WWYD if your kid didn't want to go

Options

Replies

• NoMoreBlameGame
    NoMoreBlameGame Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I'm curious also, as to why a 4 year old wouldn't want to go to Chuck E Cheese's...I mean...that surprises me. Then again, 4 year olds are a lot more intelligent than people give them credit for, and they absorb information and comments like a sponge.

Any chance your 4 year old is aware you're dropping weight...do you talk about it frequently while he's around? Do you get upset about certain "lapses" in weight loss or slow weeks/months around him? How do you react around pizza when you're at home? Do you pick at it..say "I shouldn't be eating this..." etc?

I might be totally off base, but there are some really sensitive 4 yr olds out there...maybe he wants to avoid the party location for your sake rather than his own? ...I dunno =/
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I'm curious also, as to why a 4 year old wouldn't want to go to Chuck E Cheese's...I mean...that surprises me. Then again, 4 year olds are a lot more intelligent than people give them credit for, and they absorb information and comments like a sponge.

Any chance your 4 year old is aware you're dropping weight...do you talk about it frequently while he's around? Do you get upset about certain "lapses" in weight loss or slow weeks/months around him? How do you react around pizza when you're at home? Do you pick at it..say "I shouldn't be eating this..." etc?

I might be totally off base, but there are some really sensitive 4 yr olds out there...maybe he wants to avoid the party location for your sake rather than his own? ...I dunno =/

lol...no offense, but I think this is the hugest stretch of the imagination I have seen on MFP forums...just sayin'
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    You don't know why he doesn't want to go? Really?

this.

if he's old enough to articulate that he doesnt want to go, then he's old enough to articulate why he doesnt want to go. .

sorry but just putting it down to my 4 year old doesnt want to go, i dont know why so we're not going to go really makes me question who's the adult in this situation.
  • Drama_Free_Zone
    Options
    YAY for making your 4 year old do things he doesn't want to do/feels uncomfortable doing....

It's called parenting. If your mom let you make all of your own decisions at 4 years old you probably wouldn't be alive today.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :drinker: Probably wouldn't be literate enough to type that either.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    well if he doesn't want to go , then say he is sick and move on. Life is too short for doing stuff you don't like or your kids don't like. That's what I would do
  • NoMoreBlameGame
    NoMoreBlameGame Posts: 236 Member
    Options

lol...no offense, but I think this is the hugest stretch of the imagination I have seen on MFP forums...just sayin'

Yay! I get to blacklist someone very early on in my MFP journey.

In any case...don't say "no offense" and then say something very offensive, it just makes you look condescending.

I *have* had very similar experiences with a child, actually...she was 5 at the time, so no, it's not a stretch. I stopped talking about my diet around her, and that Dairy Queen trip was very much wanted on her part the next time around.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    What is "very offensive" has changed a lot in the recent past, apparently.

Too funny!
  • thaatgurl
    thaatgurl Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    With my kids, I always ask them to try it out. We go to whatever it is they are nervous about, and if they still aren't into it after a bit, we leave or hang back to ourselves and watch the other kids. Usually they decide to join but occasionally we end up going home early. It's the same thing with not liking veggies or trying a new food for the first time. How do they really know they don't like it unless they try it?
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    You can tell him you need to go to drop off the gift and say happy birthday. If he wants to stay, great.

Agree totally. Plus you need to teach kids that they can't just back out of commitments because you don't feel like doing it anymore..

^^^ This! I have done this with my kids. The fact that you RSVP'd deserves this.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

Yay! I get to blacklist someone very early on in my MFP journey.

In any case...don't say "no offense" and then say something very offensive, it just makes you look condescending.

I *have* had very similar experiences with my niece, actually...she was 5 at the time, so no, it's not a stretch. I stopped talking about my diet around her, and that Dairy Queen trip was very much wanted on her part the next time around.
    Are you old?
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I'd jump at the chance not to go. And if the birthday girl's mom complained, I'd say my kid didn't want to. No other explanation needed.
  • Return_of_the_Big_Mac
    Options
    My parents approach was always to teach us to keep our commitments. If we said we'd be somewhere, we'd be there. You tell him that once you are there, he can leave after the cake has been cut.

After you're back, you can discuss why he didn't want to go.

I am glad my parents didn't indulge my whims as a child. It showed who was in charge and built the necessary authority to pass on life lessons.
  • Return_of_the_Big_Mac
    Options

I'd switch that from "might be offbase" to "IDK... aliens"
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    well if he doesn't want to go , then say he is sick and move on. Life is too short for doing stuff you don't like or your kids don't like. That's what I would do
    [/quote

NO, don't lie and say he's sick! Teaching your kid to lie... that will bite you in the *kitten* later, big time. This is a little kid's party, no "committment", just don't go if you and your kid don't want to.]
  • morethenjustmum
    morethenjustmum Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    You can tell him you need to go to drop off the gift and say happy birthday. If he wants to stay, great. But if he kicks up a fuss then you have a good reason to leave. Birthdays tend to be a couple hours long and you can always go home early if need be.

this is a great idea. He may not want to go because he doesn't know what to expect and is feeling a little anxious.
    once he sees how " cool" a place it is he can make a more informed decision.
  • _SantaClause
    _SantaClause Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    YAY for making your 4 year old do things he doesn't want to do/feels uncomfortable doing....

It's called parenting. If your mom let you make all of your own decisions at 4 years old you probably wouldn't be alive today.

Well, I'm questioning your parenting. There is a reason he doesn't want to go.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    If I tell someone I will be there, I go even if I don't feel like it when the time comes. I may not stay as long as I would have if I felt like going, but I would at least show up.

^This
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I would never make a four-year-old child attend a party he/she didn't want to attend. And the ability to articulate why he doesn't want to go could be very difficult. In general, a child's party should only have the number of attendees equal to the child's age. As an introvert, I would have done anything I could to have avoided a Chucky Cheese party.

This is entirely different from requiring a child to attend a family event, which can be explained in terms of familial responsibility. I don't imagine anyone gives a hoot whether he goes to some party where the entire class was probably invited.

In this case, I would respect your child's wishes and call with my regrets. No explanation necessary. "We aren't going to be able to make it today" is all that has to be said.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Take them out for ice cream as a reward for saving me from an annoying social situation that I wouldn't otherwise want to be in.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    You go and you take care of yourself. Coffee, daydreaming, detaching, smiling and nodding etc. I'm going to be involved in special Olympics bowling every Friday night which is similar and I have to be somewhat alert the whole time. I just think, I'm doing this for my sister, I'll drink as much diet coke as I want, and smile and nod.