National Anthem During Prayers

Options

Replies

• lizzybathory
    Options
    You all say it was disrespectful, that he should have been a better representative of our country. Have any of you been in war? Have you had to deal with death all around you? Maybe don't be so quick to judge a man fighting for your freedom. Maybe try a little harder to put yourself in his shoes.
    You're kidding, right? Anyone occupying themselves with such disrespectful activities is someone I would argue is not "fighting for my freedom".

Stress is understandable, but isn't an excuse for really poor behavior. He doesn't get a free pass on his actions "because freedom".
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    In Afghanistan it is not just around mosques. It is broadcasted through entire cities. I also know this happens in cities in Saudi Arabia.

I wonder if it's even true. I hear about a lot of things like this that turn out to be hoaxes. I checked Snopes for it but they don't have anything. I certainly hope it's not true because it is highly offensive and I like to think our soldiers are trained better than to do something so stupid.

ETA: I've done more research and this happened back in Dec. 2012. The soldier's name is Beau Embrey. Videos show him playing it at a military base. All the videos claim it's during Muslim prayer time, but since they have formal prayers 5 times a day, it wouldn't be hard to hit at least one of them just by coincidence. LOL. As far as I could tell, no Muslims were within hearing distance.

I feel like the bolded part needs some clarification. Even though I realize this video is complete BS and that this didn't happened or if it did, it wasn't the intent of the soldier, I just wanted to say this. When you say 5 times a day, it takes literally no more than 10 minutes each time to pray. The prayer is done in very low volume and is usually not audible outside of the mosque. There are certain mosques who do and certain occassions asks for it to be audible outdoors but typically, it is not the case. And the loud prayer voice you hear, its called azaan, which takes no more than 1 minute to say.

The more you know

You are talking about Azaan. Azaan is like a alarm clock. Its to remind you that the prayer is going to happen soon, get yourself inside the mosque to pray. Azaan doesn't take more than 1 minute. The actual PRAYER is done indoors a bit quietly. While they do use speakerphones for the actual prayer, they don't use the outside speakerphones for the actual prayer. I know this because I live(d) in those countries :)
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I disagree. (I agree monotheistic religions are all violent), but the Koran does not just condone violence in the case of self defense. Yes it end goal is world peace, but that can only be obtained by global conversion or dhimmitude mixture status. It promotes Muslim campaigns and the conquering of lands.
    I never said religion is all there was to Muslim extremists, as there are many political and ethnic facets involved as well. I took issue with her saying religion has nothing to do with, and that extremists have no idea what their religion is.
    Djinn, all ideologies can become violent... in fact, any ideology that says that it is "universally true" will inevitably condone violence in some form (even if it is in self defense). From there, any act of aggression can be justified as an act of preemptive self-defense.

As for the "fundamentalist whackos," they actually aren't following the commandments of the Hadith or Koran. There are some justifications for their actions (if they feel their religion is being threatened) for religious warfare but the guidance is fairly limited and the rules of engagement are very strict (they're not allowed to target innocent civilians or continue fighting when it is clear that the aggressor does not wish to attack their faith).

To try to simplify our current geopolitical instability as a struggle of religious extremists against the West's freedoms is silly and misguided. As always, the reality is complicated and involves subtleties that most Americans don't care to understand.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,691 Member
    Options
    15. Divisive Topics Are Better Suited For Groups, Not the Main Forums

Divisive topics and posts, particularly those that seek input from or are relevant only to a select group of users, are better placed within an appropriate Group rather than the Main Forums. For example, topics relevant to only one religion should not be placed on the main forums but rather within a group related to that religion.

Just a reminder that if this thread starts to go into a religious debate, it will be locked. It's fine to discuss opinion on the action, but let's not get into a debate about religion on the general boards.

Ninerbuff
    MFP Moderator
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    This is why no one likes us.
  • DjinnMarie
    Options
    I know, I was referring to the call to prayer. I guess I misread your comment.

