My Success story, and advice for weight loss

Options

Replies

• Goddesskat
    Goddesskat Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Boy did I need to see this today or what? Yepper, I still haven't changed some things in my eating and that's why I'm still slipping and sliding around. I just have to talk to myself more and stop beating myself up if I slip. Just get right back on it and carry on. My biggest thing is that I miss logging on my fitness pal daily as other things get in the way of my logging. I feel that if I logged in more regularily, I would see what I'm eating better and be more apt to make that shift. Well, it's a process and I will just continue to do it to the best of my ability. Being addicted to food is the worst addiction one can have. The additives that are put in for people to want more of the garbage I buy. The quickness of getting it so I can get out the door to go to work. Lifestyle changes are more difficult the more times one has to start over again. Trust me, I'm starting this again for the third time. I did good in my thirties and then again in my forties. My 50s were a right off of emotional eating and now my 60's I'm struggling again to get back down. So, thanks for the inspiration today young lady. I will take these words to heart and carry on. :smile:
  • Cactusedd
    Cactusedd Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    OP, thank you for outlining this so neatly and honestly! Absolutely agreed:flowerforyou:
  • cmabnx
    cmabnx Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    OP, thanks for sharing this story and your success. SUCH an inspiration.
  • ash10ton
    ash10ton Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Its called PORTION CONTROLL PEOPLE
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I have eaten basically the way you suggest (not quite as stringently - I do like to bake) for the last 30 years and gained 40 lbs. doing so. Portion control works for me.

Congratulations - I am glad it worked for you.
  • RET68
    RET68 Posts: 88
    Options
    I pretty much agree with the OP. But, I will say that eating organic healthy foods can make you fat. Fat can make you fat. I live on a farm. 90% (at least) of the fruit an vegetables I eat are organic home-grown. Most of the meat I eat is wild game or home raised chickens.

I still got fat. These homegrown foods are delicious and healthy, but they still have calories.

Or maybe it was the beer and wine.
    or maybe...:laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • mswoodsy
    mswoodsy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    So in before this goes bad.....lol!!

I heart Junk food ( I learned moderation so haven't eliminated anything from my diet ;-)

I haven't stopped eating anything either. So I guess the 31lbs I've lost aren't real. Boohoo.

Ok, hopefully i can respond to this without it turning into a big thing.
    Obviously you lost 31lbs, how much of that is pure body fat, who knows....

let me break it down for you this way;

unfortunately most of us on here are or have been overweight. and we all know that different things work for different people. yes, you can eat junk food and lose weight. you can also starve yourself or take pills to lose weight. that doesn't make you HEALTHY.

lets say we have a bunch of people, all the same age/height/ideal weight who are all equally active. we split those people into two groups. One group eats only raw and natural foods. the other eats processed foods and swaps out some of their veggies for chips, water for pop, or yogurt for ice cream on a daily basis.

after a year we check on these people...
    you seriously dont think you'd see a difference in those two groups? in muscle tone, body fat %? in their skin, hair, nails, teeth? in their arteries, bones, hearts, eyes, kidneys? in their blood pressure, blood sugar, digestive system? you dont think either group would be at a higher risk of heart attack, stroke, diabetes, etc...? even just a small difference?

ok now go 2 years, you dont think everything would continue to get worse? and worse every year after that....?

and if you don't care about any of these things then youre on this site to be skinny, NOT HEALTHY. there is a huge difference.

seriously feel free to debate, i wont get offended! these are honest questions, i am in no way a professional...

With no other information than what you provided, I think it could go either way. Raw and natural doesn't guarantee balance. And, other lifestyle choices would be important. Exercise and stress management also very important to health.

all excellent points. i tried to make it pretty simple on purpose so everyone could understand it easily lol i did say they're all equally active but i certainly agree with stress management playing a big roll. For the sake of THIS specific debate; lets say instead of two groups its just two individuals who are basically the exact same person (habits and all) with the exception of how they eat....

honestly there is probably no black and white answer. everyones different. i just personally think that the one who eats healthier would, in turn, be healthier.

