How long 'til people noticed?

Options
I've lost 12 lbs. and I can definitely tell. My clothes are looser and my belly's not so droopy. No one else has said anything, though. In their defense, the people I know see me every day and it's taken me 45 days to lose 12 lbs., so it's coming off slowly. I'm not looking for the kudos because I'm doing this for me, not for anyone else. Still...how long did it take before people in your lives started to notice you were getting smaller?

Replies

• EmilyPersephone
    Options
    My weight has fluctuated a ton over the years so my close friends have yet to notice or say anything about my recent weight loss and muscle gain, but my mother (who sees me every day) has mentioned that she noticed some of my tops looking more loose and my face/jaw looking slimmer.

I read a quote that said it takes 4 weeks for you to notice your body changing, 8 weeks for your friends and family to notice, and 12 weeks for the rest of the world to notice.
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I've lost 15lbs so far, but was told by my mother that it looked like I gained weight and when I told her that I lost 15lbs she didn't believe it. I take it with a grain of salt. I know myself and I can now wear size 20 pants instead of 22-24s. It definitely will take 8 solid weeks of fat-loss before my family notices.

Since you're losing it slowly it's going to take longer to notice. I know I'm going to have to lose about 50lbs before my family notices. :) Do it for yourself and don't worry about comments. I would like comments too, but I am enjoying my inner conversation and self-satisfaction that I'm the only one that knows. :bigsmile: It's almost like my dirty little secret. :wink: :laugh:
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    People noticed after about 30 lbs.

21525558.png
  • AceCC86
    Options
    People started noticing when I got to 25 pounds lost.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    About 30 pounds for me.
  • firebloom
    firebloom Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I've lost 17 kg (About 37 lbs) and still no one has said anything :(
  • okolo
    okolo Posts: 24
    Options
    I started getting the "you look skinny" comments after 15-20 lbs. At 20lbs - I definitely got it from everyone I knew.
    Also went from a size 12 to a size 6 with a 24lbs loss (strange - as they say it's about 10lbs per size drop). Hate Vanity Sizing anyone?

They'll start talking pretty soon though. Congrats BTW :)
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    A lot of people notice, but a lot are reluctant to say anything. No worries this is about you, not them.
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    The first person noticed at about 25 pounds. She was particularly health conscious. Others did not seem to notice anything until about 40 pounds.

I actually looked fatter for a while as I lost weight. I lost weight in my hips, thighs, and arms, but not in my belly. So as my waist got smaller but my belly stayed fat, my stomach actually hung over my belt more than before. So it looked like I was getting fatter even as I was getting thinner.
  • brewinggirl_butskinnier
    Options
    About 12 lbs...BUT...

There is this guy I work with (Bob). He notices *everything*. Last time I lost weight (after my son) he was the first one to notice. This time he noticed the minute I switched to a smaller size (literally, that DAY).

So I think it was 2 things...he is very observant (or he looks at my body a lot) or it was the fact that I put on a smaller pair of pants?

I think when you're swimming in your clothes, it's hard to tell but when you go to a new size it's more obvious. I do know someone else mentioned it to me the other day (and asked me if I lost a lot more weight than I have) so people are noticing....I think sometimes they're scared to mention it? (reference other threads to the effect of "I don't like comments").
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Other than my doctors, the only person who has noticed & said something to me (without me bragging about how much I've lost, which I've only done in person to 3 people) was my ex's mother, and that happened at about 40 lb.

Not even the gym staff, who see me every day (and look at my fat face photo when they check me in) said anything 'til I showed up in my "I've lost 50 lb" shirt one day. Then the desk guy looked impressed. :bigsmile:
    20140831Krysta225ccropped_zpsdc4fe12c.jpg
    It's going to be updated as I keep on losing.
    I think there's room for my planned loss (110), and even 120, before it gets hard to read.
    It says the same on the back.

Here's at 258
    20140421Krysta258_zps5e31ce01.jpg
    And 225
    20140831Krysta225a_zps8c9e703f.jpg
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    I am down 25 so far & my husband feels the difference when he hugs me, but no real comments otherwise. I have also gone from a size 22 to a very comfortable 18 or snug 16. But, to be fair, I am a nurse & scrubs aren't particularly form flattering!
  • marquishagetaka
    Options
    When I was bulking around a month, a few questions were asked.
    When I cut it took a lot longer.
  • hilaria81
    hilaria81 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've been getting a lot of comments - from husband (who had been commenting for months anyway), family members, co-workers, a friend - since hitting about 35 pounds lost. Plus, some clothing items are getting so loose as to be actually uncomfortable. I sometimes have to change out of them and into smaller ones because they drive me up a wall.
  • bonneycc
    bonneycc Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It took me about 30 days and 12 lbs before my coworkers said anything and then it seems as if everyone said something. I must admit that it feels good.
  • Adpalangi
    Adpalangi Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how long before people noticed, I didn't pay attention and thought, why can't I see it. I didn't see it till I went from a size nine into a two of dress pants and jeans. My jeans had been been slipping down to my hips showing my underwear. So the compliments still came in. For several months, especially when I wore new clothes. But....now they are each I telling me to stop loosing because I look sickly and my face is showing it, that it's aging my face yes my face has lost the chubby cheeks, or something cause I can see that too and I don't want to loose there. I took a good look to see exactly what had changed and what had not, as I've been loosing I have barely seen the tape measure go shorter. Anyway I told everyone that I am just maintaining and eating healthy. I am very close in weight for what I had hoped for, but my stomach is not where I want to be either, so I am going for 5 more lbs.s. My waist finally had a loss in some inches, but according to my ideal measurement of my waist I need to loose 5 inches. That's a lot in my eyes esp since I am carrying most all of my weight above my waist in the stomach area. And below my waist is flab. Keep in mind, I'm 49 yrs old and only 5 ft tall, those last 5 lbs. And less 5inched are gonna be hard, I think.
    Just wanted to prepare you for when it happens to you, compliments are nice but hearing from people saying to stop loosing and the aged face thing doesn't feel real well. But I'm doing what I want and don't care what others think, I'm not following this journey for them, its about me.
  • GoGoGirl1111
    GoGoGirl1111 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    12 lbs is a good loss: Maybe also it's the cloths you wear still: Buy something new and get a different hair style, they will notice :)
    Well done :
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    No one's noticed or said anything yet.

Kidding:tongue: For me it varied from as little as 3 months to 1 year.
  • Aishteru85
    Aishteru85 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    People started noticing when I lost more than 35 pounds..
  • crystalblair2355
    crystalblair2355 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    A lot of people notice, but a lot are reluctant to say anything. No worries this is about you, not them.

THIS!!