Question for those using dating sites....

Options
porcelain_doll
porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
If someone sends you a message and you are not interested in them, do you feel obligated to respond with anything? Or do you simply ignore them? I'm curious how others handle this "scenario."

Replies

• brooke0206
    brooke0206 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I dont use dating sites anymore BUT I did meet my Fiance on one! I was living in MI, he was in SC.... Things worked.... This was about 4 years ago.... Anyway, If I got messages from ppl I wasnt interested in I usually just ignored them. Hope that helps!
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Ignore or if there is a button "not interested" I would and have used it. :blushing:
  • MartiWillett
    MartiWillett Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    If you aren't interested there is no point in making them think that you are by responding :)
  • emflah
    emflah Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As a guy who sent many of those messages before meeting the lady of my dreams on the site, I always appreciated getting a "thanks but no thanks" message in return. When you don't get any response you have the false hope that "maybe" she just hasn't seen the message yet. A "no thank you" response lets the guy know to move on.
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I respond just because there is another person on the other end and because I appreciate responses from others (although I don't feel you are obligated to respond). Usually I thank them for the message and then find a reason why I feel we wouldn't be a good match -- like distance or if there's something in their profile indicating we are looking for different things -- then I end by writing something like "good luck with your search."

So yes, I do usually respond.
  • wittlemunchkin
    Options
    I reply to be nice...but then if they are weird and I'm still not interested, I ignore them. The conversation tends to die down after a while anyways.
    I only use okcupid, but not for dating. Just browsing :)
  • reesepieces
    reesepieces Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    As a guy who sent many of those messages before meeting the lady of my dreams on the site, I always appreciated getting a "thanks but no thanks" message in return. When you don't get any response you have the false hope that "maybe" she just hasn't seen the message yet. A "no thank you" response lets the guy know to move on.

That would be something that I would do. At least nicely let them know that you are not interested.
  • HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    "Thanks for your interest, but I don't think we're a good match. Good luck on your future dating endeavors." Then block them.
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    I would prefer a 'thanks but no thanks' reply. At least until they have a "dislike" thumbs-down button! Like someone else said, if they turn creepy then ignore and/or block them
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    What's happened to dating in RT? :smokin:
  • Reese2008
    Options
    I tried match earlier this year. At first I replied to everyone cuz I am just nice like that but learned quickly that if you are not interested at all, don't reply. trust me on this one :)
  • dominic272
    Options
    Never used one but in my opinion...just being up front is a good policy I think. Not sure ignoring would make it go away. Just my 2 cents.
  • porcelain_doll
    Options
    I've never had someone respond to me saying they weren't interested. They usually just ignore me. Not complaining; I've done it to others, as well.
  • dominic272
    Options
    I understand that but I think for me I would just want to be polite about it. Again that is just me. I just would like to know.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    This wasn't meant to come across as snarky, I apologize if it sounded that way:flowerforyou: I was just really curious is all..:flowerforyou:
  • porcelain_doll
    Options
    I'll bet that was a nice feeling to finally have your efforts prove to be fruitful!!
  • porcelain_doll
    Options
    This wasn't mean to come across as snarky, I apologize if it sounded that way:flowerforyou: I was just really curious is all..:flowerforyou:
    Not at all. I am "old-fashioned" myself. The online dating is just another avenue I am "perusing" (again), I guess. :smile:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    This wasn't mean to come across as snarky, I apologize if it sounded that way:flowerforyou: I was just really curious is all..:flowerforyou:
    Not at all. I am "old-fashioned" myself. The online dating is just another avenue I am "perusing" (again), I guess. :smile:
    Got it:happy:
  • porcelain_doll
    Options
    I understand that but I think for me I would just want to be polite about it. Again that is just me. I just would like to know.
    Yes, I can see it both ways. I don't like to come across as rude to people, either. I guess that's one of the reason I asked. I wanted to see which way the majority was leaning on this.
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    I used to ignore.

Charmagne