No energy on ketogenic diet after 6 weeks. Please help.

Options
124»

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Reduce fat %, eat at least 25gms carbs, increase protein %.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Maybe I missed it in all the nonsense but has the OP said how large of a deficit he/she has been eating ?

All diets will leave you feeling weak and lacking energy if you are in a large enough deficit.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Maybe I missed it in all the nonsense but has the OP said how large of a deficit he/she has been eating ?

All diets will leave you feeling weak and lacking energy if you are in a large enough deficit.

You didn't miss anything. But then again, I'm still thinking the OP is just trolling in the first place.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    3% carbs...... is this something your doctor has approved of?

My guess is probably not... because that's really extreme. Like REALLY extreme.

If you're dead set on Keto, fine, but you can probably do it with more carbs than a measly 3%.

But IMO, If I was feeling run down and had no energy and I knew the culprit is most likely from a recent diet change, I would stop following it. It's kind of a red flag when you start experiencing negative side effects. And you should absolutely only do something like that with doctor approval and supervision. Otherwise, you could end up really sick/hurt.
  • BetterKimmer
    BetterKimmer Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    If... It... Fits... Your... Macros...

Check it out. It is a great guide for what you need to lose weight and be healthy and HAPPY.

www.IIFYM.com
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    83% fat? add in protein. 83% fat is waaayyy too high. you have no energy because you have nothing to sustain you :)
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    OP, here's some advice to help you out. Adjust your macros. Put it to 70% fat, 25% protein and 5% carbs. Those are the typical settings for keto. Also, you may need to up the calories, especially if you're a dude. Also, like I said earlier, up the electrolytes as well.

Sorry that most of the advice you got was people bashing this way of eating. I promise you, there are people on here who eat keto and are very helpful. We just get drowned out by the negativity.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    You have no energy.......... Because your eating like 'zero' carbs!!!

I would eat some good yummy carbs if I was you - Just track 'CALORIES'

After a few days of eating carbs... You will feel more energised
  • the1brit
    the1brit Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    ladymiseryal, thanks for being helpful.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but anything that messes with or strays from the natural order of things is, well, not natural. You can't play around with your body and how it works like this. Fads and gimmicks to short cut around what is the real problem. Overeating is that real problem. Eating the wrong things, in the wrong amounts. Keto shmeto, eat a normal food plan, take in less than you put out, and you will lose weight. Maybe not as fast as you would like, but much safer than what you are doing.
    Ever wonder why ketone metabolism exists.........there's no reason to think it's not natural because that is exactly what it is.
  • gmstarr1
    gmstarr1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    At almost any given day, there's one or two thread about carbs vs if it fits your macros, eat it. Usually it starts like this...with someone with a question. If it works for you, ignore those people. I tend not to get into a debate with them because it's a waste of time. This is like religion...everyone has their own opinion, and I don't think you're going to change their minds.

The only thing I worry about is the negativity might turn people off from trying it when it can help some people. Because it can work (didn't work for my boyfriend, but it worked for me). I feel better without the carbs, and I've lost almost 40 pounds. If it's a fad...well, you know what, I don't care. Like Ladymiserali said, when I go into maintenance, I'll kick up my carbs a bit (I constantly play with my macros now), but I will never go back to being obese, sluggish, having stomach problems, and having to take the maximum dose of lopressor to keep my blood pressure under control.

I do agree that you should read up about keto if you're going to go this way. I read lots of information before I started. And I still read about keto and low carb.

Now I'm going to go eat my cinnamon roll...with lots of cream cheese icing (low carb of course)
  • ebyrnes66
    ebyrnes66 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Carbs = energy. If you do not eat carbs, you will not have energy. Simple as that.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Carbs = energy. If you do not eat carbs, you will not have energy. Simple as that.

It's not really that simple... but that's okay. There's no point getting into it in this thread.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

Ok, first off, people who eat low carb ARE eating carbs. Just not a lot of them. Second, if carbs are energy and if you eat less carbs you get less energy, then do explain how I'm able to work a pretty active retail job for 5 hours, then walk home, then work out for 45 minutes. I net under 30 carbs a day, sometimes under 20. This week, I'm fat fasting and my net carb intake is under 15. How am I not collapsing?