lose belly fat

Options
I'm 4'11 and 110 pounds but have a big belly of fat, is it possible to lose 10lbs in 4 weeks for my cousin's wedding? i rarely exercise since I don't have alot of time to do so , should I cut down my calories to under 900 a day?

Replies

• pplastics
    pplastics Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    It is not recommended that anyone go below 1200 calories per day. Going below that number can cause serious health problems.
  • miss_rye_
    miss_rye_ Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    If you start a lifting routine and some HiiT, I bet you could lose some of that belly fat. (Or fat in general). My waist and arms are the last to lose, however, they do flatten some. Belly fat is a lot of diet, but gym time helps too.

Not eating does not get us the results we want. Also, by dropping that low, you might see the scale drop in some numbers, but you will not see your body change too dramatically (in the time amount you mentioned)
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    You
    Cannot
    Spot
    Reduce
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'11 and 110 pounds but have a big belly of fat, is it possible to lose 10lbs in 4 weeks for my cousin's wedding? i rarely exercise since I don't have alot of time to do so , should I cut down my calories to under 900 a day?

When you have less weight to lose, your body have fewer reserves. This mean weight loss can be fat+muscle unless you do something to minimize it. Moderate deficit, lots of protein, and strength training will help you lose (mostly) fat. 10 pounds in 4 weeks is like asking for muscle loss.

Strength training also helps with inches.....which are every bit as good as pounds anyway.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    No
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    It is not recommended that anyone go below 1200 calories per day. Going below that number can cause serious health problems.
    ^ This
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    You
    Cannot
    Spot
    Reduce
    ^ And also this..no matter how much we wish this weren't the case
  • fitnessmom92
    Options
    Losing 10 lbs in 4 weeks is not realistic. A drop below 1200 calories a day can hurt your health. Have you ever heard the saying "abs are made in the kitchen" ?? The best way to lose belly fat is to limit your sugar intake. Also, look at your macros. Increase your protein intake and make sure you're eating good fats. Avocados have a lot of fat in them, but that's ok because it's good fat. Butter is not a good fat.
  • christinazaia
    christinazaia Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Losing 10 lbs in 4 weeks is not realistic. A drop below 1200 calories a day can hurt your health. Have you ever heard the saying "abs are made in the kitchen" ?? The best way to lose belly fat is to limit your sugar intake. Also, look at your macros. Increase your protein intake and make sure you're eating good fats. Avocados have a lot of fat in them, but that's ok because it's good fat. Butter is not a good fat.

I strongly agree....its not realistic...
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I would agree that it's not realistic. So, 2 things: 1. Figure out what you're going to wear to the wedding and invest in good undergarments (Spanx or the like); and 2. go read this post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?page=1

And then read that post again. It takes a few times through to really take it all in. And follow it. It works. I can tell you this first hand.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Nope, not a good idea.

Try a sensible deficit and hitting the weights MIGHT help shave an inch or two.

I'll probably get a mouthful for suggesting this but I have used a wrap (universal contour wrap) to get into a dress for a wedding - the results from these are totally temporary but it did work for the purpose I needed it to.

Spanxs is a great idea too.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    You
    Cannot
    Spot
    Reduce

Totally not true! Liposuction is all about spot reducing.

For the OP: You can't choose where your body loses fat from. Most people would find it very difficult to lose 10 pounds in a month when they're already at the weight their body wants them to be. You absolutely CAN find time to work out - no one is totally active every waking minute. You'd have to make it a priority.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Nope, not a good idea.

Try a sensible deficit and hitting the weights MIGHT help shave an inch or two.

I'll probably get a mouthful for suggesting this but I have used a wrap (universal contour wrap) to get into a dress for a wedding - the results from these are totally temporary but it did work for the purpose I needed it to.

Spanxs is a great idea too.
    Actually, a wrap is a good trick. So we'll get crap together. :wink:

OP, those wraps can be expensive, but they do work. HOWEVER: they are just a bandaid. A beauty trick, nothing more. The effects only last 24-48 hours. Know that. No matter what the sales people try to tell you about "regular use", DO NOT buy in. It's BS--they're trying to sell stuff. But, a single wrap treatment might help you shave off a few inches just for that event. And spanx. And then, really look at that link I posted. It's awesome information from a very reputable source.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Lose weight sensibly

Buy spanx
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I am your height and hold my weight in my belly also.
    Clean eating and exercise.
    Sorry, but you Need to exercise. No time? Its an excuse

You can find 30 minutes in a day if it means enough to you.

like others, don't cut calories that low, even at our size.

Do the best you can in the month and enjoy the wedding.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,566 Member
    Options
    Your weight for your height looks good. Do you actually have a big belly or do you only think you have from looking down? Doing that always will make your tummy to appear bigger than it is. Do you have a lower back lordosis? This might also make the tummy appear bigger than it is as you're bending your lower section forward. Another option: lack of muscles. If you're lacking strong core muscles your intestines will not fully stay in their place :)

What I would do: accept that you cannot lose any fat where you want to lose it. Do proper core exercises to strengthen your lower back and abs. If you've not trained those muscles previously you will get some results quickly.
  • barbaradetz
    barbaradetz Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You should avoid ALL drinks with carbonation and eat a low carb diet. Focus on protein and vegetables; the fiber will help you to move food through your digestive tract efficiently. Losing 10 pounds in four weeks is possible, but is really pushing it. Generally a healthy weight loss rate is two pounds per week. If you just walk a half hour a day you will find that you will have energy and your body will drop the weight you want to lose in time.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You should avoid ALL drinks with carbonation and eat a low carb diet. Focus on protein and vegetables; the fiber will help you to move food through your digestive tract efficiently. Losing 10 pounds in four weeks is possible, but is really pushing it. Generally a healthy weight loss rate is two pounds per week. If you just walk a half hour a day you will find that you will have energy and your body will drop the weight you want to lose in time.

Let's math.............

OP is looking for 2.5 pound loss for 4 weeks. That's a 8,750 calorie deficit every week (2.5 x 3,500). Divide this by 7 and she needs a daily deficit of 1,250 calories.

At 4'11" female 110 pounds (let's assume 25 years old) her TDEE is 1,985 calories....this is with daily (intense) exercise. 1985 less 1,250 = 735.

If she can manage daily (intense) exercise on 735 calories....she can lose 2.5 pounds a week. Now, eating 735 calories a day for a month is incredibly unhealthy. She will not be eating enough for proper nutrition. Her body will be using lean muscle mass for fuel. This is more than "pushing" it....it's down right dangerous.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Let's math.............

OP is looking for 2.5 pound loss for 4 weeks. That's a 8,750 calorie deficit every week (2.5 x 3,500). Divide this by 7 and she needs a daily deficit of 1,250 calories.

At 4'11" female 110 pounds (let's assume 25 years old) her TDEE is 1,985 calories....this is with daily (intense) exercise. 1985 less 1,250 = 735.

If she can manage daily (intense) exercise on 735 calories....she can lose 2.5 pounds a week. Now, eating 735 calories a day for a month is incredibly unhealthy. She will not be eating enough for proper nutrition. Her body will be using lean muscle mass for fuel. This is more than "pushing" it....it's down right dangerous.
    Thanks for doing this.

I'm a big fan of eating right, but yes, then there's MATH.
  • mabernier
    mabernier Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    To lose belly fat, incorporate monounsaturated fatty acids into your diet..... nuts, avocadoes, olive oil, dark chocolate. Part of the "Flat Belly Diet" program and they work to release the fat in your belly.