Weighing yourself

Options

Replies

• 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I typically weigh daily -- but I can do so because I understand and am comfortable with the changes in numbers, and know that often when I get a new lowest weight, it'll be followed by 2-3 days of slightly higher. I like it as an indication of how much water I'm retaining from specific foods, sodium, or from a specific workout.

Right now, I'm away for work and haven't weighed myself in 8 days, and it hasn't actually bugged me that much that I can't. I'm tracking my eating, I'm more active than usual since I don't have my car, and I know that I've been really happy with what I've been doing. I've been hitting my macros better than at home actually since I'm only cooking for me, and not my SO too.

So hopefully, at the end of my three weeks, I'll see the 3-4lb loss I'm hoping to -- my goal right now is to lose 1.2lbs a week, but weight loss isn't totally linear.
  • xixshaiyaxix
    xixshaiyaxix Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Right now I way in daily and sometimes at different times of the day, I have never owned a scale and got one about a month ago, ever since I am obsessed with weighing myself. I need to start doing it just weekly. I only record my weight weekly on MFP, I need to start weighing myself only on that same day to record it on MFP.
  • maddyk91
    maddyk91 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately daily....but it just leads to me being annoyed. I dont recommend it! :wink:
  • rayonrainbows
    rayonrainbows Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    fortunately i don't own a scale, or i would probably be weighing myself daily. as is, i just weigh myself whenever i happen to bike past the one farmacy in town with a scale if they're open (ends up being once every couple weeks)......

it's taking my weight at varying times of the day and sporadically, which helps me. that way i don't take the numbers too seriously. i'm just hoping for downward trends here..

i've been taking my measurements once a week or so. usually the measurements are just a half inch lost here and a quarter inch there, but a downward trend in measurements is way more satisfying/important to me than the number on the scale...
  • thin4me59
    Options
    I log daily, but only weigh once per week on Saturday morning. Weekends are my downfall (will power is at its weakest) so I have found that if I weigh on Saturday and have good results, it keeps me strong through the weekend!:happy:
  • carolineat111
    carolineat111 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I used to weight daily and now it's every week or so.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily but only log when a pound is lost. I have noticed that in between those recording times, my weight tends to go up 2 to 3 pounds until the next time it is a pound less. So there is a daily fluctuation that I come to expect. If I go several days fluttering around the same numbers and not having lost weight, I know I need to figure out what is wrong. Has worked for me so far.

Time of day is important too. I measure first thing in the morning every day. If I weight myself again before bed, I am usually several pounds heavier on that same day!
  • abbeyjones1994
    abbeyjones1994 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Every Monday morning before breakfast. I feel like it keeps me more accountable on the weekends if I think, "you have a weigh-in in 1 or 2 days, maybe (x) isn't the best thing to be eating!"
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and track my exponentially smoothed moving average. John Walker explains how and why to do this in the chapter on "Signal and Noise" in his free ebook "The Hacker's Diet" (http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/e4/).

I find that it inures me to the inevitable daily fluctuations, while giving me useful information on the progress that I'm making.

However, if seeing a bigger number one day than the previous day will make you freak out, you shouldn't do it. The caveat, though, is that even if you weigh only once a week, you might see a bigger number one day simply because you ate a lot of salty food the previous day, or even the day before. I'd rather see daily fluctuations for what they are than be freaked out by a weekly fluctuation.
  • no_russian
    no_russian Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh myself daily because it helped me fine tune my weight loss strategy. Now that I know exactly what works for me, I do it every 7-10 days.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself almost daily. It was hard, at first, but over time, you SEE your weight fluctuating and find your pattern and learn to know what's normal and what isn't. A lot of people can't handle weighing daily because of the normal weight fluctuations. I find it's helpful in gaining a better understanding of the process.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself weekly, first thing in the morning with no clothes on. :smile:
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Daily, every morning before I eat or drink. The fluctuations are there, but so is the trend. It's working well so far.
  • NoMoreBlameGame
    NoMoreBlameGame Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Well...I'm supposed to weigh once a week (I chose Fridays). That being said, I step on that damn thing at least 4 times a day. Why? I have no idea...it's not like it's going to drop pounds in a couple hours. Well...once it did, but that's because there was a sock stuck underneath a corner of it and it threw it off.
  • IrisFlute
    IrisFlute Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I don't own a scale, so I only weigh when I'm at my friend's house. Usually about once a week. I'm glad I don't have a scale; it helps keep me from compulsive checking. I haven't taken any measurements; I let the way my clothing fits be my size indicator.
  • carhughes
    carhughes Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily, but only record my weight weekly (every Saturday). I have been taking measurements every 2 weeks. :smile:
  • Hungry_Annie
    Hungry_Annie Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    It varies. I'll go through phases of weighing daily, other times I'll do it once a week. No set time.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, but I don't recommend it for everybody. Sometimes the normal daily fluctuations can be upsetting.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Oh me and my scale get it on daily!
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    How often does everyone weigh in? Daily? Weekly? Every few days?

I used to weigh weekly. I am changing it to monthly for the first time today.