BACON!

Options
Hey guys! I am on a ketogenic diet and I thought I would ask some questions about bacon, and create a general bacon thread.

What are some interesting things you do with bacon when you include it in your meals? It is great all by itself, however it makes everything else it touches taste better.

Any ideas from low-carbers? I could use some ideas, because even though the taste is great, eating it as a side (or in my case, a single entree item) can get boring.

What kind of bacon do you buy? I get the Economy cut kind. It is about 75-80% fat based on calories, and about 60% based on weight (I did my own scientific study on the bacon, as it didn't come with a nutrition label).

Its BACON!!!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    One of our grocery stores, Acme, has the hands down best bacon. It's just their store brand thick cut kind but so good. My daughter can even identify it by taste (bacon line up! ) that's how much we prefer it. I mostly just eat it plain but it is good cooked with green beans and onions too. Also, you can cook some nice and crispy, set it aside and roast quartered brussels sprouts in some of the grease, and then serve them with crumbled bacon on top. And don't forget the good old blt.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I buy the cheapest or on sale I can find. pork- never that gross rubber turkey crap. tomorrow I am making grilled chicken breast with bacon and a slice of cheese on it, serving with tomatoes and lettuce slices and some baked potatoe wedges. we love bacon but it is so expensive I only buy it every few weeks
  • baxterroxy
    baxterroxy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's applewood smoked bacon is THE BEST EVER! I have been making chicken cutlet roulade stuffed with artichoke hearts and a little parmesan cheese with bacon strips on top. Sooooo good.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Wrights bacon and added to just about anything is good. I don't do low carb so I add it to cookies, cupcakes, on top of chicken, cooked with veggies... it's BACON it goes with most things
  • ineedalifetbh
    ineedalifetbh Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'm simple, I just cut it up and put it in my omelette. :smile:
  • tdavies1980
    tdavies1980 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am on high protein low carb diet and have lost 1st 1lb in three weeks.

the bacon I use is the own brand low fat - made with water however before you say yuk it tastes and looks like bacon and when you put it in a baking tray in the oven with an egg inside it, it comes out great.

Sausage well just any sausage will do as long as its tasty.

:happy:
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Wrights bacon and added to just about anything is good. I don't do low carb so I add it to cookies, cupcakes, on top of chicken, cooked with veggies... it's BACON it goes with everything

FIFY
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    Wrights bacon and added to just about anything is good. I don't do low carb so I add it to cookies, cupcakes, on top of chicken, cooked with veggies... it's BACON it goes with everything

FIFY

Thank you, you are right it goes with everything
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    bacon- herm- I use Farmland- mostly because it's consistently good.

I did just pick up a new brand with no nitrates which I'm excited to try.

I mostly just make it straight- but I do occasionaly make bacon wrapped asparagus AND I also will make little biscuits with cheese- jalepeno and brown sugar baked bacon.

(buy the grands or off brand pre made biscuit dough- cut in half- bake bacon in the oven with brown sugar till crispy- meanwhile chop cheese and jalepeno up)

crumble bacon
    fold bacon- cheese jalepeno into half dough bit
    form ball
    bake at 350 till golden brown.

NOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

that's about it.
  • mave34
    mave34 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    "Are you going to eat that left over bacon?" Said nobody...ever!! :laugh:
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I buy Burgers Smokehouse Bacon Steak bacon. It has no crap in it. Ingredients are minimal: bacon, salt, brown sugar, sodium nitrate. It's really good too.

There really isn't anything you can't do with bacon. We cook it up, then take kale and cook it in the drippings, crumble the bacon and toss with blue cheese. OMG!

Or bacon and eggs.

Or bacon and bacon.

Or just bacon.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    "Are you going to eat that left over bacon?" Said nobody...ever!! :laugh:

Lol. My daughter and I go out to brunch every Saturday after her swim lessons and my workout. She always orders a side of bacon (3 slices) and gives me one piece. It started because she was going to leave a piece uneaten (gasp!) and I told her that leftover bacon is ridiculous. So now it's become our Saturday tradition.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I buy Burgers Smokehouse Bacon Steak bacon. It has no crap in it. Ingredients are minimal: bacon, salt, brown sugar, sodium nitrate. It's really good too.

There really isn't anything you can't do with bacon. We cook it up, then take kale and cook it in the drippings, crumble the bacon and toss with blue cheese. OMG!

Or bacon and eggs.

Or bacon and bacon.

Or just bacon.

ooh.....that is a good idea! I love frying kale with butter, because it just flows on my tongue, but I never thought of using the grease to cook the kale with....it would work. I am actually going to use that idea this morning with the leftover bacon grease in the pan from last night! That is perfect for keto!
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I buy the cheapest or on sale I can find. pork- never that gross rubber turkey crap. tomorrow I am making grilled chicken breast with bacon and a slice of cheese on it, serving with tomatoes and lettuce slices and some baked potatoe wedges. we love bacon but it is so expensive I only buy it every few weeks

I just bought some economy bacon for $2.99 per pound, which is still less than steak. It has more fat in it, but I did an experiment and calculated it at about 60/40 fat/meat by mass. See what your butcher puts out!
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    bacon_zps3a8c419b.jpg
  • territhefrog
    territhefrog Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I think I am going to cry. There is no bacon in my refrigerator.
  • __Bad_Leroy
    Options
    Before MFP I thought bacon was just for breakfast and would usually only have it on weekends. Thanks to threads like this, I now have it multiple times each day. Just want to say thanks for opening my mind.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options

Not to be a pain, because I don't care, but technically sodium nitrate is crap. Nitrites/nitrates are one of my migraine triggers, heh.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I think I am going to cry. There is no bacon in my refrigerator.

you're fridge is broken!!!

We do turkey wrapped in bacon- and that is AMAZING.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    bacon- herm- I use Farmland- mostly because it's consistently good.

I did just pick up a new brand with no nitrates which I'm excited to try.

I mostly just make it straight- but I do occasionaly make bacon wrapped asparagus AND I also will make little biscuits with cheese- jalepeno and brown sugar baked bacon.

(buy the grands or off brand pre made biscuit dough- cut in half- bake bacon in the oven with brown sugar till crispy- meanwhile chop cheese and jalepeno up)

crumble bacon
    fold bacon- cheese jalepeno into half dough bit
    form ball
    bake at 350 till golden brown.

NOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

that's about it.

I will be making this! Thank you!