Over 40% of US Adults have Insulin Resistance

Options

Replies

• gilmore606
    gilmore606 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    bro i got a great plan for you are ya ready for this here it comes

eat fewer calories than you burn each day

guarantee youll fix that insulin pcos problem or whatever it is you're on about you feel me broham
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    bro i got a great plan for you are ya ready for this here it comes

eat fewer calories than you burn each day

guarantee youll fix that insulin pcos problem or whatever it is you're on about you feel me broham

And I've got a great plan for you…

Educate yourself on insulin resistance, PCOS, and other endocrine diseases, BRO.
  • kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Everyone has insulin resistance. It's a natural part of the human body's workings. The exact point at which it becomes a problem is open to interpretation so it's the kind of thing alarmist quacks really like to throw statistics at. I wouldn't mind betting that the criteria for having insulin resistance in any associated studies are rather low. And regardless. Scrutinizing the minutiae of your body is the primary occupation of excuse makers and people with eating disorders. As a comfort eater I am very sympathetic to those who build unhealthy habits around food. It is something i suffer from myself. But I didn't beat it by nit picking bodily details until some magical fairy of negacarbia came down from diet heaven and twinkled all my hunger away. I did it by slowly and with the support of my family and friends cultivating healthy exercise habits. And new stress outlets to avoid the need to binge on food to relieve anxiety or depression. That and a good deal of willpower. Without which no amount of help or nit picking will suffice.

Your mind is the far greatest obstacle between you and health in the face of this all this "insulin resistance" rubbish is utterly trite.

As someone who has insulin resistance due to PCOS, also no thyroid (due to cancer) and a heart condition I can honestly say it isn't about making excuses for all of us. It also isn't just about calories in calories out. For some of us it is more about figuring out what combination of macros works best for us which is usually low carb/sugar.

So please don't assume you know all of us and that we all are making excuses unless you have walked in our shoes.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I have no idea if that exact percentage is correct. But it doesn't surprise me, and is, unfortunately, only going to get worse in most countries including the U.S. and Canada.
    I think there is a lot of evidence that the US obesity rate is actually declining now.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/12/24/obesity-weight-wrapup/3921563/
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/26/health/obesity-rate-for-young-children-plummets-43-in-a-decade.html?_r=0
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/266166.php
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    My brother went to the doctor before starting his weight loss and exercise regime, and was diagnosed with pre-diabetes by the A1C test. It only took him 2 months of eating better and weight lifting 3-4x/week, with some light cardio, to reverse it entirely. His doctor now says all of his tests are completely clean.

I do not have a source for this, but my mother is type 2 diabetic, and has been for a very long time, and she told me that studies suggest weight training is better for increasing insulin sensitivity than cardio. She has to be very careful about her insulin on days she lifts, or she can get scary low blood sugar.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Everyone has insulin resistance. It's a natural part of the human body's workings. The exact point at which it becomes a problem is open to interpretation so it's the kind of thing alarmist quacks really like to throw statistics at. I wouldn't mind betting that the criteria for having insulin resistance in any associated studies are rather low. And regardless. Scrutinizing the minutiae of your body is the primary occupation of excuse makers and people with eating disorders. As a comfort eater I am very sympathetic to those who build unhealthy habits around food. It is something i suffer from myself. But I didn't beat it by nit picking bodily details until some magical fairy of negacarbia came down from diet heaven and twinkled all my hunger away. I did it by slowly and with the support of my family and friends cultivating healthy exercise habits. And new stress outlets to avoid the need to binge on food to relieve anxiety or depression. That and a good deal of willpower. Without which no amount of help or nit picking will suffice.

Your mind is the far greatest obstacle between you and health in the face of this all this "insulin resistance" rubbish is utterly trite.

As someone who has insulin resistance due to PCOS, also no thyroid (due to cancer) and a heart condition I can honestly say it isn't about making excuses for all of us. It also isn't just about calories in calories out. For some of us it is more about figuring out what combination of macros works best for us which is usually low carb/sugar.

So please don't assume you know all of us and that we all are making excuses unless you have walked in our shoes.

And at least for the ones I know, they don't want excuses. They want ANSWERS. Answers that will work for them because who really likes to be overweight? Some may accept it due to other choices, but there are a lot of people that want to find a way that is manageable for them. Isn't that what most people on MFP want? A way to maintain a healthy weight in the longterm?

