BACON!

Options
2»

Replies

• RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I buy Burgers Smokehouse Bacon Steak bacon. It has no crap in it. Ingredients are minimal: bacon, salt, brown sugar, sodium nitrate. It's really good too.

Not to be a pain, because I don't care, but technically sodium nitrate is crap. Nitrites/nitrates are one of my migraine triggers, heh.

The many benefits of this "crap", just for kicks and giggles: http://www.livestrong.com/article/124054-uses-sodium-nitrate/
    The same stuff that preserves your meat can also blow *kitten* up!
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    I put bacon in my stuffed mushrooms... only 1 carb/ 25 cals per mushroom..

I just take the stems out of button mushrooms... fry up a few slices of bacon(reserve a little bit of the grease to saute with onions & stems) and crumble it.. then I saute a little bit of finely chopped onions or dry minced onions & minced garlic with the stems(finely chopped) in the reserved bacon grease... I then mix 1 brick of cream cheese (I use the Nufetchel (spelling??)) with the bacon, onion, stems, and some black pepper... once mixed I stuff the button mushroom tops and then bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes...

YUMMMMMMMY
  • RockstarWilson
    Options

I just take the stems out of button mushrooms... fry up a few slices of bacon(reserve a little bit of the grease to saute with onions & stems) and crumble it.. then I saute a little bit of finely chopped onions or dry minced onions & minced garlic with the stems(finely chopped) in the reserved bacon grease... I then mix 1 brick of cream cheese (I use the Nufetchel (spelling??)) with the bacon, onion, stems, and some black pepper... once mixed I stuff the button mushroom tops and then back at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes...

YUMMMMMMMY

bacon and mushrooms! That is a definite top combo!

It is worth mentioning, since we are on the topic, that the bacon grease is EXTRA calories on top of the "listed" bacon calories. If two slices are 70 calories, or one thick slice is 80, it does not count the leftover grease. Bacon grease is still relative to oil, as it is pure fat. 9 calories per gram, or 36 per tsp
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I'll put it in a salad from time to time, but other than that, I'm old fashioned and prefer it with my omelet. However, I do save bacon grease and cook my omelets with it. YUMMY!(also a ketoer in case you didn't know. lol)

However, since I found out I have an ulcer, I have to limit my meat consumption a bit to make sure it doesn't get worse. So I haven't been having as much bacon. It makes me have a sad.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options

I just take the stems out of button mushrooms... fry up a few slices of bacon(reserve a little bit of the grease to saute with onions & stems) and crumble it.. then I saute a little bit of finely chopped onions or dry minced onions & minced garlic with the stems(finely chopped) in the reserved bacon grease... I then mix 1 brick of cream cheese (I use the Nufetchel (spelling??)) with the bacon, onion, stems, and some black pepper... once mixed I stuff the button mushroom tops and then back at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes...

YUMMMMMMMY

It is worth mentioning, since we are on the topic, that the bacon grease is EXTRA calories on top of the "listed" bacon calories. If two slices are 70 calories, or one thick slice is 80, it does not count the leftover grease. Bacon grease is still relative to oil, as it is pure fat. 9 calories per gram, or 36 per tsp

Im not really familiar with the KETO diet, but I was hoping all these ingredients were OK
  • tashigolean33
    Options
    There are people who weave taco shells out of bacon. I try and use only pastured bacon when I can find it. I stay away from sugar and nitrates if I can help it.
  • RockstarWilson
    Options

YUMMMMMMMY

Im not really familiar with the KETO diet, but I was hoping all these ingredients were OK

hehe. yeah, they are, imo. I forgot to indicate that my comment was more of a sidenote than a response. The keto diet is a diet of 70 percent fat and 10 percent or less of carbs.
  • Sweetvirgo63
    Sweetvirgo63 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I sometimes buy the turkey bacon at Costco; best one when compared to the other brands in grocery store.

I also buy the pre-cooked bacon slices which are way less fattening; don't have to cook them before making a sandwich or breakfast. 30-40 seconds in the microwave to soften it up.

