I already have a mommy and don't need MFP to be it!

Options
Based on your total calories consumed today, you are likely not eating enough

If I want to adjust my calories down for health, disability reasons I will and I resent this nanny state comment appearing every time I do:

For safe weight loss, the National Institutes of Health recommends no less than 1000-1200 calories for women and 1200-1500 calories for men.

Even during weight loss, it's important to meet your body's basic nutrient and energy needs. Over time, not eating enough can lead to nutrient deficiencies, unpleasant side effects & other serious health problems.

To safely meet your goals:
Focus on consuming nutrient-rich foods and beverages
Check your progress in MyFitnessPal throughout the day
Add nutritious snacks between meals as needed

Replies

• JoMoMOMx3
    Options
    its just trying to encourage you (everyone) to lose weight in a healthy way. MFP isnt trying to be anyones mommy. just like any other post or information on this site, its only a suggestion. take what you want from it.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    If you have legitimately been placed on a diet by a doctor that is below the 1000 mark, you're very much the exception to the rule.

That warning is there so that people aren't being encouraged to continue with disordered eating because the message saying that they could weigh like 20lbs less in 5 weeks would be pretty triggering for just about anyone struggling with or learning towards disordered eating.

Quite frankly, unless it refers you to the link with advice for eating disorders, you probably shouldn't be so offended.

Editting to add that even it uses phrases like "likely not eating enough" which recognizes that there are exceptions.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Oh I haven't seen this topic yet this week or anything.

giphy.gif
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,082 Member
    Options
    I don't quite understand the angst over this message.
    It seems quite reasonable to me.

It is qualified by ' you may not' not 'you definitely are not' and it also qualifies with 'over time' such and such can happen - so anybody eating low now and then and not over time can ignore it and anyone who is doing a VLCD under medical supervision can ignore it.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i had a doctor put me on an 800 calorie per day diet. as it turned out, my doctor didn't know *BLEEP* about nutrition.
    If you have legitimately been placed on a diet by a doctor that is below the 1000 mark, you're very much the exception to the rule.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    "Bull****" and "resent" seem awfully strong words for a message that wasn't tailored for you, and appears automatically for everyone. Go eat a cheeseburger, you're obviously cranky. :flowerforyou:
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    i had a doctor put me on an 800 calorie per day diet. as it turned out, my doctor didn't know *BLEEP* about nutrition.

Most doctors don't. Next time you visit one, ask him/her how much schooling in nutrition/dietetics they were required to complete for their degree. It would be hilarious, how little it is, if it weren't so awful.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I refuse to use the phone app. I tried it once and the messages were so stupid.
  • jbse26
    jbse26 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Not this again.:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: get over yourself.It's a free app, if you don't like it don't use it.
  • kmsnyg
    kmsnyg Posts: 100 Member
    Options

Most doctors don't. Next time you visit one, ask him/her how much schooling in nutrition/dietetics they were required to complete for their degree. It would be hilarious, how little it is, if it weren't so awful.

I had about eight weeks in four years of med school. That being said, the folks who go into areas where they deal with the comorbidities associated with excess weight (cards, endo) probably learn additional stuff during residency/fellowship.

To add to that, most doctors have never been overweight a day in their life, and have no idea how to help someone lose weight. I was the only obese one in my class. So it wouldn't surprise me if they weren't up on how to safely help someone lose weight.

If you want medical help, better off seeing a registered dietitian.
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I just came here to say that hearing MFP equated with "nanny state" cracked me right the f*** up. :laugh:
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Based on your total calories consumed today, you are likely not eating enough

This is bull****. If I want to adjust my calories down for health, disability reasons I will and I resent this nanny state comment appearing every time I do:

For safe weight loss, the National Institutes of Health recommends no less than 1000-1200 calories for women and 1200-1500 calories for men.

Even during weight loss, it's important to meet your body's basic nutrient and energy needs. Over time, not eating enough can lead to nutrient deficiencies, unpleasant side effects & other serious health problems.

To safely meet your goals:
    Focus on consuming nutrient-rich foods and beverages
    Check your progress in MyFitnessPal throughout the day
    Add nutritious snacks between meals as needed
    So your complaining that MFP is telling you what you are doing could damage your health long term. Hmmm. If you disagree ignore it but MFP are covering themselves I'm sure if they didn't post that someone else would complain that MFP were encouraging EDs. MFP is a free to use you are not forced to use it. If you do use it though you have to except that MFP may point out certain things that could be good for your health such as eating enough food
  • dedflwrs
    dedflwrs Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    There should be a law so that they will stop doing that. Maybe you should go to whitehouse.gov to start a petition. Also, throw a tantrum, sue and ask for your money back.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    You don't have to use this site. Problem solved.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    You have three choices:
    Don't complete your diary. Then it won't come up.
    Ignore it and not get so annoyed.
    Quit MFP.
  • DataSeven
    DataSeven Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it's done for liability reasons... in case someone comes down with malnutrition or something, they can't blame MFP for not making them aware when they're eating less than 1200 calories.
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    There should be a law so that they will stop doing that. Maybe you should go to whitehouse.gov to start a petition. Also, throw a tantrum, sue and ask for your money back.

LMFAO:laugh: :laugh:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdg9LcQGL7KYxhxn4VUozf-v5s88MI_J_Bgw2HQErMh-_jBHgpfQ
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    it's an automated message. take it easy..