How not to tell myself white lies in weak moments

Options
13»

Replies

• angela233Z
    angela233Z Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I totally get it!!

That is how I got to be this weight - just thinking one cookie/bag of chips etc wasn't going to hurt.

Here is what is currently working for me.
    1 - I do 5:2 diet, where you eat 500 calories 2 days a week and eat at Maintenance other 5 days. So I can easily say on my low cal days - that I can have it tomorrow and I often do, but have lost weight doing this.

2 - LOG EVERYTHING IN MFP. Once I started seeing how those handfuls of cheetos were affecting my weight loss, it was easier to stop eating them.

good luck :-)
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    Options
    I have similar issues with the good intentions that get derailed by temptation. I pretty much have to avoid, well, Pennsylvania. People who live there understand. Cheese steaks. Fresh pretzels. Tastykakes. It's a gauntlet. I throw in the Jersey Shore for good measure. But since it's inevitable that I will be in one of those two places every couple of years, I just plan for it. So, on a smaller scale, you will just need to plan for the little extras that you want. Then, instead of it sabotaging your efforts, it's worked into your day. No guilt. No gain. No problem. I used to go to McDonald's telling myself that I was only going to get one thing and end up getting 3. Now I will go perhaps 2 times a month and keep it under 600 calories - I worked it in. I have French fry needs. They've got the goods. Once I started pre-logging, it made all the difference in the world.

But, truthfully, I don't have it ALL worked out. I have no control over Pennsylvania. It's like Disneyland for my taste buds. :tongue:
  • samuelsson
    samuelsson Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Next time you order a donut, order a dozen. Eat as many as you can until you are physically sick and never want one again. Worked for Peeps, Gardettos, and Doritos. Just don't do it in front of people.

I didn't work for Homer

tumblr_mfq06y5nyE1qfrrv2o1_500.gif

And it won't work for chronic compulsive overeaters either (raising hand). In fact, eating in secret and eating things like donuts until I was physically sick were things I did every day for about 10 years. So no...it doesn't work.

I agree with the above poster, as another compulsive overeater (who still has her moments, so I can relate to the OP). In fact, my suggestion is similar to that of many other posts -- DESTROY THE SECRECY.

Seriously. Log everything. Everything. Post about it here on mfp and ask for help, strength, support, encouragement, whatever you need from your mfpals. This will accomplish a number of things:

1) It will remove the secrecy and keep everything in the open.
    2) It will help you make a MINDFUL decision in the moment about your potential food or exercise choice -- should I buy this muffin? should I skip my planned workout?
    3) It will allow your mfpals to know where you are and support you. Trust me, as you've seen from the number of responses to your post, this rings true for lots of us.

Becoming healthier and losing weight is about more than just choosing the right foods and exercising. It's about being HONEST with ourselves about WHY we eat what we eat, when we eat, what our triggers are, and why we are making choices to benefit or undermine ourselves.