Edit: Sorry niner. Stopping now.
    In Afghanistan it is not just around mosques. It is broadcasted through entire cities. I also know this happens in cities in Saudi Arabia.

I wonder if it's even true. I hear about a lot of things like this that turn out to be hoaxes. I checked Snopes for it but they don't have anything. I certainly hope it's not true because it is highly offensive and I like to think our soldiers are trained better than to do something so stupid.

ETA: I've done more research and this happened back in Dec. 2012. The soldier's name is Beau Embrey. Videos show him playing it at a military base. All the videos claim it's during Muslim prayer time, but since they have formal prayers 5 times a day, it wouldn't be hard to hit at least one of them just by coincidence. LOL. As far as I could tell, no Muslims were within hearing distance.

I feel like the bolded part needs some clarification. Even though I realize this video is complete BS and that this didn't happened or if it did, it wasn't the intent of the soldier, I just wanted to say this. When you say 5 times a day, it takes literally no more than 10 minutes each time to pray. The prayer is done in very low volume and is usually not audible outside of the mosque. There are certain mosques who do and certain occassions asks for it to be audible outdoors but typically, it is not the case. And the loud prayer voice you hear, its called azaan, which takes no more than 1 minute to say.

The more you know

You are talking about Azaan. Azaan is like a alarm clock. Its to remind you that the prayer is going to happen soon, get yourself inside the mosque to pray. Azaan doesn't take more than 1 minute. The actual PRAYER is done indoors a bit quietly. While they do use speakerphones for the actual prayer, they don't use the outside speakerphones for the actual prayer. I know this because I live(d) in those countries :)
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options

The more you know

My SO just returned from a few weeks in Indonesia and he said he woke up each morning around 4 am during prayer because it was broadcast over a loudspeaker outside the mosque near his hotel. Granted the prayer time was not long, like you said 10 minutes or so, but it was not a quiet prayer that was not audible outside the mosque.
  • Return_of_the_Big_Mac
    Options
    I disagree. (I agree monotheistic religions are all violent), but the Koran does not just condone violence in the case of self defense. Yes it end goal is world peace, but that can only be obtained by global conversion or dhimmitude mixture status. It promotes Muslim campaigns and the conquering of lands.
    I never said religion is all there was to Muslim extremists, as there are many political and ethnic facets involved as well. I took issue with her saying religion has nothing to do with, and that extremists have no idea what their religion is.
    Djinn, all ideologies can become violent... in fact, any ideology that says that it is "universally true" will inevitably condone violence in some form (even if it is in self defense). From there, any act of aggression can be justified as an act of preemptive self-defense.

As for the "fundamentalist whackos," they actually aren't following the commandments of the Hadith or Koran. There are some justifications for their actions (if they feel their religion is being threatened) for religious warfare but the guidance is fairly limited and the rules of engagement are very strict (they're not allowed to target innocent civilians or continue fighting when it is clear that the aggressor does not wish to attack their faith).

To try to simplify our current geopolitical instability as a struggle of religious extremists against the West's freedoms is silly and misguided. As always, the reality is complicated and involves subtleties that most Americans don't care to understand.

Happy to take this offline based on what ninerbuff said.
  • taunto
    Options
    15. Divisive Topics Are Better Suited For Groups, Not the Main Forums

Divisive topics and posts, particularly those that seek input from or are relevant only to a select group of users, are better placed within an appropriate Group rather than the Main Forums. For example, topics relevant to only one religion should not be placed on the main forums but rather within a group related to that religion.

Just a reminder that if this thread starts to go into a religious debate, it will be locked. It's fine to discuss opinion on the action, but let's not get into a debate about religion on the general boards.

Ninerbuff
    MFP Moderator

Shouldn't you... you know... lock the thread too? :)
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    So, one of our soldiers played our national anthem during Muslim prayers?

I agree. Disrespectful.