The only difference is that for those with other issue, their paths and solutions may vary from the norm. I don't understand the unbridled anger that comes from those that insist on denigrating others -- declaring that they only want excuses rather than answers to their problems. Because you know what, if they just wanted excuses, then there would be no reason to come on a place like MFP. They could just sit home, eating themselves to death -- no one here would know one way or the other. The excuses brigade just doesn't make much sense on a baseline level. But I guess it makes some small people feel better about themselves.
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    Does insulin resistance cause obesity or does obesity result in insulin resistance?

There seems to be a relationship between the two. For some, insulin resistance contributes or causes the weight gain. For others, it is the result of the weight gain or something they develop after gaining weight. There doesn't seem to be a clear answer yet.
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    I have no idea if that exact percentage is correct. But it doesn't surprise me, and is, unfortunately, only going to get worse in most countries including the U.S. and Canada.
    I think there is a lot of evidence that the US obesity rate is actually declining now.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/12/24/obesity-weight-wrapup/3921563/
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/26/health/obesity-rate-for-young-children-plummets-43-in-a-decade.html?_r=0
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/266166.php

I hope so. But if 69% are overweight or obese already, that is terrifying.
  • sartezalb
    sartezalb Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    *Bottom line is this:*

1) In the absence of metabolic disorders, reduction of calorie intake and/or increase in activity level (within safe limits) will slow weight gain/increase rate of weight loss with minimal adverse effects.

2) The only individuals with the formal training and tools to diagnose said disorders, as well as determine how they might interact with any weight loss program, are medical professionals.

---

In response to some of the responses here: there are many, many disorders that won't be "dieted" away (e.g., PCOS, thyroid issues). On the other hand, disorders should not be advanced as the cause of anyone's weight loss frustrations without directed medical advice tailored to that individual.

If you suspect that a metabolic disorder is to blame for your weight loss issues, the safest bet is to see your physician! There is benefit to this regardless of your body type (obese patients can be evaluated for comorbidities such as heart disease, very thin patients can be flagged for eating disorder, etc.).

*Metabolic disorders, like any other chronic medical condition, are not to be ruled out or advanced prematurely as explanation without the requisite knowledge, training, and diagnostic tests.*
  • stephmofo
    stephmofo Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and I had insulin resistance and I found the more simple carbs and sweets I ate made me hungrier and would make me crave more of them. Going carb free, although it did curb cravings, was too difficult. A nutritionist I saw recommended complex carbs and eating more proteins to stay full. I try to do this, and have found MFP to be very helpful since I can't trust my own hunger cues. You will become less insulin resistant with weight loss because there will be less fat cells disrupting the flow of insulin to the insulin receptors.
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    *Bottom line is this:*

1) In the absence of metabolic disorders, reduction of calorie intake and/or increase in activity level (within safe limits) will slow weight gain/increase rate of weight loss with minimal adverse effects.

2) The only individuals with the formal training and tools to diagnose said disorders, as well as determine how they might interact with any weight loss program, are medical professionals.

---

In response to some of the responses here: there are many, many disorders that won't be "dieted" away (e.g., PCOS, thyroid issues). On the other hand, disorders should not be advanced as the cause of anyone's weight loss frustrations without directed medical advice tailored to that individual.

If you suspect that a metabolic disorder is to blame for your weight loss issues, the safest bet is to see your physician! There is benefit to this regardless of your body type (obese patients can be evaluated for comorbidities such as heart disease, very thin patients can be flagged for eating disorder, etc.).

*Metabolic disorders, like any other chronic medical condition, are not to be ruled out or advanced prematurely as explanation without the requisite knowledge, training, and diagnostic tests.*

I agree with this except for the advice about the over reliance on doctors. Anyone that spends any reasonable amount of time in the medical profession will tell people that they are their own best advocates. Relying fully on your doctor is a terrible idea. Educate yourself -- like with the statistics of how common insulin resistance is, what common symptoms are, etc. -- in addition to speaking with your doctors. There are plenty of doctors that will miss this or won't address it until someone is grossly overweight/obese or until bigger issues arise (high blood pressure, dangerous levels of triglycerides, etc.).

After all, I was told for 10+ years that everything was "fine", and I'm not the only one. Good doctors appreciate informed patients and patients who take responsibility for their own well-being, and that includes educating themselves and not wholly relying on doctors. Otherwise, there would never be a need for second/additional opinions. I'm sorry but not all doctors are created equal. Some are better than others.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    In part it's a chicken and egg issue. Obesity-induced insulin resistance might make it a bit tougher to lose weight, but the way to alleviate this condition is to lose weight (and get off the couch and be more active). That said, there's a difference between a thyroid condition, PCOS and simply having some degree of obesity-induced insulin resistance. It's fine to say obesity-induced insulin makes it a bit more difficult to lose weight or that makes it so that certain macronutrient intakes work better for you than others - but that's akin to a mom saying it's more difficult for her to find time to workout because she has kids. It's an obstacle but it's one you can overcome if you really want to. PCOS and thyroid conditions can be more difficult obstacles to overcome, and I'm not trying to diminish the effort of people that have these conditions, but understand these are also much rarer conditions than suffering from some degree of obesity-induced insulin resistance.

