Coconut oil

Options
124»

Replies

• zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    zipa78 wrote: »
    I'm using coconut grease (during winter, it is not a liquid oil over here) as a lubricant for massage. Works great for that, doesn't smell, doesn't go rancid, doesn't irritate people.

It works great as a lubricant for other things, too. I forgot about that use! :)

Well... Yes. I don't know what I would have done with those squeaky hinges on our our fridge if it were not for coconut oil.

Coz that's what you had in mind, right..? ;-)
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    Argan Oil, too. I follow a lot of beauty blogs and whatnot, and one has to be really careful not to fall prey to the hype and a seemingly highly contagious magical thinking... if one doesn't want to go broke on magic beans and snake oil, that is. "Natural" and "ancient" and "secret wrinkle-fighting remedy of the Timbuktu's native people" as selling points are pretty good red flags.

Oooh, yeah, argan oil is another one. I travelled through Morocco a few years ago, and the argan oil sales pitch is a thing of wonder to observe. According to the people selling it, it is the nearest thing to magic elixer. Snake oil has been around in many forms for a very long time. :)
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I'm using coconut grease (during winter, it is not a liquid oil over here) as a lubricant for massage. Works great for that, doesn't smell, doesn't go rancid, doesn't irritate people.

It works great as a lubricant for other things, too. I forgot about that use! :)

Well... Yes. I don't know what I would have done with those squeaky hinges on our our fridge if it were not for coconut oil.

Coz that's what you had in mind, right..? ;-)

Riiiight. ;)
  • Mrscanmore
    Mrscanmore Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    How do you use it in your hair? Do you put it on in the shower and rinse off like conditioner?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Mrscanmore wrote: »
    How do you use it in your hair? Do you put it on in the shower and rinse off like conditioner?

I use it as a pre shampoo deep conditioner. I mix it with some other ingredients and oils and soak my hair in it the night before I wash it.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Use it to fry my protein daily. Tried adding it to my coffee but could not get past the oily texture but that was before i had a blender so may try again soon.
  • laurasuzie3
    laurasuzie3 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I use it as a face moisturizer at night. It hydrates your skin and gets rid of acne.
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    For those of us with cholesterol issues like me, it ain't a FAD THING! B) Coconut oil is great for you in moderation. Add it to all my kale smoothies. <3 Haven't tried it in coffee, prefer coconut milk for that. :D
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Ok, coconut oil in coffee is awesome!

The secret is an immersion blender. I do 16-24oz coffee in a tall cup/mug/thermos, add 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream (cause I keto), 1/4 cut coconut milk (less carbs than dairy milk but can use dairy milk), 1tbsp coconut oil, 1 tbsp quality butter and mix it well with the immersion blender. It comes out very well mixed, not oily at all, frothy and delicious. Its about 340 calories, low in carbs, high in fats. With a cheese stick is often my breakfast of choice.

Its not like you randomly decide to put oil in your coffee and drink the oily sludge down. There's an art to it. but its well worth the effort!