Should I eliminate grains?

Options

Replies

• azymth99
    azymth99 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    A great deal of the "studies" involving agriculture being an unnatrual food for humans are based more on conjecture than scientific evidence. Man has been eating bread and grains since the Paleolithic era. Unless you have celiac, grains are perfectly fine for you. For a vegan, you NEED to eat grains since you are not eating protein from meat.

Gluten is Protein. Man ate bread when he couldn't eat meat and it kept him alive- because it has protein.
  • wagglesworth
    wagglesworth Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Crunchy Dad's answer was a great one. That's the one I would listen to.
  • abear007
    abear007 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    What is your stance on grains?
    If it spikes the blood sugar and thus insulin production, then I tend to avoid them. I may allow a cheat once in a great while though.

Correction: I should have added, I tend to avoid them IF they aren't considered nutrient dense. For instance, I almost never eat things made of white refined flour and/or sugar. But I will have a baked potato occasionally because they have lots of good stuff in them, even though they are high on the index. I just make it a habit to eat something with them - like chicken - to counteract the spike.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Crunchy Dad's answer was a great one. That's the one I would listen to.

It's also fraught with bad reasoning. If you eliminate any food for a while and reintroduce it you are likely to suffer from gastrointestinal distress. Try eating cabbage or broccoli after not eating them for a while and see how it goes. It's similar to the distress people suffer from visiting foreign countries and eating the food for the first few times. It's quite a leap of logic to then conclude that the food is unhealthy. There is, of course, potential FODMAPS issues for some people, in addition to celiac, but unless someone is having trouble it makes no sense to start eliminating foods from one's diet on a Quixotic quest to find a problem.
  • butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Most of the literature about grains not being good is misguided....lumping together many peoples intolerance to grains with the history of agriculture really overlooks just how messed up the last 100 years of agriculture have been. Most grains (excepting gluten) are okay for most people, especially when prepated as indigenous people did for tens of thousands of years-soaking then slow cooking. The phytic acid in grains can be removed by soaking them, rinsing off the soaking water, and then slow cooking them. Which is also a way of reducing phytic acid for nuts and seeds as well. Except instead of cooking the nuts/seeds you dry them at a low temp. Lots of the problems with grains come from contemporary agriculture treatment of topsoil and GMO seeds. Depleted soil in constant tillage with super short roots (GMOs are bred to be short and also have super short roots) doesn't make for nourishing food. Some people (myself included) say its not even really food at all. Grains can be grown in a way that builds soil and nourishes both land and people; I've met a few organic grain farmers who have great practices.
    I think soaked/slow cooked organic grains are healthy for most people and the soaked sprouted breads like Ezekial brand. For a vegan elu.imaging grains would make it difficult to get complete proteins.
    You should try the soaking/slow cooking!
  • ashleearoha
    ashleearoha Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I have cut out all grains since I have gone Paleo and it has been really good for me! You'd be surprised how easy it is to get good carbs through vegetables and sweet potato. I had been completely paleo for 2 weeks and went out for lunch with my family on the weekend and had a salad that had a bit of cous cous in it and my body was like no! I know I perform better in my daily life and during running and crossfit without the grains :)

That being said its what works for you! try cutting them out for a week and see how you feel.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    When I was in college I worked at a veg restaurant and stopped eating meat for a couple of years. When I started again I got very sick -- it was like my stomach had completely forgotten how to digest it. In fact, that's exactly what happened. You have certain bacteria, enzymes, etc in your gut that are balanced with your typical diet. When you eliminate certain foods, over time your body stops producing those bacteria etc. When you reintroduce those foods of course your digestive system is going to rebel. Hence you get nonsense like "grain sensitivity" and people write books about how this or that macro is toxic and whole new multimillion dollar diets are created. Unless you actually have celiac disease, grains are fine. So is meat, dairy, fat, carbs, sugar, and so on...everything in moderation.
  • mjcrothers
    mjcrothers Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    When I was in college I worked at a veg restaurant and stopped eating meat for a couple of years. When I started again I got very sick -- it was like my stomach had completely forgotten how to digest it. In fact, that's exactly what happened. You have certain bacteria, enzymes, etc in your gut that are balanced with your typical diet. When you eliminate certain foods, over time your body stops producing those bacteria etc. When you reintroduce those foods of course your digestive system is going to rebel. Hence you get nonsense like "grain sensitivity" and people write books about how this or that macro is toxic and whole new multimillion dollar diets are created. Unless you actually have celiac disease, grains are fine. So is meat, dairy, fat, carbs, sugar, and so on...everything in moderation.

