Opinions please - going under calorie goal

Options
Hi, just need some advice. I am eating around 800 - 1000 calories daily, and feel as though I'm getting enough nutrition, but I am scared of losing weight to gain it back later...I have previously lost 20kg in 2 months and gained it back and more. I am now at my heaviest weight (93.7kg) after losing 3.3kg so far this week. Has anyone got any tips for keeping the weight off once you lose it? My theory is to lose another 10-15kg fairly rapidly before slowing down loss to 1kg a week to let my body adjust. In the long term I plan to watch portion sizes, minimise carbs and indulge in vegetables with moderate fruit and protein.
The last time I got to my goal weight of 62 kg I celebrated by eating anything and everything in sight. Am I destined to fail?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    People who lose weight rapidly are more likely to gain it back. Losing 7 pounds a week is considered rapidly and more than likely isn't going to be sustainable long term. That being said, If you have 60 pounds to lose, 800 calories a day is ridiculous for someone your size (something else not sustainable). None of this is necessary for weight loss and if at the end you're just planning on celebrating by "eating everything in sight", YEP you are probably destined to fail.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Well, if you start eating anything and everything in sight, yes you will fail.

Long term maintenance is about calories in, calories out, just like weight loss. You are going to have to learn to eat at a reasonable and moderate level at some point. Eating at an extremely low calorie level during weight loss can make that transition more difficult because it is easy to get into the "thin means little food" mindset. So keep in mind that at some point you'll need to change tacts.
  • tamsyn1989
    tamsyn1989 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your insight, the point I was trying to make was that I don't plan to do that again, I'm able to see where I went wrong...:tongue: and have no plans to relive those mistakes in future! Going from a skinny 60kg to MOby **** in a year really wasn't my overall plan haha. Congrats on both of your weight loss to date, you have done so well. Any tips are welcomed :) I just wanted to know whether it is safer to lose more than .5-1kg per week safely, as I have a lot to lose...
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    That's the thing...with crash diets you most likely aren't getting the nutrients you need, and you don't learn how to lead a healthy lifestyle which is what leads people to gaining it all back, and then some.I have as much weight left to lose as you and I'm doing it on twice as many calories a day.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    People who lose weight rapidly are more likely to gain it back. Losing 7 pounds a week is considered rapidly and more than likely isn't going to be sustainable long term. That being said, If you have 60 pounds to lose, 800 calories a day is ridiculous for someone your size (something else not sustainable). None of this is necessary for weight loss and if at the end you're just planning on celebrating by "eating everything in sight", YEP you are probably destined to fail.

This is not actually true. Look at Myth #3 in this report by the Los Angeles Times.

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jan/30/news/la-heb-weight-loss-myths-20130130

(Myth #3) Slow, gradual weight loss is easier to sustain than large, rapid weight loss: In fact, clinical trials have found that people who jump-start their diets by dropping a lot of weight in the beginning (by consuming only 800 to 1,200 calories per day, for instance) had the best results in long-term studies.

The report is covering an article that examined a large body of existing research and published in the New England Journal of Medicine. In other words, it's solid science.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i can 99% guarantee that you are NOT getting all the nutrition you need on 800-1000 cals.

plus your 'plan' probably means you'll look squishy and flabby once you lose the weight anyway.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    if you lose weight fast, you lose muscle - since muscle is what burns calories when resting, that means that after a fast weight loss your body burns less calories than it did before, making it so very easy to gain weight gain. also, regardless of what you believe, you're probably not getting all the nutrition you need - i'd guess you believe that because chances are you don't know what nutrients you need.

btw, no one plans to gain the weight back, but if you don't take the time while losing weight to learn healthier eating habits, chances are good you will gain it back. after all, losing weight is temporary, but it took a lifetime of poor eating habits to get you to the weight you reached.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    This is not actually true. Look at Myth #3 in this report by the Los Angeles Times.

(Myth #3) Slow, gradual weight loss is easier to sustain than large, rapid weight loss: In fact, clinical trials have found that people who jump-start their diets by dropping a lot of weight in the beginning (by consuming only 800 to 1,200 calories per day, for instance) had the best results in long-term studies.