In trying to make it simple, you created a false dichotomy. Eating all raw and natural doesn't guarantee that you'll hit your macros and micros properly. Eating processed foods and having treats every day does not mean you are unable to hit your macros and micros properly. And frankly, very few people fit completely into either one of those groups.

Eating a salad isn't going to make you healthier if the rest of your diet is unbalanced. Eating a serving of ice cream after a day full of meat, veggies, and fruit isn't going to make you unhealthy. Everyone finds their own method of moderation. You obviously choose frequency, and if that works for you, great. Other people may choose quantity, and if that works for them, great.

The other issue is that you talk about physical differences as a standard for health that are impacted by factors that go well beyond diet. Eating healthy foods doesn't guarantee muscle definition and low body fat - that is a result of calorie intake and exercise. Heart rate will be impacted by activity level. Blood pressure can be impacted by diet as well as genetics. Blood sugar/insulin can be impacted by family history, age, ethnic background, stress levels, and a host of other factors including diet. Those are just a few examples. As you said, there is no black and white answer, so declaring that there are certain rules that everyone absolutely has to follow in order to be healthy (no junk food, etc) is not seeing the forest for the trees.

Referring to the entire last paragraph; reread what I wrote. EXACT SAME PERSON meaning genetics, activity, stress management etc... I've in fact stated that they're equally active multiple times now. So to make this easier for you we'll say it is the same person, just two different lifestyles they could choose. BOTH DIETS ARE BALANCED. One simply swaps good, nature intended, food with processed "junk". Which would lead them down a healthier path?
    What you seem to be doing is reading my OPINION (which I've also said many times) and reacting to it instead of really considering it, and debating. Please dont take a single word i say personally.
    And sometimes when genetics lead you to certain diseases doctors will recommend proper diet to keep it under control. Maybe certain peoples genetics are screwed up from generations of abuse through unhealthy diet...? Again, just a theory, no proof. And for the record, macros mean nothing to me or what i posted and are a totally bias opinion in this debate.

I'm not saying its the ONLY choice either. Its the BETTER one. Really, reread it. I'm not trying to be rude...

And I do agree that natural doesn't equal balanced. I'm just suggesting that in the long run it would be healthier. if, as you said, you can maintain balance.

Let's aaaaaall take a deep breath before we reply lol
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options

Eat Whole Real Natural food. Grow up put your big girl/boy pants on. Eat vegetables. You may hate it at first. But your tastes WILL change. You have to heal your unhealthy relationship with food.

This is so true! I was kind of surprised/horrified that I actually crave healthy meals now...but I really do. My taste has changed because getting rid of junk food makes me feel sooo much better...and even slimy green veggies seem awesome if you feel good! :)
  • maryneedschange
    Options
    Thank you I'm just beginning but all that you say it very true!
  • mswoodsy
    mswoodsy Posts: 91 Member
    Options

As you said, there is no black and white answer, so declaring that there are certain rules that everyone absolutely has to follow in order to be healthy (no junk food, etc) is not seeing the forest for the trees.

Again, just want to push that I never said or even implied this. I just think its the healthier option, not the only. Reactions like this are how fights start in these threads. Calm down, reread it, I've actually tried to be very respectful of everyone's opinions. And just because I'm debating this side doesn't mean I'm correct, I know that.

You seem in fantastic shape, and I would never just tell you you're doing it wrong. I don't even do that with 16 year olds who weigh 90lbs, think they're fat, and eat 500 cal a day. Please please please don't ever take anything some silly stranger on the internet tells you personally.

Sorry, I just don't want to take someone's (wonderful!!!!) Success story and turn it into a stupid nasty fight lol I might not even reply after this because it already feels a wee bit tense... You can always message me.

So congrats to the OP! Job well done!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    So in before this goes bad.....lol!!

I heart Junk food ( I learned moderation so haven't eliminated anything from my diet ;-)

I haven't stopped eating anything either. So I guess the 31lbs I've lost aren't real. Boohoo.