And yes, low carb diets might help somewhat for people with obesity-induced insulin resistance, but then again they might not. They may well help with satiation, but you might also end up having to cut out your favorite foods in the process. Some people are going to do better feeling satiated, while others may be willing to go a bit hungry on certain days if it means they can still eat "yummy carbs." In short, it's probably worth being aware of these things, but it doesn't really change your options at the end of the day.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options

And at least for the ones I know, they don't want excuses. They want ANSWERS. Answers that will work for them because who really likes to be overweight? Some may accept it due to other choices, but there are a lot of people that want to find a way that is manageable for them. Isn't that what most people on MFP want? A way to maintain a healthy weight in the longterm?

The only difference is that for those with other issue, their paths and solutions may vary from the norm. I don't understand the unbridled anger that comes from those that insist on denigrating others -- declaring that they only want excuses rather than answers to their problems. Because you know what, if they just wanted excuses, then there would be no reason to come on a place like MFP. They could just sit home, eating themselves to death -- no one here would know one way or the other. The excuses brigade just doesn't make much sense on a baseline level. But I guess it makes some small people feel better about themselves.

I have in fact walked in your shoes. I had high insulin resistance not diabetic levels. But pretty high. I don't anymore. I counted no carbs. I ate quite a lot of fruit. i ate but didn't overeat refined carbs. I lifted a lot of weights. And walked and walked and walked. And I am succeeding. Honestly it's hardly a challenge anymore. And what made it easy and gave me success is when I stopped looking for a reason I wasn't progressing. And just made it happen.

So by all means keep looking for excuses. Keep telling yourself that one day you will find the REAL cause of your problems. I mean it couldn't possibly be a problem with YOU right you're obviously perfect. So much so that you belittle anyone who dares to criticize your opinion. Interpreting their words as a personal attack.

The only thing worth clarifying as that I am NOT talking about people who have high insulin resistance due to genetic disorders. I hoped that this would have been obviously implied but apparently not. But if you have given yourself high insulin resistance you have to fight back. You don't have to do it alone but in the end we all gotta fight. If we don't we fail. Time and time again. There is no magic ticket that will remove that simple fact as the central factor to whether people do or do not lose weight. And that is your brain.
  • sartezalb
    sartezalb Posts: 27 Member
    Options

I agree with this except for the advice about the over reliance on doctors. Anyone that spends any reasonable amount of time in the medical profession will tell people that they are their own best advocates. Relying fully on your doctor is a terrible idea. Educate yourself -- like with the statistics of how common insulin resistance is, what common symptoms are, etc. -- in addition to speaking with your doctors.

I apologize if I seem like I was advocating for relying entirely on your doctor--I emphasize the value of medical professionals because some posters are giving me the vibe of "It's my body--I don't need anyone else's opinion. I know what I am."

Every patient-physician interaction should be two-way. The physician will have a certain expertise that *cannot* be replicated without appropriate training, but it will only go so far unless you are engaged in your health and are willing to be proactive in self-education. And if your physician can't or won't help you with that process--leave their practice and find someone else.
  • kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    Options

I have in fact walked in your shoes. I had high insulin resistance not diabetic levels. But pretty high. I don't anymore. I counted no carbs. I ate quite a lot of fruit. i ate but didn't overeat refined carbs. I lifted a lot of weights. And walked and walked and walked. And I am succeeding. Honestly it's hardly a challenge anymore. And what made it easy and gave me success is when I stopped looking for a reason I wasn't progressing. And just made it happen.

So by all means keep looking for excuses. Keep telling yourself that one day you will find the REAL cause of your problems. I mean it couldn't possibly be a problem with YOU right you're obviously perfect. So much so that you belittle anyone who dares to criticize your opinion. Interpreting their words as a personal attack.

The only thing worth clarifying as that I am NOT talking about people who have high insulin resistance due to genetic disorders. I hoped that this would have been obviously implied but apparently not. But if you have given yourself high insulin resistance you have to fight back. You don't have to do it alone but in the end we all gotta fight. If we don't we fail. Time and time again. There is no magic ticket that will remove that simple fact as the central factor to whether people do or do not lose weight. And that is your brain.