The report is covering an article that examined a large body of existing research and published in the New England Journal of Medicine. In other words, it's solid science.
    So YOU'RE under the opinion, that someone NOT learning healthy eating habits (because really how did they if they crash dieted to where they are), is capable of sustaining weight loss long term?
  • mahanaibu
    Options
    I'm not giving an opinion. I'm giving you science. A person who eats very carefully can actually get all the required nutrition in about 1,000 calories a day, but it requires the knowledge to make the nutrition work. I'm not advocating it as a way of dieting; I'm saying that this myth about people losing weight fast then gaining it faster is, according to the research, a myth. Read the New England Journal of Medicine article and argue with the research experts if you want. Science is science.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    I'm not giving an opinion. I'm giving you science. A person who eats very carefully can actually get all the required nutrition in about 1,000 calories a day, but it requires the knowledge to make the nutrition work. I'm not advocating it as a way of dieting; I'm saying that this myth about people losing weight fast then gaining it faster is, according to the research, a myth. Read the New England Journal of Medicine article and argue with the research experts if you want. Science is science.
    I just did, AND I read the footnotes which tells you that they consider long term to be18 months. So yes I guess its great for 18 months you get to sustain your weight loss then you're more than likely going to gain it all back because you didn't learn healthy eating habits!
  • mahanaibu
    Options
    Yes, and research also shows that people who maintain for 18 months have a much better chance of keeping it off...most people who fall off the wagon do it before 18 months. That's why most research considers 18 months to be a long term. Geez, you really want to stick to your shibboleths, don't you? I'm not really interested in getting into forum fights. I was injecting some solid research into the old sayings that get recycled here by people who don't actually have any science to back themselves up.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

It's worth noting that one of the two referenced studies used to justify fast rate of weight loss considered "fast" to be approximately 1.5lbs/week. For an overweight or obese person (obese people were used in this particular study) this really is closer to "moderate" by most standards, in my opinion.

The meta that they reference involves following the initial fast weight loss with an intervention program.

(http://www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NEJMsa1208051)
    (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20443094)

Now that's not to say that I disagree with the notion that initial fast weight loss may have benefits in some people when it comes to long term results, but I think the above points are worth mentioning.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I am now at my heaviest weight (93.7kg) after losing 3.3kg so far this week.
    I'm confused by this statement.
  • Fit_Housewife
    Fit_Housewife Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    This

So sick of the this is my opinion, I have no research to back it up, let me cram it down everyone's throat, some people have on this forum. People are different and shouldn't be attacked for the path they choose to lose weight whether you and your infinite knowledge agree.
    Yes, and research also shows that people who maintain for 18 months have a much better chance of keeping it off...most people who fall off the wagon do it before 18 months. That's why most research considers 18 months to be a long term. Geez, you really want to stick to your shibboleths, don't you? I'm not really interested in getting into forum fights. I was injecting some solid research into the old sayings that get recycled here by people who don't actually have any science to back themselves up.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    Wasn't my intention either BUT in this particular case, the OP asked if she was destined to fail. IMO she is not eating enough to get her nutrients and she self admitted she has a history of losing and gaining back. Learning healthy eating habits would be more beneficial to her long term to maintain her weight loss.
  • pbekkerh
    pbekkerh Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    >after losing 3.3kg so far this week

That must be mostly water.
    If your MBR(minimum calories to keep you alive) is around 1600 calories and you eat 800, then your body has to deliver the missing 800 calories a day. That makes 5600 calories pr week which corresponds to 0.8 kg of fat !!

Even when eating nothing, you'll only burn 2.5 kg fat a week.

You don't just want to loose weight but to keep your weight afterwards, you need to change your eating habits and there is no "crash" way to do that, it will take a long period to do so.

I am just eating mostly things I used to but in smaller portions. But I have substituted most of my rice and potato intake because my calorie budget "punishes" me too much when eating high calorie food.
    To stay on my daily goal I then have to do more exercise or eat less the rest of the day so I eat a lot more vegetables etc. instead.
  • Mohana94
    Options

So YOU'RE under the opinion, that someone NOT learning healthy eating habits (because really how did they if they crash dieted to where they are), is capable of sustaining weight loss long term?

A person who loses weight extremely quickly and through whatever crash dieting can still maintain the weight they lost. Weight loss is about calorie deficit after all right? It's more about what they do after that. They have to apply healthy eating habits and not overeat after. They have to eat within their maintenance calories and not go back to whatever diet they were having originally.

Having said that, I think eating 800-1000 calories alone and trying to lose weight on that is extremely unhealthy, and can lead to hair loss and muscle mass loss instead of fat loss. It's best to do it the slow and steady way.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Honestly whatever you do to get the weight off is probably better than keeping the weight on. The forums are full of people that really want to help but even the "experts" wildly disagree about the healthiest ways to lose weight.

I eat about 2000 calories a day and ride my bike for around four and a half hours every afternoon which means I "net" just a few hundred calories on average. According to most of the MFP "experts" I should have died long ago instead of just dropping a bunch of weight and getting much healthier, faster and stronger.

If you are ever in doubt just go chat with a doctor and see what they have to say.