Ok, hopefully i can respond to this without it turning into a big thing.
    Obviously you lost 31lbs, how much of that is pure body fat, who knows....

let me break it down for you this way;

unfortunately most of us on here are or have been overweight. and we all know that different things work for different people. yes, you can eat junk food and lose weight. you can also starve yourself or take pills to lose weight. that doesn't make you HEALTHY.

lets say we have a bunch of people, all the same age/height/ideal weight who are all equally active. we split those people into two groups. One group eats only raw and natural foods. the other eats processed foods and swaps out some of their veggies for chips, water for pop, or yogurt for ice cream on a daily basis.

after a year we check on these people...
    you seriously dont think you'd see a difference in those two groups? in muscle tone, body fat %? in their skin, hair, nails, teeth? in their arteries, bones, hearts, eyes, kidneys? in their blood pressure, blood sugar, digestive system? you dont think either group would be at a higher risk of heart attack, stroke, diabetes, etc...? even just a small difference?

ok now go 2 years, you dont think everything would continue to get worse? and worse every year after that....?

and if you don't care about any of these things then youre on this site to be skinny, NOT HEALTHY. there is a huge difference.

seriously feel free to debate, i wont get offended! these are honest questions, i am in no way a professional...

With no other information than what you provided, I think it could go either way. Raw and natural doesn't guarantee balance. And, other lifestyle choices would be important. Exercise and stress management also very important to health.

all excellent points. i tried to make it pretty simple on purpose so everyone could understand it easily lol i did say they're all equally active but i certainly agree with stress management playing a big roll. For the sake of THIS specific debate; lets say instead of two groups its just two individuals who are basically the exact same person (habits and all) with the exception of how they eat....

honestly there is probably no black and white answer. everyones different. i just personally think that the one who eats healthier would, in turn, be healthier.

In trying to make it simple, you created a false dichotomy. Eating all raw and natural doesn't guarantee that you'll hit your macros and micros properly. Eating processed foods and having treats every day does not mean you are unable to hit your macros and micros properly. And frankly, very few people fit completely into either one of those groups.

Eating a salad isn't going to make you healthier if the rest of your diet is unbalanced. Eating a serving of ice cream after a day full of meat, veggies, and fruit isn't going to make you unhealthy. Everyone finds their own method of moderation. You obviously choose frequency, and if that works for you, great. Other people may choose quantity, and if that works for them, great.

The other issue is that you talk about physical differences as a standard for health that are impacted by factors that go well beyond diet. Eating healthy foods doesn't guarantee muscle definition and low body fat - that is a result of calorie intake and exercise. Heart rate will be impacted by activity level. Blood pressure can be impacted by diet as well as genetics. Blood sugar/insulin can be impacted by family history, age, ethnic background, stress levels, and a host of other factors including diet. Those are just a few examples. As you said, there is no black and white answer, so declaring that there are certain rules that everyone absolutely has to follow in order to be healthy (no junk food, etc) is not seeing the forest for the trees.

Referring to the entire last paragraph; reread what I wrote. EXACT SAME PERSON meaning genetics, activity, stress management etc... I've in fact stated that they're equally active multiple times now. So to make this easier for you we'll say it is the same person, just two different lifestyles they could choose. BOTH DIETS ARE BALANCED. One simply swaps good, nature intended, food with processed "junk". Which would lead them down a healthier path?
    What you seem to be doing is reading my OPINION (which I've also said many times) and reacting to it instead of really considering it, and debating. Please dont take a single word i say personally.
    And sometimes when genetics lead you to certain diseases doctors will recommend proper diet to keep it under control. Maybe certain peoples genetics are screwed up from generations of abuse through unhealthy diet...? Again, just a theory, no proof. And for the record, macros mean nothing to me or what i posted and are a totally bias opinion in this debate.

I'm not saying its the ONLY choice either. Its the BETTER one. Really, reread it. I'm not trying to be rude...

And I do agree that natural doesn't equal balanced. I'm just suggesting that in the long run it would be healthier. if, as you said, you can maintain balance.

