Should I eliminate grains?

Options
Good evening!

This isn't really a question about eliminating food for weight loss, since it's all about calories in and calories out. But studies and books keep popping up about how bad grains are for you, how they are a product of an unnatural arigcultural environment and how they aren't digested that well by our stomachs and things like that.

I'm a vegan so I do eat grains from time to time. Mostly though, it's just 3/4 of a cup of brown rice and occasionally Skinnypop. I very rarely eat bread (it's been two months since the last time) and when I do it's Ezekiel bread. I'm wondering if I should stop eating grains all together, or reduce my amount of rice to 1/2 of a cup at the very least.

What is your stance on grains?

Replies

• CrunchyDad
    CrunchyDad Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Your best bet is to try cutting them out entirely for a month or so, and see if you feel any better. If you do, then decide if it's worth sticking to it.

Everyone has a different level of tolerance when it comes to grains, and gluten. So you may not feel any difference.

Personally, I try to avoid them where I can, because I feel way better when I do. But, I give in to temptations all too often, and the way I feel after always reminds why I shouldn't.

It's amazing how your body will get used to something that isn't good for it over the years, so you don't realize anything is wrong until you cut it out entirely. Then when you try eating it again, for some people it makes them physically sick. This is how I am with dairy. Grains just make me feel bloated, foggy and sometimes lethargic now.

Good luck with your decision.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Ignore it. There are certainly people, such as celiacs, who benefit from cutting out grains, but if you're not one of them it makes no sense. Not to mention, that as a vegan you would be cutting out yet more foods and making your diet even more difficult. This is yet good fad that will pass in time.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    grains are only bad for you if they make you ill (like celiacs, for example). Why are you looking for reasons to further restrict your diet? Being vegan is already challenging.
  • nykismile
    nykismile Posts: 198
    Options
    I'm definitely not celiac and I don't really have any kind of unpleasant symptoms when I eat grains, which is a good thing. Vegan is only restrictive if you let it be :) I'm not really looking to restrict it necessarily, but I just couldn't help but read those studies about how grains are dangerous and wonder if I should change my diet further.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely not celiac and I don't really have any kind of unpleasant symptoms when I eat grains, which is a good thing. Vegan is only restrictive if you let it be :) I'm not really looking to restrict it necessarily, but I just couldn't help but read those studies about how grains are dangerous and wonder if I should change my diet further.

I've yet to see any studies that support grains being bad for people who don't have medical issues with them. Just some "documentaries" and people selling books. The main such book is Wheat Belly-- here's an article studying the claims from the book that I found interesting:

http://www.aaccnet.org/publications/plexus/cfw/pastissues/2012/OpenDocuments/CFW-57-4-0177.pdf

Being vegan is challenging enough-- I wouldn't add further complications, especially if you don't feel like grains are negatively affecting you.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,082 Member
    Options
    Unless you have coeliac disease or Crohns disease or something like that, I see no need to eliminate any grains from your diet.

I'm sure there are books saying otherwise - but use some discermnment with what you are reading.:wink:
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    There is evidence that a low-carb diet (as opposed to a low-fat diet) does more to improve various health problems, but no, I wouldn't cut out any food group entirely unless there's a medical reason (as others have already given examples of).

Here are some studies comparing low fat & low carb.
    No, this site itself isn't a good source of info, but the article provides summaries of the data and links to the published studies in reputable sources.
    http://authoritynutrition.com/23-studies-on-low-carb-and-low-fat-diets/
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor. They'll probably say no unless you're allergic.
  • Dgydad
    Dgydad Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Good evening!

This isn't really a question about eliminating food for weight loss, since it's all about calories in and calories out. But studies and books keep popping up about how bad grains are for you, how they are a product of an unnatural arigcultural environment and how they aren't digested that well by our stomachs and things like that.

I'm a vegan so I do eat grains from time to time. Mostly though, it's just 3/4 of a cup of brown rice and occasionally Skinnypop. I very rarely eat bread (it's been two months since the last time) and when I do it's Ezekiel bread. I'm wondering if I should stop eating grains all together, or reduce my amount of rice to 1/2 of a cup at the very least.

You are descended from hunter-gatherers. Grains have been a part of your species' diet for ages. Worry about getting the proper amount, and in the whole form insofar as is possible. The current focus of your concern is a waste of energy & time.....
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    That's **** .. unless there is some medical reason for you to not eat something, there is no such thing as bad food.

I expect soon to see a thread on here .. "Should I drink the water ?"
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    I am intolerant to some grains, and since I have mostly cut out bread, cereal, pasta and the like..I have no more acid reflux.

You may well be intolerant to grains but have built a tolerance over time. Best way to determine this, is to go without grains for 30 days, reintroduce after 30 days, if you don't have any bloating, inflammation, acid reflux or any other gut/bowel issues...good to go.
  • dedflwrs
    dedflwrs Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I had a great-uncle that kept eliminating things from his diet. First it was pork, then red meat, then chicken, then dairy, then grains, then fruits. Eventually, he discovered, through much research, that most things had some sort of problem: they were known allergens, or they were treated with chemicals, etc. Eventually he decided that the only safe things to eat were onions and limes. Just as he was getting used to this diet, he died.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    But studies and books keep popping up about how bad grains are for you, how they are a product of an unnatural arigcultural environment and how they aren't digested that well by our stomachs and things like that.

No, they don't. We evolved eating grains and have done so for hundreds of thousands of years.
  • dedflwrs
    dedflwrs Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    That's **** .. unless there is some medical reason for you to not eat something, there is no such thing as bad food.

I expect soon to see a thread on here .. "Should I drink the water ?"

I own a vegetarian cafe and at one time I had a customer told me that if I really cared about my customers I would not sell water since it is bad for you. Real story.

I also had a couple come in and tell me that they were vegan, gluten free, oil free and soy free. They wanted to know what I could prepare for them to eat. They were very offended when I replied "lettuce"
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Good evening!

OP- - -my stance on grains is they are part of a balanced diet. Since you do IF and some days do not eat til 2:30PM and you weigh 111 pounds I'd suggest cutting yet another food group from your intake isn't not a healthy choice. Best of luck.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Good evening!

Unless you forage in the wild, the fruits and vegetables you currently eat are also products of "an unnatural agricultural environment." Our air-conditioned homes are an "unnatural environment." Just because it's different than it was 40,000 years ago doesn't make it bad for you.
  • zetodd
    zetodd Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    There is this thing called the nocebo effect, combine that with people trying to sell books and products, and you get the anti-grain movement. There is a percentage of the population that has an intolerance or issue with grain, and this really has nothing to do with how natural it is for humans to consume it. Just like with a low-carb diet, are the benefits from eliminating evil-item X or from eliminating the junk that food is in from your diet (cakes, donuts, pies, etc.)

Generally the this-food-is-evil people point at wheat, not grains in general.
  • nykismile
    Options
    I had a great-uncle that kept eliminating things from his diet. First it was pork, then red meat, then chicken, then dairy, then grains, then fruits. Eventually, he discovered, through much research, that most things had some sort of problem: they were known allergens, or they were treated with chemicals, etc. Eventually he decided that the only safe things to eat were onions and limes. Just as he was getting used to this diet, he died.

That's a bit extreme but I see the point you're getting at.
  • nykismile
    Options
    Good evening!

OP- - -my stance on grains is they are part of a balanced diet. Since you do IF and some days do not eat til 2:30PM and you weigh 111 pounds I'd suggest cutting yet another food group from your intake isn't not a healthy choice. Best of luck.

Fair enough, I think.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Do you have celiac, or a diagnosed allergy or intolerance? If you answered no then enjoy your grains...