Options
    In for Cherry picking.
  • da_bears1008
    Options
    IN
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I am a Christian, Sunday School teacher and getting my Theology degree. One of my best friends for life is an Atheist, we joke about Scripture all the time. I love this thread, especially the Atheists quoting scripture, even if it's meant to be tongue in cheek at least you know it :smile: I don't get offended when people don't believe, why should I? after all I posted my favorite scripture was "1 John 4: 8 whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love." How can I quote that and be angry about someone just not believing what I do?

Have a Blessed Day (No this is not condescending, I actually mean it :laugh: )

<3
    I like you :)

I'm not a Christian, but I don't mind certain parts of scripture. I take it in as I would any other book I read. There are parts of any book that I like and dislike. That said,

I do like the part in Corinthians about love.

BUT

I also love Odd Thomas: "..the most identifying trait of humanity is our ability to be inhumane to one another.”
    And Alice in Wonderland: “I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then.”

^^ this ......OMG! I love the Off Thomas story line! *grumbles* gotta get those back from my sister.

I have them all on my kindle. No sharing. I'm a greedy little heathen like that :laugh:
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    As the mountains surround Jerusalem, so the LORD surrounds his people both now and forevermore. Psalm 125:2 NIV
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    In for Cherry picking.

Yep, because if it doesn't support your stance, it's cherry-picked, right?
  • Jesmoko
    Jesmoko Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    How I'm picturing certain news feeds: "Burned 500 calories doing cherry picking, vigorous effort."
    Ooooh. I'm too old and tired to argue religion on the internet these days, but that was great. I like that.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I also love Odd Thomas: "..the most identifying trait of humanity is our ability to be inhumane to one another.”

I love God!!

And Dean Koontz!! :drinker:
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Pulp-Fiction-Samuel-L-Jackson.gif
    I can't quite remember it...it's on the tip of my tongue...

Isn't it something like ..

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want
    He makes me down to lie
    Through pastures green he leadeth me the silent waters by
    With bright knives he releaseth my soul
    He maketh me to hang on hooks in high places
    He converteth me to lamb cutlets
    For lo,m he hath great power and great hunger
    When cometh the day we lowly ones
    Through quiet reflection and great dedication
    Master the art of karate
    Lo, we shall rise up
    And then we'll make the bugger's eyes water.
  • ahbooker
    ahbooker Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Jeremiah 29:11

Matthew 25:14 for some of those commenting here...

So glad to have peace in knowing if I am wrong I have lost nothing, but if non believers are wrong they have lost it all.
    LOVE THIS!!!
  • Toblave
    Toblave Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    2 Samuel 11:3
    "Now when evening came David arose from his bed and walked around on the roof of the king's house, and from the roof he saw a woman bathing; and the woman was very beautiful in appearance. 3So David sent and inquired about the woman. And one said, "Is this not Bathsheba, the daughter of Eliam, the wife of Uriah the Hittite?" 4David sent messengers and took her, and when she came to him, he lay with her; and when she had purified herself from her uncleanness, she returned to her house.…"
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I am a Christian, Sunday School teacher and getting my Theology degree. One of my best friends for life is an Atheist, we joke about Scripture all the time. I love this thread, especially the Atheists quoting scripture, even if it's meant to be tongue in cheek at least you know it :smile: I don't get offended when people don't believe, why should I? after all I posted my favorite scripture was "1 John 4: 8 whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love." How can I quote that and be angry about someone just not believing what I do?

Have a Blessed Day (No this is not condescending, I actually mean it :laugh: )

Sans the Sunday School teacher thing (though I do help with the kiddos) and the Theology degree (though my youth pastor would call me the Bible Geek)... I am the same way... My fave professor in college is an Atheist and so is one of my best friends that I have known since college.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    In for Cherry picking.

Yep, because if it doesn't support your stance, it's cherry-picked, right?

Nope... taken out of context it's cherry picked... but I was saying it in general not to any particular poster or verse. :wink: :drinker:
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    How I'm picturing certain news feeds: "Burned 500 calories doing cherry picking, vigorous effort."

That burn is way too high. No one expends vigorous effort finding incongruous, misogynistic, or offensive passages in the bible.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    In for Darwin!!

Doubling down with his Noodliness.

R'Amen!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Judge Smails:

"It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and you've got the stock market beat. But the man worthwhile is the man who can smile when his shorts are too tight in the seat".
  • Toblave
    Toblave Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    2 John 1:9-11 ESV

"Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son. If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your house or give him any greeting, for whoever greets him takes part in his wicked works."
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    “Accept His Noodly Magnificence into your heart, into your soul, and ye shall forever be free. R'Amen.”
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Judge Smails:

"It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and you've got the stock market beat. But the man worthwhile is the man who can smile when his shorts are too tight in the seat".

You'll have nothing, and like it.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    "A man's got to know his limitations."
    -Dirty Harry
This discussion has been closed.