If you were a soda drinker,

Options
13»

Replies

• JLeeAlton
    Options
    I stopped drinking soda, Pepsi, in 1995. How I stopped... well I got in the car one day.. one very hot day.. took a swig of pepsi and it was sooooo nasty and hott. Since that day I never drank a soda again. however.. probably once every 3 months I will have a few sips of Coke and that is enough for me. But because of that day i would never even sip a Pepsi again. All I drink now is Water, Milk, and Hot Tea =)
  • mrsfloisand
    mrsfloisand Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I simply just stopped! It sucked but I knew I needed to. I had tons of people saying I couldn't do it so it made me want to quit it even more to prove them wrong. Almost one year later, soda free... Can't wait til January to say its been one whole year without it and show everyone that they shouldn't judge others:noway: , but at the same time its good because they motivated me to do it:happy:
  • lilac01
    lilac01 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I can't stop drinking coke!!! It just tastes so good! Sometimes I drink it like 5 times a day!
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I started getting migraines from diet soda and don't want the calories of regular, so I've given it up and only have it on special occasions. I'm more of a coffee/tea drinker anyways.:-) Has anyone bought one of those machines that can add carbonation to any beverage? I think they look neat, but am wondering if they're worth the money and if stuff usually turns out the way you anticipate?

Shannon
  • flsunshine
    flsunshine Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    i quit drinking reg soda a little over 1 year ago. i generally have 2 diets in the morning since i dont like the taste of coffee. having a reg soda now and then isnt bad for you. its call moderation and most people dont get that perpective.
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I can't even imagine being addicted to Dr Pepper, the first time I tried it I thought it tasted like carbonated prune juice. Let's just say I have traumatic memories of having to drink prune juice as a little girl.

Soda wasn't hard for me to give up actually. I've never been a heavy drinker of the carbonated elixir and with my continually filling up my water glass and drinking water I have no room for extra liquids.
  • rmkorama
    rmkorama Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    My major reasons for giving up soda:

1. Have you noticed how expensive soda is?! I have trouble justifying that in my food budget.

2. Hubby can't handle caffeine or carbonation very well.

Basically, we decided to cut caffeine out of our lives together, and that took care of most pop I like to drink. I can't stand the taste of diet sodas, ANY diet sodas. I don't care what anyone says, they all taste terrible to me and I'm unwilling to "acclimate" to something that I think tastes awful. (Nor am I willing to spend money on it.)

I phased it out, and just stopped buying it all that often. I still treat myself occasionally, though. Have you ever tried soda with real sugar? I can get Coca-Cola with real sugar at our supermarket, and it is so much better than the stuff with HFCS. I'm not a big fan of Jones sodas, but Goose Island makes soda with sugar and it is really, really good. I'm not making any statements about the relative health merits of sugar versus HFCS, just noting that soda made with sugar tastes so much better. But that's a special treat that we don't do often, kinda like pizza. I'll buy some maaaaybe once every couple months, and since I can buy single bottles in the refrigerated section, I don't buy four and have them lying around. I buy one, and that's it.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    My major reasons for giving up soda:

1. Have you noticed how expensive soda is?! I have trouble justifying that in my food budget.

Interesting statement there. With things being tight for us this year we stopped finding the importance of buying the stuff.
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    I stopped drinking sodas because they were to expensive and I was retaining a lot of water weight while drinking them. Not to mention I would also depend on the caffiene till I realized they were not doing me and good period.
  • MarilynMarie
    Options
    Regular or diet?
    Go from regular to diet then to juice then water
  • curleeqsue
    Options
    I was never a soda drinker until I went on vacation with a friend who was. After that vacation, I couldn't stop drinking soda and drank it for three years straight.
    I am going to run a 1/2 marithon in April and since I was doing all this running, I thought that the soda thing is making me lumpy around my middle and that the soda was counter productive.
    I stopped drinking it and at first, I thought about soda allot. Then I realized I was thinking about it less and less and now I don't even want a taste.
    I think and this is just my thought, no scientific proof or anything but I think the sugars in the soda trigger a chemical reaction that make us crave the stuff. The sugars for me anyway were a quick boost of energy but then the crash came and I had to drink another soda and before I knew it, I found myself drinking four to five soda's a day and on bad days even more.
    Good luck and hope you have a great new year.
  • StPattysGrl
    Options
    I'm also very addicted to Coca-cola. I would drink one, two, sometimes three a day. I hated diet soda. Bleh.

However, just because I craved that caffiene and carbonation I started drinking diet soda's with cherry flavoring. That has seemed to satisfied me. I usually drink Diet Pepsi Wild Cherry or Dr. Pepper Cherry.

It gives me the caffiene and carbonation... and a little of the sweetness I crave.

I do still allow myself one regular coke a week.

Good luck!!
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I am a soda drinker. I do diet... right now its diet caffeine free but I will be going to coke zero. I am trying to cut down before I cut it out. Soda in the evenings actually helps me keep my food cravings and hunger at bay in the evenings so until my diet is stable and under control soda is not going away for me. I just won't drink anything other than diet.

Good luck!
  • kericarey
    Options
    Switch to diet when you get that craving. I am a dr. pepper drinker and I've made a vow to my son to be healthy for him. I've cut out the Dr. Pepper and switched to Diet Coke plus Vitamins and minerals. Its not the same, but does the trick.