Other than that, I buy the one that looks like it has the most meat as opposed to the most fatty tissue, that's if you can actually call bacon "meat".

I love putting 2 slices of cooked bacon [if cold] with just japanese cabbage and warming the whole thing together in a microwave. Makes for a quick lunch at the office. Everything tastes like bacon - yum

When I cook my bacon, I do it in my George Foreman grill, all the grease runs out.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    OP: Google "Bacon Explosion" and then go to the store :)

Also, you might try curing your own - it's actually ridiculously easy, and this guy has the best recipe I've ever tasted:
    http://ruhlman.com/2010/10/home-cured-bacon-2/

The hardest part these days is finding a butcher who sells pork belly - it's not generally available in grocery stores.

Also: On the whole, nitrates are harmless:
    http://chriskresser.com/the-nitrate-and-nitrite-myth-another-reason-not-to-fear-bacon
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Bacon Wrapped Scallops:

Ingredients
    12 slices of bacon, cut in half lengthwise
    24 medium-sized scallops
    10 Tbsp butter
    6 cloves garlic, pressed
    Dash of cayenne pepper (optional)
    Salt
    Pepper
    Toothpicks

Instructions
    ◾Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
    ◾Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish. If you want to make clean up easier, line the baking dish with foil (shiny side down) and grease the foil.
    ◾Cut the bacon slices in half lengthwise so you have 24 pieces.
    ◾Pre-fry the bacon just until it gets some color and it's still limp and soft (it needs to be flexible enought to wrap around the scallops).
    ◾Melt the butter in a small bowl.
    ◾Add garlic, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper (if using) and stir well.
    ◾Set half of this butter / garlic mixture aside for later.
    ◾Dip each scallop in melted butter / garlic sauce.
    ◾Wrap a strip of bacon around each scallop; secure with toothpick (all the way through the scallop).
    ◾Arrange the wrapped scallops on the greased baking dish.
    ◾Bake on the middle rack for around 15 minutes (or until the scallops are done and the bacon is crisp).
    ◾Place scallops in large bowl and pour remaining butter / garlic sauce from earlier over the scallops and toss gently to coat.

---

Just saw this recipe and I'm seriously considering going to the grocery store tonight to get some scallops (because of course I already have bacon).

I usually just fry a few pieces and make a breakfast sandwich with an egg, 2 pieces of wheat toast, butter and jam. It's good stuff.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I buy 60% ground sirloin, 40% ground bacon from my local butcher. If you can find that, I'd recommend it.

Use that in any recipe calling for ground beef. Very tasty - decent amounts of fat keep the meat from getting dry and yet somehow not that much renders out or makes the dish greasy. Also has a mild bacon-y flavor.
  • HipsterWhovian
    HipsterWhovian Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Nowhere near keto, but I love bacon with butternut squash in mac n cheese. It's delicious, and making mac n cheese better than it already is!
  • RockstarWilson
    Options

When I cook my bacon, I do it in my George Foreman grill, all the grease runs out.

I have that...totally forgot about it! I am going to see how it tastes compared to the pan.
  • Sirinya55
    Sirinya55 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Crushy bacon on top of jasmine rice!
  • cherrilovee
    cherrilovee Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm usually addicted to carbs but I'm trying out a low carb diet.
    Today I bought bacon jerky! It was really good and I just couldn't get enough of it! :)
  • cmpnaz
    cmpnaz Posts: 190
    Options
    Bacon Wrapped Venison Tenderloin is the Best!!!

I think that once I seen Bacon Milkshakes that it was confirmed there is absolutely nothing that does not go with and is not better with BACON !
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Bacon Wrapped Little Smokies (aka meat candy)

Cut bacon into thirds
    Wrap each third around a little smokie, secure with a toothpick
    Put in a ziplock bag and sprinkle 1/2 cup of brown sugar and a little cayenne pepper inside, let sit for a couple of hours
    Put on a foil lined broiler pan and bake for about 40 minutes, flipping once halfway through.

Enjoy!