Anyone else fear running outdoors?

Options

Replies

• Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Options
    I used to, but I bring pepper spray with me, sometimes I will run/bike outdoors/jump rope, and I think the scenery is nice. I'd love to get into inline skating, that with the swimming, zumba, martial arts, machines and dvds I like to do.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    safety is the biggest concern for me. I looked up the route I wanted to take and found lots of news stories about women runners being attacked, stoned and shot at by street kids and sexually assaulted. Decided the treadmill was a lot more appealing.

In this situation, if you'd like to run outside, best to drive to another place to run. Usually you can find a safer place in a relatively short distance. Or, just keep running inside. Nothing wrong with that.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    The first time I ever went for a run, I waited until it was dark out, put on dark clothes, carried a flashlight, and ran down our driveway. No one could see me. I didn't want them to see my fat jiggling everywhere and how hard I was breathing and how far I couldn't run. I only made it 300 feet, and then had to turn and walk back to our house, crying. The next night, I went out and did it again. For a couple weeks I would only run at night on our private lane. And then, I started getting a little bit better at it, and I stopped caring so much.

Now, I run half marathons with thousands of other people. I'm still overweight. I could not even begin to care. I'll pull on running tights just like the thin runners do. I don't care if my butt jiggles still. I don't care that my sports bra gives me a little armpit boob. I run. And I realized how little I notice what other runners look like. I think it's AWESOME when I see someone who is clearly just starting out. It reminds me of how far I've come, and I wish them all the good in the world as they try every day to make it a little further, a little faster.
    You made me chuckle :) I wrote about the jiggling butt here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/AglaeaC/view/even-aeryn-sun-s-butt-jiggles-c25k-reflections-656475

Everyone's butt jiggles.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    The first time I ever went for a run, I waited until it was dark out, put on dark clothes, carried a flashlight, and ran down our driveway. No one could see me. I didn't want them to see my fat jiggling everywhere and how hard I was breathing and how far I couldn't run. I only made it 300 feet, and then had to turn and walk back to our house, crying. The next night, I went out and did it again. For a couple weeks I would only run at night on our private lane. And then, I started getting a little bit better at it, and I stopped caring so much.

Now, I run half marathons with thousands of other people. I'm still overweight. I could not even begin to care. I'll pull on running tights just like the thin runners do. I don't care if my butt jiggles still. I don't care that my sports bra gives me a little armpit boob. I run. And I realized how little I notice what other runners look like. I think it's AWESOME when I see someone who is clearly just starting out. It reminds me of how far I've come, and I wish them all the good in the world as they try every day to make it a little further, a little faster.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/AglaeaC/view/even-aeryn-sun-s-butt-jiggles-c25k-reflections-656475

Everyone's butt jiggles.

I'm hyper aware of it when I'm on a treadmill. It's not so bad when I know that I'll just have to pass by a person, but to be nailed to one spot when I run? Yikes!
  • AglaeaC
    Options

Everyone's butt jiggles.

I'm hyper aware of it when I'm on a treadmill. It's not so bad when I know that I'll just have to pass by a person, but to be nailed to one spot when I run? Yikes!
    Black clothes help, though. There's a funny someecard on Pinterest saying something about black exercise clothes being like going to the funeral of one's fat. It makes me laugh out loud each time I see it.

Humour helps keep the cringes and self-repulsion at bay, and soon enough the fat layers become slightly more matter-of-fact "yeah yeah, I know I could lose some more weight still". There's no point in disliking, hating even, oneself, because it is what it is until it is no more.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Everyone's butt jiggles.

Which prompts the occasional "I'll just slow down for a couple of minutes" moment when I'm running in London :)
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    Everyone's butt jiggles.

Which prompts the occasional "I'll just slow down for a couple of minutes" moment when I'm running in London :)
    Heh, reading that Garmin of yours must be interesting. Butt, no butt, butt, no butt, no butt, no butt, butt,... Empirical research at its finest.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Everyone's butt jiggles.

Heh, reading that Garmin of yours must be interesting. Butt, no butt, butt, no butt, no butt, no butt, butt,... Empirical research at its finest.

Well it's all really non competitive assessing whether one is going faster than another runner or not. Nothing more to it than that really...
  • jazzie_red
    jazzie_red Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Life Lesson: Don't let things like what other people think about what you do, stop you from doing it. If it makes you happy, and not hurting anyone or yourself, just do it.

Life is way to short...
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I started the C25k program when I was close to 300 lbs, running in Golden Gate Park in San Francisco, after work... which is when EVERYONE (or so it seems!) chooses to run. I was definitely feeling very self-conscious and nervous about it.

