What do you eat with chili?

Options

Replies

• dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    If you want a healthy way to eat chili, I usually eat baby carrots and /or cucumbers for the crunch factor. They taste great with typical beef chili and I'm sure it will taste great with yours. Occasionally, I'll eat a few tortilla chips with it too and throw in jalapeno peppers or hot sauce for some zip.
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Cheese, chopped green onions, a little sour cream, and corn bread :)
  • pamelas9
    Options
    I can agree with most of the other posters, it can be a meal, or side dish, or topping. Before MFP - over elbow macaroni (or starchy potato) with a sprinkle of cheese.

If I'm eating it straight up, saltines and margarine (I know. I know.)

I like mine hot (like my family runs in terror) so we usually have some sour cream around for the wussy.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it's a southern thing or if people do it elsewhere too, but I like chili over a split baked potato. Then, topped with shredded SHARP cheddar cheese, a little sour cream, and a sprinkling of diced green onion. :P
    Yummy! I should try that!

To me, it's the only way to eat chili. :)
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    My mother always poured it over Fritos with parmesan cheese on top (well, that stuff in the green can that doesn't need to be refrigerated...not sure it actually counts as "cheese").

I generally make cornbread in an iron skillet to go with, but sometimes instead I'll crumble a few tortilla chips on top for the crunch with fewer calories. A sprinkle of Mexican cheese, a dollop of sour cream or plain greek yogurt, a few chunks of avocado.

Oh man, when is autumn getting here so I can make this???
  • kathyk519
    kathyk519 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I love chili as is, but I will make rice for my hubby - and he puts the chili on the rice. I have also used quinoa as well. You can do whatever you want with it - corn bread, garlic bread - I tend to put tons of veggies in everything I make, so I would add those to the chili pot - zucchini or peppers or cauliflour or whatever I happen to have on hand...experiment, enjoy!
  • searsvls
    searsvls Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it's a southern thing or if people do it elsewhere too, but I like chili over a split baked potato. Then, topped with shredded SHARP cheddar cheese, a little sour cream, and a sprinkling of diced green onion. :P

That is exactly how I have mine. I am from the south too!!
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options

That is exactly how I have mine. I am from the south too!!

:drinker:
  • Palamedes
    Palamedes Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    This is BBQ chicken chili which would be a bit different than my standard red beef chili. However, one way to stretch chili is to serve over macoroni to get Chilimac. You can never go wrong with cheddar cheese or sour cream with almost any kind of chili. My personal favorite is the chili dog:

Potato hot dog roll, Ballpark Angus beef premium hot dog, French's mustard, cheddar cheese, and some chili on top. I may have to ride my bike for an hour to make up for the chili dogs, but I don't plan to ever give them up.
  • thatgirlkellib
    thatgirlkellib Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Doritos or fritos TOP WITH CHILI add cheese and sour cream and hot sauce
  • marinabreeze
    marinabreeze Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    In my region if the country, we put chili on hot dogs and top it with mild cheddar, or over pasta.

My DH sometimes makes chili-stuffed tomatoes - literally baked tomato stuffed with chili. It's both healthier than the other uses for chili I mentioned and it tastes awesome. I imagine that stuffing tomatoes with bbq chicken chili would be tasty too.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Dollop is a goofy word.

I eat it with cheese and sour cream. Sometimes tomatoes and black olives if I'm feeling fancy.

In the UK they eat it with rice!
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I eat it like a meaty soup, grating some cheddar on top, adding a dollop of full fat yoghurt (sour cream is the usual classic addition here), and because I'm keeping my carbs down, I sometimes slice an avocado and add to the side, as well as slicing some carrots to scoop up the chili :)

Chili on a baked potato is lovely too. Oh, eating with a bunch of tortilla chips is great too! :)
  • thatgirlkellib
    thatgirlkellib Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Since this is a bbq chicken chili how about something like a cool coleslaw there is a billion reciepes but thats a fresh topping or side that taste great with bbq
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Dollop is a goofy word.

Especially when you say it like this, "Dollopdollopdollop." But I would never do that.
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    BBQ chicken chili? i'd do an Asian slaw with pineapple and horseradish, with a nice beer bread.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options

At one time Wendy's fast food used to have a baked potato that they served just like that ... with a topping of chili and shredded cheese, sour cream and green onion .... it was the best!.

However, I like my chili 2 ways .... either on it's own with a side of some chop-chop salad or over spaghetti.
  • missladyj631
    missladyj631 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I make a turkey chili on the regular :) My family loves it and so do most people. I make it for parties too and it's always a hit! I eat it with reduced fat shredded cheddar and I get the Tostitos bite size rounds (28 chips per serving) and eat it up!! Delish!! I made it last night!!
  • mimismommy11
    mimismommy11 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    On top of a hot dog in a nice soft bun topped with shredded cheddar and hot sauce. Or on top of a baked potato with shredded cheese and sour cream. Or with oyster crackers, cheese, sour cream, hot sauce. Or maybe cornbread. Or beer bread. It's pretty good any way you eat it. :happy:
  • ItsMeBlue
    ItsMeBlue Posts: 25 Member
    Options

Although there are a couple other ways..I will agree that it would be the number one way...potato is my friend! thanks man, now i'm hungry for chili! :)