C25K Starting Tomorrow (Dec- 27- 2010 Monday)

Options

Replies

• taxford
    taxford Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    W2D2 done this morning...
    Walking pace: 3 1/2 mph
    Joggin pace: 6 mph

Will be trying to incorporate some kind of yoga routine or something with little leg impact on days off.
  • Dhathri
    Dhathri Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I was little down this whole day being at home and was feeling lethargic. But finally after cleaning and cooking dinner, I decided I will not miss it and went to gym. Today I did much better in my second week. On monday I was holding the handles in between but today I did pretty well.

Walk @ 3.5mph
    Jog @ 4.5mph
  • MaryChaCha
    MaryChaCha Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Day 2 Week 1 C25K...my leg muscles were a bit weak today, but I kept going.

I did yoga yesterday, and that helped me to stretch out a bit. I'm taking the advice of Nannykb and not being stressed about the speed of my runs. I'm just happy to be running!

Have a healthy and strong day!

Mary
  • cldaughe
    cldaughe Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I attempted the C25K a couple months ago. When I began my first day, I started getting terrible pains in the front of my calves/shins about 1/4 of the way through the program. I stretched really well before starting, I was not going that fast (maybe the pace of a fast walk), and it felt like someone put their hand inside my shins and began ripping my muscles away.

I have tried to fight through the pain on several occasions and was told that the pain is from the calf muscles separating from the bone (or something about shin splints). I really, truly, sincerely want to get to the point where I can comfortably run a 5K, but my body just does not want anything to do with it.

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated :)

Okay I know these all too well. The reason you are getting pain in the front of your shins is because you are developing Shins splints. You need to get you an insole that has some arch in them. Also you need to stretch your front shins by pointing your toes like a ballet dancer and rotate left and right. Most of shin splints are from no arch support in you shoes. Happy running!

Thanks for the info! I know I need to get a new pair of tennis shoes (I love my Mizunos!) and I will look into getting some support in them. Does anyone have any recommendations for arch supports? Can I get something basic like "Dr. Scholl's" or do I need something on a more professional grade?
  • VWBuggin1963
    Options
    Planning on Week 2 day 2 tomorrow.
    The business travel took a little more out of me than I expected and only got one day in this past week.
  • Dhathri
    Options
    Planning on Week 2 day 2 tomorrow.
    The business travel took a little more out of me than I expected and only got one day in this past week.

Thats the spirit. Keep going. :)
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I shifted my days this week, and I don't particularly care for it, but I worked late on Monday and laziness got the best of me. I will go back to Monday-Wednesday-Friday next week, my week 3.

W2 D1 went well. I actually walked out of the gym feeling like a million bucks. :)

Walking: 3.5mph
    Running: 6.5mph

Did W2 D2 today. I cranked the intensity a little to push myself.. I'll probably keep this pace on Saturday as well, but I'm not sure how much higher I will go until my body adjusts more.

Walking: 3.5mph
    Running: 7mph

I always thoroughly stretch before and after a workout.. I typically drink a recovery protein drink within 30 minutes. On my "off" days, I do yoga to keep myself flexible and some ab work. I have a set of kettle bells.. One of these days I'll start using them.

Making it a point to post on this thread is a great motivator.. It feels great to stick to a routine! -- So far, anyway. Classes kick back into high gear on the 18th, and between full-time work and full-time school with clinicals, I will have to find some way to efficiently juggle working out and studying.
  • MaryChaCha
    MaryChaCha Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Off day...yoga and some weights...I don't feel as tight as my first off day.

Have a great and healthy day.
    Mary
  • 4pence
    4pence Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I started the C25K about November, I got to Week 5 day 2 (run 8 mins, rest 5, run 8) without any problems, but then on day 3 of week 5 (Run 20 mins without stopping!) I had to stop after 10 minutes then just felt so demotivated I gave up. I might make my own little bridge from those 2, I swear that week 6 day 1 (Run 8, rest 5, run 8, rest 5) would be easier....

First post here by the way :)
  • nort0186
    Options
    Life has kind of gotten in the way this week, came down with a nasty a cold on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning so I haven't been doing much this week, but I'm going to attempt to finish out the week with W1 D2 tonight and W1 D3 tomorrow night or Sunday. Would like to keep progressing.
  • Dhathri
    Options
    Well done Erindipitious.
    Enjoy ur yoga Mary.
    Welcome 4pence.
    Goodluck nort0186. Keep us posted.
  • Dhathri
    Options
    Successfully completed week 2 day 3. My legs were exhausted from the previous day elliptical min new workout now. But i m glad i DID my C25K.
  • sunshine7966
    Options
    W2 D3 completed!! Run: 6, Walk: 3.8, I had no problems today and am ready for week 3.
  • Erindipitous
    Options
    Another reason for not getting off of my MWF schedule: I procrastinated until 10pm. I sleep late and lounge around on weekends when I don't have school or work obligations.. I could not get the urge to go. Finally, I did.. But very late.

Normally, I feel like I'm on top of the world when I'm doing C25K. I think it was a combination of the Advil Cold and Sinus I took (I woke up slightly congested in one nostril and popped one in case it was a cold.. But I'm pretty positive now that it's not) and being slightly dehydrated, but I was miserable through the whole thing tonight. Before, I could run 7mph and by the time I'm told to walk, I'm just starting to feel ready to walk. But tonight I would still have 30 seconds left and be like, "Oh, gosh.. Please hurry.." Prettttty sure I wasn't hydrated enough today.

I'll try out the same speeds again on Monday (7/3.5) and decide if I should go back to 6.5.

Great job to everyone who is still going strong! :)
  • Erindipitous
    Options
    I started the C25K about November, I got to Week 5 day 2 (run 8 mins, rest 5, run 8) without any problems, but then on day 3 of week 5 (Run 20 mins without stopping!) I had to stop after 10 minutes then just felt so demotivated I gave up. I might make my own little bridge from those 2, I swear that week 6 day 1 (Run 8, rest 5, run 8, rest 5) would be easier....

First post here by the way :)

Wow, yeah, I just looked at that.. How does that make any sense to throw the 10 minute intervals in there like that? I'm sure there is a reason, but I'm definitely going to have to lower my run speed for that day!
  • VWBuggin1963
    Options
    Week 2 completed
    Day 2 Week 2
    1.62 miles
    30 mins
    300 calories

Day 3 Week 2
    1.90 miles
    35 mins
    350 calories
  • nort0186
    Options
    So I finished week 1 over the weekend, but don't think I'm quite ready to move on to week 2, so I'm re-doing week 1 this week. Did week 1 day 1 again this morning. I think I'm falling in love with morning workouts. Never thought that would be the case, but it makes more sense to me to workout before work because I have way more energy and motivation to do it instead of getting home from work, rushing through dinner, trying to get anything done around the house and then squeezing in a workout before bed. I am too tempted to just climb into bed after dinner and a load of laundry after work!
  • Dhathri
    Options
    Successfully completed W3d2.

It was little struggle not to hold the treadmill support. But. I had to as my legs were tired.
  • sunshine7966
    Options
    I finished W3 D2 yesterday and today my ankles are killing me. I am going to take it easy and walk today...Tuesday, I decided to jog a mile on my off day...not a good idea. I will say that jogging a mile in 13 minutes felt amazing!! Hopefully D3 will be better.