It is not the religion of Islam that murdered our people. It is the fundamentalist wackos that did so, hiding behind the guise of religion while keeping their followers ignorant. Those "people" are the equivalent of the KKK or Westboro church, both of which are Christian but obviously do not represent the faith. It is very important to keep the RELIGION and the PEOPLE separate, because ISIS and ISIL and all these fundamentalists obviously have never read nor understand their proclaimed religious tomes. I have read them, and no where does it say it is OK to blow people up who disagree with your faith. Not in ANY religion.

ISIS and ISIL are the same thing... just two different names... Just a little FYI. And the leader of ISIS is a Cleric, he studied to be a Cleric at one of the Universities in Baghdad.

Other than that, I have nothing to add to this discussion just because I don't wanna.
  • taunto
    Options

The more you know

My SO just returned from a few weeks in Indonesia and he said he woke up each morning around 4 am during prayer because it was broadcast over a loudspeaker outside the mosque near his hotel. Granted the prayer time was not long, like you said 10 minutes or so, but it was not a quiet prayer that was not audible outside the mosque.

Once again, the AZAAN (call for prayer) is broadcasted outdoors. In some areas the prayer is also broadcasted outdoors but not in Afghanistan. At least not typically.
  • DjinnMarie
    Options
    I would be happy to this afternoon. Right now I have kids to tend to and household chores.

Happy to take this offline based on what ninerbuff said.
  • Return_of_the_Big_Mac
    Options
    I'd suggest a new testament approach to the kids and an old testament approach to the chores
  • corehawk
    corehawk Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You all say it was disrespectful, that he should have been a better representative of our country. Have any of you been in war? Have you had to deal with death all around you? Maybe don't be so quick to judge a man fighting for your freedom. Maybe try a little harder to put yourself in his shoes.
    You're kidding, right? Anyone occupying themselves with such disrespectful activities is someone I would argue is not "fighting for my freedom".

Stress is understandable, but isn't an excuse for really poor behavior. He doesn't get a free pass on his actions "because freedom".

That is an easy statement to make from the comfort of your home. If you think this was a 'disrespectful activity', you haven't seen anything.

Stress? Ha! I don't think you really have a clue what your talking about.
  • taunto
    Options

That is an easy statement to make from the comfort of your home. If you think this was a 'disrespectful activity', you haven't seen anything.

The soldiers are paid for the job. If they can't handle the job, don't apply. Just because they want a good job which requires no skills doesn't mean they get to make their problem my problem.
  • DjinnMarie
    Options
    Oh there have been plenty of times I have wanted to go all "sodom and Gomorrah" on my house. Lol
    I'd suggest a new testament approach to the kids and an old testament approach to the chores
  • DjinnMarie
    Options
    :noway:

You obviously don't understand the training (skills) that are acquired and taught in the military.

Disappointed. And here it was civil, up until now.

The soldiers are paid for the job. If they can't handle the job, don't apply. Just because they want a good job which requires no skills doesn't mean they get to make their problem my problem.
  • Return_of_the_Big_Mac
    Options
    Oh there have been plenty of times I have wanted to go all "sodom and Gomorrah" on my house. Lol

Do not recommend Psalm 137:9 as parenting advice.
  • Return_of_the_Big_Mac
    Options

Right... which is why discipline is a major part of the military structure. Discipline ensures that you don't break when stress is high.
  • DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    All I can think of is "this is why no one likes our country"

I once got up to a woman and told her that "I am better than you". Everywhere she turned, there I was, reminding her that I am better than her. She went to get a drink of water. I told her I only drink water that is filtered 8 times and the water she is drinking is suitable only to bathe in. Then I told her I am better than her.

She started dancing, I told her that this is not the appropriate dance for the occassions and I showed her the dance she ought to be doing. Then I reminded her that this is the reason I am better than her.

Then I told her that I am better than her because I make more money than her, even though I had no idea how much money she makes.

I told her I have more education than her, even though I had no idea what her education was.

I told her that her skin color isn't good enough and that mine is better than her.

Eventually she understood that I AM in fact better than her and she slept with me.

This is the same tactic America uses and is the reason we all love America!

And it had NOTHING to do with the roophies...did it?