Let's aaaaaall take a deep breath before we reply lol

*Deep breath* I get what you are saying. Both of you. And, everything else being equal, I believe a person that eats ONLY natural foods would have a better chance of remaining healthy than someone that eats ONLY junk food. Better chance. Not guarantee.

But, all things being equal AND both people getting the proper amount and type of exercise AND eating a balanced diet, I'm not sure there is any reason to believe that the person eating only natural foods would be healthier than the person eating only processed foods.

It's very hard to have a balanced diet without eating some natural foods. It's not hard to eat a balanced diet without eating ONLY natural foods.
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Options
    I pretty much agree with the OP. But, I will say that eating organic healthy foods can make you fat. Fat can make you fat. I live on a farm. 90% (at least) of the fruit an vegetables I eat are organic home-grown. Most of the meat I eat is wild game or home raised chickens.

I still got fat. These homegrown foods are delicious and healthy, but they still have calories.

Or maybe it was the beer and wine.
    Or perhapse grains?

OP, you don't eat any grains?

Nope No Grains.
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Options
    Boy did I need to see this today or what? Yepper, I still haven't changed some things in my eating and that's why I'm still slipping and sliding around. I just have to talk to myself more and stop beating myself up if I slip. Just get right back on it and carry on. My biggest thing is that I miss logging on my fitness pal daily as other things get in the way of my logging. I feel that if I logged in more regularily, I would see what I'm eating better and be more apt to make that shift. Well, it's a process and I will just continue to do it to the best of my ability. Being addicted to food is the worst addiction one can have. The additives that are put in for people to want more of the garbage I buy. The quickness of getting it so I can get out the door to go to work. Lifestyle changes are more difficult the more times one has to start over again. Trust me, I'm starting this again for the third time. I did good in my thirties and then again in my forties. My 50s were a right off of emotional eating and now my 60's I'm struggling again to get back down. So, thanks for the inspiration today young lady. I will take these words to heart and carry on. :smile:

Thank you for posting. We all have struggles. I hope you can get on track. :flowerforyou:
  • Neonbeige
    Neonbeige Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    What I really don´t get here is the fact that people feel the need to tell other people how it should be done - or better how it has to be done.

Can´t we just agree that there is more than one way to skin a cat (eeeew!)?

This isn´t religion, there is no need to convince other people. One can give suggestions, advise, show own success and let the others decide for themselves without pointing fingers at them.

If people get sad without being able to treat themselves sometimes (every day, like me e.g.), then who am I to judge, or you? This is about supporting each other and not showing off how much better you are than others or the weight you lost is better than the others because you lost it in a proper way.

"Ewwwwww, you eat junk, pah."
    "Gnarf, you only eat rabbit food, bah! "

Are we in kindergarten?

I totally respect what the OP achieved! But this is not everybodys way of doing it. Nor is moderation everyones way of being able to go on.

We should use the way that keeps us happy and sane. And if one way doesn´t work, just try another one.

Howgh!
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Options
    Like I said at the beginning, I'm not going to argue. I just posted this for anyone who wants to know what I feel is the reason for my success. I also said take it or leave it. No comment necessary if you are leaving it. LOL :)

Thanks ya'll for your encouraging words!
  • Princesserickaj
    Options
    thanks for keeping it real
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    OP, I think its great that you found what worked for you. Congratulations on your weight loss.

However, I don't want everyone to think that is the only way to lose weight. If I followed your advice I would have lasted about a week. I would have quit and I would have gained more weight and been heavier than I was two years ago when I started because your way of losing weight is way too restrictive for me. Counting calories and not eliminating any type of food worked for me. I've maintained my weight loss for two years and, after I started weight training, I'm the strongest and healthiest I've ever been.

You look amazing and you should be completely proud of your accomplishments.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Yeah, yeah, whatever. Did the all natural raw vegan thing years ago. Was no magic bullet, let me tell you.

That's not to say people should not eat healthy. You just don't have to sacrifice it all, as the OP suggests.

It's too easy to fall for the "all or nothing" mentality, either way.
  • anycarino
    Options
    <3 Love this.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!