Sneaky Protein Ideas

Options
So I know there are a ridiculous number of posts on here regarding protein ideas that go beyond chicken and eggs.

Thing is, I like my food! I like eating 4 oz of chicken with a little hummus in my pita bread. I don't want to start adding protein powder or doubling up on chicken to increase my protein because I know that's not sustainable long term for me. It could be for someone else, just not me.

What I'm looking for are ideas on how to sneak in protein. For example:
Finding a pasta brand that has 10g of protein per serving
Use cous cous instead of rice in paella to up the protein factor (and deliciousness)!
Adding nuts, chia seeds and granola to yogurt.

I'm hoping by making small changes I'm more apt to embrace the shift in my eating habits. What substitutions, food brands, or other ways have you found to sneak in protein?

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, more cheese in general, peanut butter, red meats and fish, edamame (11g protein for 100g!!!) and other beans/legumes... I think that's about it for things I would eat. But I also do use protein powder, and honestly I think it's something worth considering if you have a hard time getting in protein from food alone. If you make smoothies regularly or even just from time to time, add a scoop. Or I like to make baked goods with protein powder (usually just Google for recipes) - most of the time you can't even tell the difference unless the recipe just came out bad.

ETA: cottage cheese on fish is awesome. OH and greek yogurt in a fajita?! Yum.
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Thank you!

I like to eat all of those already, so good shape there.

Except using greek yogurt as a sour cream substitute. ..because I don't like sour cream on my fajitas. Just avocados, grilled peppers, onions, lime and yumminess.

Or smoothies and protein powder. Maybe I'll get there one day.
  • mrsmitchell0510
    mrsmitchell0510 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You sound like you've already got a handle on it! Some great foods you've listed.
    Barilla Plus is my favorite pasta that has protein in it!
    I also make my own protein bars with protein powder, peanut butter, flax seed, and a little bit of water being the base. Then add in whatever I'm feeling to change up the taste. Right now my favorite add-ins are chocolate chunks and raisins.
  • tr3kkie9rl
    tr3kkie9rl Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I make egg custard using truvia instead of sugar and flavor it with various things like lemon, pie spices, or chocolate. It's like eating a "dessert" that is protein packed!
  • calton1
    calton1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    There are lots of cereals out there now with added protein. Special K and kashi, both very good.
  • Joannah700
    Options
    You sound like you've already got a handle on it! Some great foods you've listed.
    Barilla Plus is my favorite pasta that has protein in it!
    I also make my own protein bars with protein powder, peanut butter, flax seed, and a little bit of water being the base. Then add in whatever I'm feeling to change up the taste. Right now my favorite add-ins are chocolate chunks and raisins.

I like Barilla Plus! It has 10g per 2 oz.

I will definitely have to play around with the egg custard Idea. Maybe I can make an almond meal or hazelnut meal crust for mini pies...it's a thought! I bet it would freeze well too.

So here it is, typically I get about 20-25g of protein per meal, plus an afternoon snack for a total of 80g per day. Its ok, but not stellar when I want to be closer to 110g. I don't need to add more food because...I'm full. Hence the sneaky protein ideas.

Thank you everyone, I appreciate the ideas and look forward to seeing more.

That was a hint, just in case you missed it.
  • RunningMom42
    RunningMom42 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    How about quinoa? It can be used as a substitute for either rice or oatmeal, savory or sweet. I have found a lot of recipes on pinterest but I typically just use it instead of rice. I've made a spanish-style quinoa with tomato paste, onions and bell pepper as a side dish. My favorite is my "power bowl" which is quinoa cooked with low sodium broth, assorted sauteed veggies and whatever meat I have leftover. I've made Asian style with stirfry veggies and chicken or shrimp, tex-mex with grilled chicken, peppers and black beans, turkey sausage with zucchini and tomatoes. Just watch your portions, I could eat tons of it.
  • sakelthomas
    Options
    I use unflavored protein powder and mix it into everything (served slightly warmer than room temp or colder). I add a few scoops to my homemade salad dressings and never even notice it is there. I just put it in the bottle. That adds a few grams each time I have salad. I also use plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream. Delish on potatoes and in cheese enchiladas. I love to toss beans in whenever I can. Add a some garbanzos to a salad, or black beans to cheese enchiladas. It all adds up.

Dana's nonfat/sugarfree cheesecake
    1 bar Philadelphia nonfat cream cheese
    1/2 cup eggbeaters (I used Kirkland Signature egg starts)
    1/3 cup splenda granulated
    Dash of lemon extract
    Tsp of vanilla extract
    Dash of salt

Cream cc until smooth. Add eggs, splenda and flavoring. Add dash of salt. Pour into PAM sprayed muffin tins (or use muffin liners). Put muffin tray in a large casserole dish. Add water (for even baking) to casserole dish about 1/2 way up the muffin tin. Bake at 300F for 40 min or until tops spring back. Refrigerate for at least an hour.

Makes 4
    75 calories
    0 fat
    6 carbs (all dairy has a little natural sugar)
    11 gm protein
  • Joannah700
    Options
    Love quinoa!

Thanks for the suggestion!

And Thomas, I will definitely think about adding protein powder to dressings and such. (Though I rarely do salads).

But cheesecake? We won't discuss cheesecakes. I only like cheesecake as a friend and enjoy it about 3x a year when I make s'more, godiva, sour cream, or pumpkin cheesecake bites. Some things are special and should NOT be messed with.

