Anyone else fear running outdoors?

Options
I really want to start jogging, but self conscious kills it the moment I consider it. I've been doing calorie programs on my elliptical and have been keeping up with the rpm at each intensity level but I really think jogging outdoors in the mornings would be fun.

If you ever felt this way, how did you overcome it? I would be going around neighborhoods and I think the part that hangs me up is knowing I'm going to suck at it, and people seeing me sucking air and nearly dying on their sidewalk.

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I haven't been running for that long, a month or just over if that. I thought people would look at me and think "pfft look at that loser lol".

They don't even look, they're too busy doing their own things... why would they want to judge other people bettering themselves?

GO JOG :D
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I recommend you try to get over it.

Very few people will judge you. Most of the people who will see you are not runners. Your neighbors will mostly either not care or admire your efforts as they sit on their couch or front porch.
  • erynne85
    Options
    I used to have the same thoughts then I just went out one or two mornings and quickly realised that most people are much too busy going about their own lives to even look twice at this short, sweaty girl puffing down the street!
    And even if they do pay attention then you can feel (even just a little bit) superior that you are out doing something to better your health and they are busy throwing shade from their porches!

Go Run! NOW!
    :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Agoraphobic?
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    1. You don't know these people, who CARES what they think?
    2. Do what you want for you, not others. This of how you will feel when you get home and have accomplished running a mile for the first time.
    3. Do you think that when you see people running... poorly? Hopefully not. And most likely no one else is either. If anything, I see people running and think, "Damn. Good for them. Wish I could get off my butt and run too."

You can do it. Screw what other people think.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I'm a runner and I sometimes feel the same way as I'm not in optimal shape at the moment. But I have to say, when I'm out and I see someone running, who's either obviously new at it, overweight, struggling to run, etc., the only thing I think is "wow I really admire that person going out of their comfort zone to get healthy ". I respect them immensely.
  • creamvespa
    Options
    i feel self-conscious running outdoors as well, especially in Los Angeles, where nobody walks anywhere even a block...sadly this is true. Plus, running outdoors in a city like LA is asking to be run over by reckless drivers. Solution: get a treadmill. you can even run naked if you want.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I run outdoors almost daily. I'm really really slow, my dog can walk in front of me slow. But I'm working on my heart rate and building distance, not speed. If people pay attention they are looking at my dog, not me. If they are paying attention to me I don't really care much because they usually are in a car and almost have run me over because they didn't see me until they almost hit me, lol, but true. Still, distracted drivers don't keep me from running outside instead of on the dreadmill.

Look into a program like C25K (free) or Run, Zombies! (not free), then you will be paying attention to the program and not what others are thinking anyway.

And whenever I see someone running who appears to be struggling a little I always give them a silent cheer just for being out there and off the couch.
  • nolabone
    nolabone Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I sometimes get very anxious when I am outside by myself, even if I know no one is going to hurt me, and despite the fact that I don't care about their opinions if anyone even were to judge me (but I highly doubt anyone cares). However, I can't help this, and even little things like getting the mail make my heart race if I hear a car about to drive by. The biggest help with this I have found was taking my dog with me. It's almost like an excuse to go outside and be active, and he loves it. I doubt I would go running on hiking trails by myself, but feel confident when I do so with my dog. It's not so much a self conscious thing with me as unnecessary anxiety, but my dogs wagging tail of approval is all I need to feel at ease.

Long story short: Get a dog and go running with him/her. :happy:
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options
    i feel self-conscious running outdoors as well, especially in Los Angeles, where nobody walks anywhere even a block...sadly this is true. Plus, running outdoors in a city like LA is asking to be run over by reckless drivers. Solution: get a treadmill. you can even run naked if you want.
    :huh: There are a bunch of a trails and great weather, why would you NOT run outside. Plenty of people do.

Running on a treadmill feels a lot like this:

hampster.gif
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I'd be a little less self conscious if I didn't start huffing and puffing within like 60 seconds of walking away from my house. I get winded so easy, but I don't slow myself down because doing something rational like that would just be crazy. I usually have earbuds in too, so I don't know if I'm really audible with my breathing or not, but it sure seems that way. When I get near anyone else I try and alter my breathing until I've passed them and then the near hyperventilation continues. :embarassed:

I'm not even sure what I do counts as much more than speed walking either. :laugh:
  • creamvespa
    Options
    :huh: There are a bunch of a trails and great weather, why would you NOT run outside. Plenty of people do.

hampster.gif

i rather be a running hamster than a roadkill
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

hampster.gif

i rather be a running hamster than a roadkill

:laugh: + (effing) 1!
  • ShortMrsN
    ShortMrsN Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I only run outside!
    At first I was a bit self conscience but I put my sunglasses on (can't run without them!) pop in my earphones and off I go!
    I run after I have dropped the kids at school, so plenty of people I know see me......I have had so many positive comments!
    It doesn't matter what other people might think of you.....only what you think!
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I only run outdoors and when I started I was very self conscious. It's all well and good other people telling you "it's fine", "no one is judging you", "you shouldnt let it concern you"; you feel how you feel and that's hard to *think* your way past.

I only ran after dark until I became comfortable in my progress. It didn't take long for that to happen and I will be running my first marathon next month.

Find a way that works for you!
  • TRD66
    TRD66 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    You'll be concentrating on yourself, where your going, things to look at etc, you'll probably find very quickly that you forget about others. Music will also help you 'lose yourself'.

I find it better to run outdoors than inside (where i get bored, quickly). There are all kinds of people in the world and some may react as you suggest, but the majority either won't have an opinion or will think good thoughts and smile at you for your efforts. And, at the end of the day, you are not doing it for them, are you?

best of luck
  • I used to have the same thoughts then I just went out one or two mornings and quickly realised that most people are much too busy going about their own lives to even look twice at this short, sweaty girl puffing down the street!
    And even if they do pay attention then you can feel (even just a little bit) superior that you are out doing something to better your health and they are busy throwing shade from their porches!

Go Run! NOW!
    :)

couldnt have said it better ^^^^^ also i took my dog for company and got him into running aswell
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I started running in fields by my house, literally round the outside of a corn field because I was so self concious about what I was doing. But as I come to really enjoy what I was doing, I bought some actual running gear and decided I was going to try roads for a change. I'm still more Elephant than Gazelle but I love running, and I love running outside. You know haters gon' hate, but headphones help and so does knowing you are literally changing yourself with every step, I live in a very small town and I'm forever getting cheered on by little old people. I have had a few negative comments (it could be more, but headphones) but some choice swearwords go a long way.
    Really if you want to do it, do it. Your body is capable of brilliant things, eff everybody else.
  • gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I've just started running (well jogging to be honest!) and I felt like that the first time I did it. However, like a lot of people on here it soon became apparent to me that most people dont notice you, they are too busy with there own thing. Plus every so often a fellow runner / jogger will be going the other way and give you a "hi" or a quick nod because they know the effort involved.

In the end you can do what you feel comfortable with, and thats fine, but i'd say you always feel better when you push yourself a little over your "comfort zone" and you accomplish something new.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I was running on a treadmill, even did 2 5k's in 2 weeks at the gym. It was enjoyable, and I did not feel that much pain from doing it.

The other day, I tried running outside with my dog. All I could feel was hard pounding through out my entire body, and tension in my head. Now I have shinsplints.

I will stick to the treadmill. Running is not that important to me.