But you know what? I got not a single comment or judgmental look, even with all the jiggling (which believe me, went well beyond my butt!) - mostly being ignored, occasionally a friendly smile, which is fine, since I was generally ignoring everyone else as well, with my headphones in and my head down. While I was definitely the heaviest person out there most days, every once in awhile I'd see someone closer to my shape running as well, and I was always STOKED to see that person and felt inspired by their dedication and effort. So maybe I was also an inspirational person for someone else out there... or maybe not - but it doesn't matter, I was out there for me.

I'm still out there almost every day, now just running, since I finished C25k. At 230 lbs, I still jiggle. A LOT. I'm still one of the biggest people I see out there. But hey - at least I'm out there running. And I still get mostly ignored, or sometimes will get a smile from a passing runner or bicyclist. It's all good. You just gotta get out there and take your first steps. :drinker:
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I started the C25K running program and did it outside. I hate cardio and I turn beet red afterwards lol. I just did my thing and didn't pay attention to the people around me. I've never gotten any rude remarks when running. I just listen to my music and app and do my own thing~

Just get out there and try not to think of other people :)
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    The first thing I always thought to myself when seeing an overweight person out for a run, or trying to run, was "good on them for getting out there!". Usually accompanied by a bit (lot) of guilt that I should be out there, too.

So when I started, I carried my head high and just told myself that they're saying the same thing about me... "good on her for getting out there". I admittedly have felt a little silly when going to a busier park to do my walk/run drills in my new gear, but I was out there doing it and got a lot of smiles from people going the other way.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Only thing most people are thinking as you go running by is "I need to get my fat butt off the couch and start running." You could be someone's inspiration that day. Go run, save the world!
  • wendy0210
    wendy0210 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Just go do it! :) I'm not a runner but I was so nervous to get out on a bike on the trails. I was so afraid all the "athletes" (i.e. who I thought had all the gear and were in fantastic shape) would look at my non-workout clothes and secretly think I didn't belong out there, but you know what? I passed by all sorts of people, from super athletic, to those just starting out like me, to everyone in between. It's cool to do the little nod or smile as you pass by and sometimes people say hello to each other. You'll feel like an athlete in no time. It's awesome that you're out there doing your thing to get healthier and now I feel like I belong there just like everyone else (although there are still people out there with awesome gear and in much better shape than me) :)

Your confidence will increase - promise - just start, and good luck!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Black clothes help, though. There's a funny someecard on Pinterest saying something about black exercise clothes being like going to the funeral of one's fat. It makes me laugh out loud each time I see it.

Humour helps keep the cringes and self-repulsion at bay, and soon enough the fat layers become slightly more matter-of-fact "yeah yeah, I know I could lose some more weight still". There's no point in disliking, hating even, oneself, because it is what it is until it is no more.

please don't wear black clothes at night while running... that is SO dangerous.

I'm much more inclined to wear bright colors and color block- something to break the line of the eye.

Ah- running at night in black- makes the traffic control coordinator in me cringe.
  • Jaywalker_7
    Jaywalker_7 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I started at running at 325 lbs and am now at 279. I was sooo self conscious at first. Then I started seeing an overweight woman running every morning on my way to work and she was really giving it her all. I was so PROUD of her and so inspired to keep going. I now run with my head held high and hope that I inspire someone else to be brave. It's very easy to say "just get over it and do it", it is extremely hard to actually do it. Many people who have struggled with weight carry demons from childhood on. It is so brave to face them head on both physically, mentally and in front of people nonetheless. I promise that when you decide to give it a try, after the initial discomfort, you will feel like superwoman. Good luck! :-)
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I definitely understand the feeling. You don't wanna show your weakness to strangers. It's a perfectly natural feeling. But for your own sake get over it. Because a few days ago I ran 7.5k. And that gives you the opposite feeling your all out there like .. yeah .. rest breaks .. intervals that's not happening. I'm not dying on my feet either. And it feels good.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    i recently on a vacation with no viable treadmill finally moved my run outdoors. every look i got from anyone, even at my highest weight and stopping every block or two for breath. every single look was a smile or nod. if people even looked at me at all. it was all encouraging not judgemental.

however, that was in my moms progressive small town full of rich people, here in my city people LOVE yelling out their cars at people. its like the citys official pastime. now that its cooling off i shall see how it is around here. nothing will stop me though, i want to run bloomsday in the spring.

i have decided if anyone yells at me i will just chase their truck or jalopy and run over the roof and jump over the other side.
  • AglaeaC
    Options

please don't wear black clothes at night while running... that is SO dangerous.

I'm much more inclined to wear bright colors and color block- something to break the line of the eye.

Ah- running at night in black- makes the traffic control coordinator in me cringe.
    Something reflective around places should do the trick! I live in a place that is dark a significant portion of the year, so being seen by fast-moving vehicles is part of walking, running or cycling, unless you do have a death wish.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Yes, to some extent but only because there are mountain lions and bears (no joke).