That being said, I bet you can add more nuts or some nut-based flour to the Graham cracker crumbs for an extra protein kick. Protein powder? ....maybe.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Love quinoa!

And Thomas, I will definitely think about adding protein powder to dressings and such. (Though I rarely do salads).

But cheesecake? We won't discuss cheesecakes. I only like cheesecake as a friend and enjoy it about 3x a year when I make s'more, godiva, sour cream, or pumpkin cheesecake bites. Some things are special and should NOT be messed with.

That being said, I bet you can add more nuts or some nut-based flour to the Graham cracker crumbs for an extra protein kick. Protein powder? ....maybe.

You can make the crust using finely-ground nuts instead of cookie crumbs. Chop them to the same texture as cookie crumbs in a food processor. I particularly like almond or walnut pie crust/cheesecake crust and personally like them much better than graham cracker crusts.
  • Joannah700
    Options
    Love quinoa!

You can make the crust using finely-ground nuts instead of cookie crumbs. Chop them to the same texture as cookie crumbs in a food processor. I particularly like almond or walnut pie crust/cheesecake crust and personally like them much better than graham cracker crusts.

Brilliant!

Will try this out on Thanksgiving.

Appreciate the sage advice everyone.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    tagged for later!
  • AnnaVee84
    AnnaVee84 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I make protein oatmeal for breakfast (oatmeal + almond milk + protein powder + goody toppings) and just discovered that adding an egg white or two adds good protein and gives it a great creamy texture, but doesn't change the taste!! So that's really the only "sneaky" protein tip I have, everything else is just straight up protein source haha!

If you don't want powder, could just top with PB!

But the protein powder I'm currently using is cellucor's cinnamon swirl and it's so divine - like eating dessert for breakfast!!! so yum! So it doesn't have to be a lame protein flavor....and topped with bananas, strawberries, coconut flakes, and other goodies :love: and the powder is good for making desserts, bars, etc...and i have that protein cheesecake sitting in my fridge, yummmmmy!!! It's just a sneaky way to help me get to my goal of 100+ without just eating meatmeatmeat every meal
  • ZBuffBod
    ZBuffBod Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • divediva2
    divediva2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal so I add protein powder to it. I use a vanilla flavoured one, I have also made one using egg whites while cooking the oatmeal on the stove and also pecans or almonds are a great addition.

I have also added chocolate protein powder to my coffee, mochachino anyone!
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I keep a stash of different types of nuts in the freezer and scatter them over salads, cereals, pasta etc. I've always made my own bread, but I've changed the recipe to add more protein (milk powder, nut/seed/grain mixture).

I've switched out whole grains (barley, quinoa, rye berries, wheat berries, oat groats etc) for rice. I have a rice cooker which makes this easy. I also cook up batches of beans and lentils (also in the rice cooker) and keep them in the fridge for adding to salads, soups, pretty much everything. They make great soup thickeners.

One of my secret protein additions is marinated white anchovies, which cost a fortune, but are loaded with protein and very chi-chi. And I have fish several more times a week than I used to.

I used to struggle getting enough protein, but with practice I've found it quite easy.
  • Joannah700
    Options
    I love oatmeal so I add protein powder to it. I use a vanilla flavoured one, I have also made one using egg whites while cooking the oatmeal on the stove and also pecans or almonds are a great addition.

I have also added chocolate protein powder to my coffee, mochachino anyone!

I would so do this if I drank coffee!

Great ideas!
  • Joannah700
    Options
    I keep a stash of different types of nuts in the freezer and scatter them over salads, cereals, pasta etc. I've always made my own bread, but I've changed the recipe to add more protein (milk powder, nut/seed/grain mixture).

I've switched out whole grains (barley, quinoa, rye berries, wheat berries, oat groats etc) for rice. I have a rice cooker which makes this easy. I also cook up batches of beans and lentils (also in the rice cooker) and keep them in the fridge for adding to salads, soups, pretty much everything. They make great soup thickeners.

One of my secret protein additions is marinated white anchovies, which cost a fortune, but are loaded with protein and very chi-chi. And I have fish several more times a week than I used to.

I used to struggle getting enough protein, but with practice I've found it quite easy.

Marinated white anchovies? I haven't had these before!

Do you have a favorite brand/store to get them?

Would it be good to add to cous cous, veggies and chicken for a makeshift paella?
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Maple Groves makes a pancake mix without any sugar at all. And the protein for 40g of powder is 18gram. Add Fage 0% greek yogurt (about 3 oz) gives a "buttermilk" tang, add a scoop of Cinnabon Protein Powder (or whatever one you like), and it kicks the protein up to 50grams. Add more cinnamon if you like. And mix it up with water. If you like a fluffier pancake, add some cream of tarter. (Doesn't change the taste, just makes pancakes poofier)

I happen to really like protein pancakes using Maple Groves. Course, you can use a homemade recipe, but for me getting it pre-made is good enough.

If the volume of pancakes is too much, then save one of them for lunch. Add a thin layer of peanut butter and roll it up, eating like a hot dog. Its actually good.

(eta: 286 calories for 50 gram protein a serving is a good bang for my buck)
  • NoMoreBlameGame
    NoMoreBlameGame Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    soy beans :) they're high calorie though =/