Sorry I shouldn't have quoted you, it wasn't meant for specifically you just in general. I find that on here quite frequently if someone says they are struggling due to a medical condition half the responses are to quit making excuses because that is what they are assuming you are doing. Also if you mention you are doing low carb or low sugar many are like "eat what you want in moderation" but that doesn't work for everyone, but if you say that you get bashed. That is very frustrating sometimes.
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    In part it's a chicken and egg issue. Obesity-induced insulin resistance might make it a bit tougher to lose weight, but the way to alleviate this condition is to lose weight (and get off the couch and be more active). That said, there's a difference between a thyroid condition, PCOS and simply having some degree of obesity-induced insulin resistance. It's fine to say obesity-induced insulin makes it a bit more difficult to lose weight or that makes it so that certain macronutrient intakes work better for you than others - but that's akin to a mom saying it's more difficult for her to find time to workout because she has kids. It's an obstacle but it's one you can overcome if you really want to. PCOS and thyroid conditions can be more difficult obstacles to overcome, and I'm not trying to diminish the effort of people that have these conditions, but understand these are also much rarer conditions than suffering from some degree of obesity-induced insulin resistance.

And yes, low carb diets might help somewhat for people with obesity-induced insulin resistance, but then again they might not. They may well help with satiation, but you might also end up having to cut out your favorite foods in the process. Some people are going to do better feeling satiated, while others may be willing to go a bit hungry on certain days if it means they can still eat "yummy carbs." In short, it's probably worth being aware of these things, but it doesn't really change your options at the end of the day.

I agree with you for the most part, except I do think you undervalue the satiety issue for those with insulin resistance. For some of us, it's much bigger than a little hungry. I'm far from the first person to go low-ish carb who has one of these conditions and find it shockingly liberating -- that it's a huge relief to not be constantly plagued with cravings and hunger. And, unless you've been on this side of the equation, I don't think you realize how big of a deal it can be for some people.
  • lindsey1979
    Options

I'm not sure I'd say it's a personal attack, but I do find it insulting that getting useful information out there to people that can HELP them on their journey is viewed by some as looking for excuses rather than answers.

If they already know this and just have to do it, fine, point taken. But those wouldn't be the people I'm trying to reach. I'm looking for people that don't know about this and this information may help them to what they're *already* doing.

Just because you were lazy or in denial doesn't meant that is the problem for others.
  • stephmofo
    stephmofo Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Does insulin resistance cause obesity or does obesity result in insulin resistance?

There seems to be a relationship between the two. For some, insulin resistance contributes or causes the weight gain. For others, it is the result of the weight gain or something they develop after gaining weight. There doesn't seem to be a clear answer yet.
  • Everburg16
    Options
    I actually have insulin resistance, and that's why I started on MFP, to reduce it. I gotta say, a lot of doctors don't recognize it. I've been to many doctors in the past and they never even thought of it. I found out last year because my fertility doctor recognized some of the signs - I have acanthosis nigricans on the back of my neck, armpits and thighs, which is an unusual dark skin. I also have a fat roll overlapping my belly button, which she told me was because my body was storing my fat instead of using it - she said it accumulates in that area.

I DID have a lot of success with a lower carb diet (60 or 70 carbs a day), but I found it was almost impossible to keep up. So now I just try to do the best I can on a lower calorie deficit. Hopefully I'll be able to get some of my sensitivity back.
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    I actually have insulin resistance, and that's why I started on MFP, to reduce it. I gotta say, a lot of doctors don't recognize it. I've been to many doctors in the past and they never even thought of it. I found out last year because my fertility doctor recognized some of the signs - I have acanthosis nigricans on the back of my neck, armpits and thighs, which is an unusual dark skin. I also have a fat roll overlapping my belly button, which she told me was because my body was storing my fat instead of using it - she said it accumulates in that area.

I DID have a lot of success with a lower carb diet (60 or 70 carbs a day), but I found it was almost impossible to keep up. So now I just try to do the best I can on a lower calorie deficit. Hopefully I'll be able to get some of my sensitivity back.

If it helps, some of the things I've done specifically to help with insulin sensitivity is (1) lifting heavy (some studies show this being as one of the best forms of exercise to increase insulin sensitivity -- also helps maintain as much LBM in a deficit) and (2) IFing (I opt for 5:2 plan and found it to be a great way to get my weekly deficit -- so much easier for me than traditional daily deficit -- and you get the added benefit of increased insulin sensitivity which was my main goal for trying it).