Keto diet

Options

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,963 Member
    Options
    I will reiterate what others have said. Water and electrolytes. Salt, potassium, magnesium, and etc. This will help. Your body is readjusting what it burns for fuel. Getting in to ketosis can take two weeks for some people, so stay the course. I was able to get into ketosis by doing 20g and under. Yes, make sure you are getting enough calories and fat.

I've been doing this since June 1st and have lost 44lbs. That's 106 days of low-carb. Pretty sure that isn't just water weight. And I'm not losing muscle as I exercise 5 days a week with no trouble. I would call that successful. People can keep saying that it's "just water weight" and "you're only losing muscle" all they want. They are still wrong.

I have no trouble sustaining this way of eating, and I have a sustainable maintenance plan waiting that increases my carb intake just a bit and increases calories a bit as well. In fact, I kind of dread maintenance since I really like the way I eat now. Very happy with it and don't want to change. But eventually I will reach my goal, and do what I have to. Can't keep losing forever.

Try the electrolyte biz. Butter broth with cream works for me. I tend to add some potassium salt to it as well. As a matter of fact, I'll be having it as a snack in a little while.

Best of luck on your new way of eating, OP. :smile:
  • BastetJenn
    Options
    All the reading I have done on Keto indicates that it's usually between 50 and 20 grams of carbs a day.

If you are just starting out, 10 is REALLY low. May want to increase your intake just a touch. And to reiterate what others have said.... mind your salt intake and make sure you are drinking enough water.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,963 Member
    Options
    All the reading I have done on Keto indicates that it's usually between 50 and 20 grams of carbs a day.

If you are just starting out, 10 is REALLY low. May want to increase your intake just a touch. And to reiterate what others have said.... mind your salt intake and make sure you are drinking enough water.

I tried keto on less than 10g/day and quit. Cuz....ummm...vegetables! I didn't lose on 10 either. But at 20-30g, I lose pretty steadily.
  • PatchEFog
    PatchEFog Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    You want to know what's ideal for weight loss? Caloric deficit. It doesn't have to be Keto. It does not have some magical properties like you may think. Another good idea would be for people to actually research things before they do them because if the OP would have she/he would know that under 10g of carbs is unnecessary and pretty dumb.
    It doesn't have to be reduced calorie and having hunger either. I know you make it your crusade and life's work to constantly dump on keto people and threads but how about you give it a freaking rest? It isn't supportive and it isn't accurate. Since you don't know about keto and have obviously never bothered to try it, spewing your nonsense in every keto thread is simply non-helpful and confusing to those who are following that plan.
    There really is no reason to go on a keto diet. It won't help you lose more fat,
    In a ketogenic diet you use fat as energy instead of glucose so you burn your own fat for energy. Calories do matter, but they aren't everything. There is also a considerable edge to satiety on a keto diet that you do not get from a low fat and especially a calorie reduced diet, despite your misinformation and maligning.
  • PatchEFog
    PatchEFog Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm not against keto. I'm against I'll informed information being put out.
    You don't want to believe it, that's fine, but others do believe the studies and have seen first hand that they drop MORE weight while on a keto diet. I do a keto restricted calorie diet. As stated previously and on many occasions now, calories do matter but they are not everything.
    I've never promoted low fat diets so try again. You seem to think you know how I eat and what I think others should do. Your advice is pretty comical at best.
    I didn't say you were promoting a low fat diet. I gave it as an example. Who the hell knows what you promote since all we ever see is what you try to tear down (keto)?
    THAT is comical that you're so ignorant and then try to turn every single person away from it who states their doing keto.
    If you weren't against keto, you would at least be supportive of the person's chosen plan. I don't personally go looking for NON-keto people in an attempt to malign their choices based upon their own study and what is right for them, but you do this on a near daily basis. Why? God only knows, but it sure as hell isn't helpful.

Just because you have to think in a linear fashion doesn't mean the rest of us have to, especially since it obviously works for us. Go take your cookie cutter someplace else because we don't all fit your mold for us either.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Seems the logical thing would be to do some research of side effects before one radically (and arbitrarily) throws their body completely out of whack.

kermit-the-frog-but-that-s-none-of-my-business.gif
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    tagged for later
  • SimplyCuteaful
    Options
    On a side note, power to those who can do these Keto diets. I know I personally cannot or I would never have the energy required in the workouts I do. Before someone comes and bashes me...let me top that last sentence off with, at least that's how my body reacts. Not all!
  • Actually, I did prove my point, not yours. You say that me going off Keto means it wasnt sustainable for me. It actually is. It was me just reverting to old bad habits, but I hardly need to justify myself to you. I have proven to myself that everything that is said about Keto and weight loss is true. It is simply the smartest and most effective way to lose weight. Others like me who have actually spent a period of time eating this way know it too. You havent tried it as you are addicted to saturated fat and sugar - basically you want to keep eating your heart attack on a plate but just in small enough amounts to slowly get some weight off. That's really smart. You believe it's fine to eat ice cream and bread all day as long as you "log it". How funny. I don't think anyone here needs to take any advice from you. If you want to keep feeding yourself all of your sugary food and high fat food and carbs go ahead, why are you arguing with everyone else about what they find works for them? Maybe start up a "Glucogenic Diet" 'Heart Attack Diet" thread and go to town in there?
  • I just realised too - over 6000 posts and you've only lost 14lbs? As for your post count, I think you might need to step away from the computer and get some exercise. And furthermore, unless you've lost that 14 lbs very recently, I think you need to stop trying to shoot everyone else down and start doing a little more research.