^^^ Yes! A Million times yes!
  • nykismile
    Options
    If it spikes the blood sugar and thus insulin production, then I tend to avoid them. I may allow a cheat once in a great while though.

Correction: I should have added, I tend to avoid them IF they aren't considered nutrient dense. For instance, I almost never eat things made of white refined flour and/or sugar. But I will have a baked potato occasionally because they have lots of good stuff in them, even though they are high on the index. I just make it a habit to eat something with them - like chicken - to counteract the spike.
    Interesting that you say you eat chicken to counter insulin spikes, I hope you are aware that protein also generate insulin responses and can be as much as carbs do.

OP, as has been the topic in the past 5'5" 112 lbs, not even sure why you feel it's necessary to lose weight.

I mentioned in the post that it's not really a question regarding to weight loss (since I reached another goal weight of 110 lbs) and more about just overall health.
  • abear007
    Options
    Interesting that you say you eat chicken to counter insulin spikes, I hope you are aware that protein also generate insulin responses and can be as much as carbs do.
    You'd have to provide evidence to support that claim. Every chart I've looked at has chicken way down on the chart. That of course refers to the chicken itself, not the sugary/floury things some people put on it, myself not being one of them.
  • abear007
    Options
    Unless you actually have celiac disease, grains are fine. So is meat, dairy, fat, carbs, sugar, and so on...everything in moderation.
    I'm a firm believer in letting each individual decide what is "fine" for them rather than others declaring what is fine for everyone else.

For some people, carbs are a trigger food that leads to being more hungry and then over eating. For some people, sugar is a trigger food that leads to unhealthy binges. For some people, lean meats are better than fat ones. For some people, no meat is even better. For some people, intermittent fasting is the way to go. For some people, 3 square meals is the way to go. For some people, calorie counting makes sense and for others, carb counting works better. For some people, drinking diet sodas is a problem, for others, it isn't. Some have a problem with dairy, others eat/drink it just fine.

The only real test for what is "fine" is whether it works overall for the person, helping them to loose weight and be healthy.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I'd say you'd be better off cutting grains and adding back in some animal products than staying vegan and keeping grains.
  • lozzyhunxx
    lozzyhunxx Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    No! Unless you have some kind of allergy, you should not cut out grains.

Carbs are essential in building a healthy body and a balanced diet; they also provide the fuel source for many vital organs including: the brain, kidney and CNS.

If you do not intake enough carbs, you could face many problems such as: nausea, dizziness, constipation, lethargy and weight problems.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with cutting back on grains but, try and eat some wholegrains and other forms of carbs to stay healthy. It is definitely more dangerous to cut out on grains, than eat in moderation. :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I have cut out all grains since I have gone Paleo and it has been really good for me! You'd be surprised how easy it is to get good carbs through vegetables and sweet potato.

Sweet potatoes aren't paleo.
  • nykismile
    Options

OP, as has been the topic in the past 5'5" 112 lbs, not even sure why you feel it's necessary to lose weight.

I mentioned in the post that it's not really a question regarding to weight loss (since I reached another goal weight of 110 lbs) and more about just overall health.
    For overall health, make sure you keep speaking with your counselor/therapist.

That I can and will do. Thank you for your help and advice that you've provided.
  • nykismile
    Options
    I'd say you'd be better off cutting grains and adding back in some animal products than staying vegan and keeping grains.

I understand your point, but I am vegan for ethical reasons rather than weight loss ones.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I have cut out all grains since I have gone Paleo and it has been really good for me! You'd be surprised how easy it is to get good carbs through vegetables and sweet potato.

Sweet potatoes aren't paleo.

Yes they are.