I work out with my boyfriend

Options
My boyfriend and I have a gym membership together. We usually go together right before he goes to work, which is right after I get out of class. We only have about 40 min span of time at the gym. Anyways we usually spend 15 min on the treadmill (averaging 4.0 mph-4.5mph.) Anyways, he likes to run the last few minutes, and I just DON'T do running. My knee usually hurts really bad afterwards (Yes, I've had it checked out. Turns out I have something called Osgood-Schlatter disease.) ANYWAYS. After our treadmill use, we leave the cardio room and head to the weights. Since he's usually out of breath from all of the running we sit out for a few minutes until his heart rate is lower and then we hit the weight room. One weight room has machines that we can both use, the other weight room has more heavy lifting manly stuff that I'm scared of trying lol. Sometimes we go into the first room and I'm happy with that because we both work out so I'm not wasting my time at the gym. But sometimes we go into the second room & I just stand there and watch him lift heavy and I'm his spotter to make sure he doesn't drop the weights and hurt himself. I mean I'm all for helping him, but it kills me that we spend 40 min at the gym and I only work out for 15 min of that time. Any advice? Should I, maybe, stay close by and still work out? Or show up later in the day for my own workout? I don't know, help me please.

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    learn to squat, deadlift, bench press, pull up same as him.

and if your bf doesnt squat and deadlift then i :cry: for you because cus boys need back too :laugh:
  • ashleearoha
    ashleearoha Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Stop holding yourself back and saying you can't do "manly stuff". Surely there are free weights in there that you utilize, start out small and work your way up. Your boyfriend would be happy to help you out. Work a set each and spot each other. You both will work out then and you won't be upset you aren't getting enough gym time.

I don't believe that the room would be solely for massively strong guys. And if you just cant bring yourself to use that equipment, bring a mat in and do some other body weight exercises, abdominal exercises or do plyo exercises like squat jumps, box jumps etc...there really isn't an excuse for standing there doing nothing. Its a gym!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I am confused. Why are you not working out with him? Or, of you do not want to do what he is doing, then let him find another spotter and do your own thing. I get that he may be lifting heavier weights - but there is no reason he cannot use your working sets as warm up sets - or just work in other lifts.

And btw...the free weights room is not 'manly' - it just happens to be populated by primarily guys - for a number of reasons, one of which I think you have highlighted in your post.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Use the free weights, you'll get more benefit from them than machines. As Osgood-Schlatter is a condition that subsides fairly quickly learning good technique will aid in your recovery, and means that you'll be able to increase the intensity of your treadmill warm up.

That said, Id be concerned that your boyfriend seems to need to take a break after a light warm up, that suggests an underlying issue around his fitness. As you're only talking about a slow walk with a brief period of running he should be able to go straight into resistance training from that.

All that said, 40 minutes isn't a particularly long time, as you're doing a 15 minute warm up you're only getting 25 minutes of resistance training in. It's probably worth looking at how your sessions are structured to get more from them. Dedicated resistance and CV days would seem most obvious immediately.
  • mereditheve
    mereditheve Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Anyways we usually spend 15 min on the treadmill (averaging 4.0 mph-4.5mph.)
    If that's all you're doing, why bother going to the gym? Go for long walks outside at a brisk pace instead.
    One weight room has machines that we can both use, the other weight room has more heavy lifting manly stuff that I'm scared of trying lol.
    What do you mean heavy lifting manly stuff? Bench press? You can do that! Dumbbells? You can do that too! Conquer your fear. Start with a weight that challenges you, but doesn't completely overwhelm you. Soon enough, you'll be talking smack to your boyfriend and he'll be posting on here about how his girlfriend now dominates their 45 minute workouts. :)
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I think it's great that you have company at the gym, but I can feel your frustration and can see how you're being held back.

15 minutes walking a treadmill - I'd replace this with a 30 minute walk at some other point in the day. Save your limited gym time for making the most of the equipment.

Don't spot your boyfriend in the room you don't like to work out in! Go and use the equipment you want to use.

OR swot up on Stronglifts 5x5 - read about the benefits of weight-lifting for women and start using that room yourself.

Finally, I'd seriously suggest that you make your gym session longer. Stay after your boyfriend has had to leave.
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym with my boyfriend, but it's pretty rare that we work out together because we have different goals. Usually, we end up lifting the same body part on the same day, but don't lift together unless we're on a cable machine and can easily switch out the weights. If we do legs on the same day, I try to use the equipment he's on after he's finished so I don't need to wait around for it.
    We still get to spend time together, but get our own workouts in. I like to think it's a pretty good arrangement.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    You should either also lift, or go do something else. You don't have to spend every second at the gym together. It's not a date.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Um... find your own things to do? Lift your own weights? :huh: :noway:
    Not really seeing the problem here.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavier weights in the weight room is not manly.

My fiance just started going to the gym with me this week coincidentally. I can lift a lot more than he can (for now). It's fun.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    you know you can like workout without him....

btw heavy weights are not for men, they're for anyone who wants to lift them
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy isn't just man stuff, it's woman stuff too. You both should try doing the strong lift 5x5 program, I'm doing it with my significant other right now and she's loving it.
  • thismamarox
    thismamarox Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I go with my BF also and I lift just like he does. Sometimes it can be intimidating at first, but watch what he is doing, and mimic it using smaller weights. Its amazing how much girls can lift. We are not the delicate flowers that society has us made out to be. You are doing yourself a HUGE disservice by not lifting with him!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    What is "manly" about being physically strong enough through resistance training to live a healthy and full life?

Is picking up a 20# iron pan manly? Is digging a hole and tilling a garden manly? Is being able to push, pull, or lift something that you need to a manly endeavor?

No.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Lift those weights girl... nothing manly about them. Take turns and let him spot you and observe your form.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    At my gym, even the "heavier, manly" weights section has smaller weights. I lift as heavy as I can, but sometimes that still means slightly lighter weights and I go to the "man" section of my gym all the time. (There are usually women in there, so "man" is in quotes, of course.)

Just pick up some of the lighter weights that aren't so heavy you can't lift them or ruin your form.
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights will not make you manly! Get him to teach you and then you can alternate between sets and spot each other.

<- not manly
  • BabyWeight710
    Options
    The worst thing you can do is stand and watch him while he works out!!!! My boyfriend would be annoyed beyond belief in two seconds haha. Lift with him!!! Let him help you and show you the way. Being strong is the best feeling ever for a girl. There are some things that my boyfriend does that I don't even try, but I go off and do my own thing when that happens. In fact, we will be at the gym and hardly speak sometimes lol.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    *Anyway

And, yes, develop that independence. Both lift at the same time, just do different things. Like someone already said, it's doubtful that you'll both be doing the same exercises or the same amount of weight. Don't exercise for only 15 minutes; exercise for 40.