Just saying, I mean, you are the one judging everyone based on their profile etc, just thought I'd return the favour.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you're aware, but there's a wonderful feature called the ignore button :wink:
    click on user name>>click ignore>>ahhhh....now isn't that better?
  • Not unstainable at all, people lives are not black and white in the real world. Unlike the world you live in which seems to be little more than typing away on this forum.

My old bad habits involved carbs and not watching calories - a bad habit that saw me gain around 93 pounds and keep it on for ten years. I have proven to myself that restricting food is very very hard when you base your diet around carbohydrates as they lead to intense hunger and cravings for more carbs. Not a smart way to try to live. You're in a constant state of hunger and feeling deprived. I managed every now and then to lose some, but it was always a struggle as I had no idea how easy and effective it was to lose weight via Keto. Due to my hunger and frustration the weight always came back. It was not due to hunger or frustration that it came back this time. Proved to myself that Keto works, and proved to myself that not cutting carbs puts the weight on. Proved my own point really. Nice try as you say. Eating carbs, rather low carb, or keto is unsustainable as it leads to weight gain, hunger and cravings.

Again, like many others have said, Keto is the best most effective way to lose weight.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I may actually look into Keto. I have PCOS, and though I've been sticking to my nutritionists recommendation of low-carb, I may take it one step further just to spite this guy that thinks he knows it all! :) OP, only 10g of carbs does sound a little drastic of a cut, and science knows I love my breads and rice and pastas! I will definitely google some research before I make a decision, but the meat head making the rude comments leading to insult the WHOLE ENTIRETY OF MFP WHO LOGS THEIR FOOD AND EXERCISE (No I don't need a F**** "good job" it's to know what I'm burning, Dip S***) needs to seriously step away from the steroids and stay out of OPs business if all he's bringing to the table is negativity!

:D I love posting on MFP. I didn't think drama happened here!
  • darkmoonmage26
    Options
    Getting back on topic I agree with others OP that 10g of carbs a day is too little. I don't know what your starting weight and data is but get your macros checked in the Keto calculator. I actually do a severe deficit myself but that's at 15g of carbs a day, sometimes I go over, sometimes I'm under but it's all ballpark really (so long as you stay around 20). I just recently started and you really need to do some more research on this diet, it's more than a calorie deficit (that's important too but you don't have to worry about calories for the first couple of weeks) it's a diet that should come with some medical intervention. Go to your doctor and have them check your blood levels, in particular sodium, potassium, and magnesium (if anyone else has a suggestion on what to check please pipe in). You can get really sick on Keto if you're not making sure you're getting the supplements you need, personally I take a multivitamin, a magnesium supplement, and a potassium supplement (I know what I'm lacking, make sure to know what you're taking ahead of time, too much potassium is a big deal). Up your calories and carbs OP and you should be fine, make sure you're tracking your intake and levels in your food diary.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I just realised too - over 6000 posts and you've only lost 14lbs? As for your post count, I think you might need to step away from the computer and get some exercise. And furthermore, unless you've lost that 14 lbs very recently, I think you need to stop trying to shoot everyone else down and start doing a little more research.

Just saying, I mean, you are the one judging everyone based on their profile etc, just thought I'd return the favour.

What does ones weight loss have anything to do with their knowledge? The guy has abs, which takes a lot of dedication and knowledge. You have to respect that. Also, by that same token, how many overweight doctors do you know? How many of them smoke? Heck, how many people do you know who have lost 50, 100 or more weight and still not know anything about weight loss, but rather just knows how to follow a plan?

OP, if you are going to do this plan, you need to educate yourself about how to follow Keto. If you do not have that kind of knowledge, you should probably come off of it until you do.

Also for both sides of the argument:

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Not unstainable at all, people lives are not black and white in the real world. Unlike the world you live in which seems to be little more than typing away on this forum.

My old bad habits involved carbs and not watching calories - a bad habit that saw me gain around 93 pounds and keep it on for ten years. I have proven to myself that restricting food is very very hard when you base your diet around carbohydrates as they lead to intense hunger and cravings for more carbs. Not a smart way to try to live. You're in a constant state of hunger and feeling deprived. I managed every now and then to lose some, but it was always a struggle as I had no idea how easy and effective it was to lose weight via Keto. Due to my hunger and frustration the weight always came back. It was not due to hunger or frustration that it came back this time. Proved to myself that Keto works, and proved to myself that not cutting carbs puts the weight on. Proved my own point really. Nice try as you say. Eating carbs, rather low carb, or keto is unsustainable as it leads to weight gain, hunger and cravings.

Again, like many others have said, Keto is the best most effective way to lose weight.

Blanket statements like this are the reason so many arguments start. Holding protein levels stable, there is no science to support this.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I just realised too - over 6000 posts and you've only lost 14lbs? As for your post count, I think you might need to step away from the computer and get some exercise. And furthermore, unless you've lost that 14 lbs very recently, I think you need to stop trying to shoot everyone else down and start doing a little more research.

What does ones weight loss have anything to do with their knowledge? The guy has abs, which takes a lot of dedication and knowledge. You have to respect that. Also, by that same token, how many overweight doctors do you know? How many of them smoke? Heck, how many people do you know who have lost 50, 100 or more weight and still not know anything about weight loss, but rather just knows how to follow a plan?

OP, if you are going to do this plan, you need to educate yourself about how to follow Keto. If you do not have that kind of knowledge, you should probably come off of it until you do.

Also for both sides of the argument:

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

Exactly unless someone has lost their weight following the Keto diet, it does not make them knowledgeable about a keto diet.

People can be a bit one dimensional and believe that because they have succeeded going a certain route, that there is no other equal or more healthy and beneficial path (as we are all different, we all fine success using different tools).

OP, the carb flu can take anything from 1 day to 2 week to get through. Once it's gone you will see the benefits.

Good luck!