed out.

Honestly, you really want to make a difference, start eating bugs, 100% serious on this.

I've always wanted to try fried grasshoppers. I wonder if they are like Tamagogani or Kanikko (basically sweetened dried/roasted mini crabs).

My Hispanic students in LA used to bring me roasted crickets all the time. Very tasty, and an excellent low ecological impact protein source.

I eat bugs. Well, when I'm back in Mexico, especially the south. Fried grasshoppers, chapulines, taste like lemon and salt, just crunchy. We also eat a small type of worm called jumlies while they are still alive in central Mexico. Various escarabajos or beetles are eaten in the south - cooked or raw. But it will never be a major dietary part. They are just snacks. Getting sufficient volume on insects isn't going to happen.

There would have to be a massive change in opinions on them as a food and protein source. They can be farmed for large scale production and the numbers actually look pretty good for how it would work (completely theoretical at this point obviously). I did see a post from a friend a couple of days ago. There is at least one company out now that is producing protein/energy bars from, I want to say it was cricket flour. The problem is convincing people that eating food with cricket flour in it isn't going to kill them. :ohwell:

Well, if massively farming them is going to be a thing, let's take in to the next level. When I was in grad school, a guy in my lab was working on large growth tanks for insect cells - a grasshopper cell line, I think. He was looking into the line as a potential Pharma line but why not use that as a protein source? Last I heard these were effectively growing in 4000 liter tanks. Much like Quorn, I'd think.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    It seems like high-protein, low-carb diets are the maximum rage right now, but I was wondering if anyone else on here was on a high-complex-carb, low-protein diet. My percentages are 65/25/10. Anyone else?
    ?
    Those numbers seem way off to me, especially if the 65% is carbs. .I eat 40 percent carbs, the rest divided between fat and protein. I feel fantastic.
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    lol. To the original question, I'm not on ANY "diet" - I basically eat what I want, when I want, and bust my behind at the gym 4-6 days a week ;)

BUT, that was a good question.....lol. Cause I decided to check my Nutrition tab in the MFP app, and I appear to be running high on carbs at the moment.....lol. It's just what I eat......I've been trying to incorporate more nuts/seeds/etc.....but I typically use 1 Nutribullet shake per day, which contains Spinach OR kale.....a scoop or 2 of protein powder, a banana, or 100g or so of grapes.....and a tbsp of either Chia Seed or Flax Seed meal.....i typically use the shake in the a.m. for breakfast....but lately I've been using it post work out.....

But yea, that's funny, cause high protein, low carb is like all the rage now, but I'm still losing lbs on this apparent "high carb" low protein "lifestyle" I got going hah.
  • ChefSteveUrso
    ChefSteveUrso Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    One school of thought regarding which diet is better for weight loss and maintenance, high protein or high carb, is that there are different types of people and how there bodies react to or process protein and carbs. Different people thrive on one or the other, for instance Eskimos can thrive on nothing but meat and fat and Tibetan monks thrive on a vegetarian diet. If there diets were reversed a high percentage of them would probably experience different health problems. It sounds feasible to me, the trick is getting to know what type you are. Personally I wanted to start eating a mainly plant based low protein diet starting a few years ago at middle age. I did ok health wise mainly because I gave up most processed foods but didn't really lose a lot of weight. Now I know that my body doesn't do well with grains and starchy carbs. But I thrive on protein fat and vegetables which should have been obvious to me based on my body type, I'm very wide and heavily muscled naturally. I'm built like a meat eating predator even though I wanted to be a vegetarian. In fact my last name means bear, I don't know how that came about. Other people do great on low protein diets. Most of the thriving vegetarian /vegans I've befriended over the years naturally have a totally different body structure than mine. I would like to see people stop arguing about it on MFP especially the high protein camp, who many of, but not all, seem to be overly aggressive and down right rude about their beliefs.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Well, if massively farming them is going to be a thing, let's take in to the next level. When I was in grad school, a guy in my lab was working on large growth tanks for insect cells - a grasshopper cell line, I think. He was looking into the line as a potential Pharma line but why not use that as a protein source? Last I heard these were effectively growing in 4000 liter tanks. Much like Quorn, I'd think.

That's exactly it, why not? We already know it CAN be done. It's convincing the market to support it that's the problem at this point.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

That's exactly it, why not? We already know it CAN be done. It's convincing the market to support it that's the problem at this point.

Protein powders and chicken nuggets already prove people will eat anything if its marketed right.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

Protein powders and chicken nuggets already prove people will eat anything if its marketed right.

LOL, exactly.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Knock yourself out. Let us know how your body composition is in a year or so.
  • serenahhhhh
    Options
    ive been vegan for a while now, on and off eating under 1200 cals, following myfitnesspals percentages. But I could just never stick with it. After I began eating a high carb vegan diet, I feel nourished and healthy and have tons of energy. I am eating around 1500 cals per day and I get to eat so much compared to what I was eating before.i am eating the same percentages as you. No wonder I wasn't sticking with my diet before, I was under nourishing myself then binging. I feel like carbs satisfy me more as well. however, I am fairly new to this still, but I am definitely seeing benefits.
  • eomuno215in541
    eomuno215in541 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    We all have google. We all have slightly different goals too. If hi-carb achieves your goals, then its right for you. I suggest people try any change for at least 2 weeks then check progress. I don't see results sooner.