Tips for keeping a straight back during deadlifts?

Options
2»

Replies

• maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    bump for future reading
  • YoungIronG
    YoungIronG Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    hold a nickel between your butt checks
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I was going to say watch yourself in the mirror. It helps me remember how to stick out my butt, keep my lower legs in one spot, and make sure my back is straight. I had to have a trainer explain it to me the first time, and then practice it with her watching me and critiquing it. I have the same problem of trying to figure it out by watching someone else. I'm terrible at that, which is why I avoid aerobics-like classes like the plague!
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I did see this mentioned earlier, but I did want to add a little to it. Part of the problem might be the plates you are using. I saw a couple of women at the gym using the 25lb metal plates. They had to reach down so far to grip the bar. Their form was crap.

If you can't lift 45lb/side yet; use the bumper plates (the rubber looking plates). Those are the same diameter as the 45lb plates, but come in 10, 25, 35lbs.

I also saw this mentioned earlier too, but I really have to focus on pinning my shoulders back. I also do a few light sets to warm-up and get my mind/body focused on good form. It helps that when I first started, my husband would watch and "correct" my form...which was annoying, but helpful.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Goodness, I went away for a bit and didn't realise that you'd taken the time to answer. Again, I didn't want to appear rude and disppear without checking a post in which I asked for advice.

Thank you, I will check your suggestions. I know that it's been a pull and not a push through the legs, so that's something right there.

I'm doing strong lifts and supposed to be lifting 47.50 kg next workout. The weights are getting heavier and difficult for me, and I could do with getting this right before I bollox up my back. I probably should reduce the weight until I get it right.

And a nickel? Try one of those coin rolls :laugh: