Scales say no weight gain but I look fatter?

Options
So my weight has stayed the same for the past month. Not ever going above 8 stone (really annoying!)

Yet when I look in the mirror and put my clothes on they same to fit better then they use to and my hip bones are no where near as visible as they was before.

Same with my spine/ribs. Now I have to breathe in to see them whereas before they were quite visible.

Has anyone else experienced this? Where the scales say you haven't gained a pound but you look like you have? Even family members have said I am looking better in myself. I actually have a belly now!

Or could it be I have really rubbish scales? XD

EDIT: I think everyone is mis-reading this.

I want to know if anyone else has experienced this. I am looking for replies regarding this. Thanks

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I think you should put your scale away for a while quiet honestly. Just lift- and eat.

are you lifting at all at this point??

congrats on making progress though- I know it's a struggle!
  • jpapp13
    jpapp13 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Have you tried keeping measurements vs scale weight?

I found that my weight doesn't change much but my measurements tell a different story about gains, etc.
  • Owlibee
    Owlibee Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I think you should put your scale away for a while quiet honestly. Just lift- and eat.

No offence but I am not into lifting or gaining muscle/abs ect

But thanks for your input :)
  • Owlibee
    Options
    Have you tried keeping measurements vs scale weight?

I found that my weight doesn't change much but my measurements tell a different story about gains, etc.

I have never thought about taking my measurements, is it your thighs stomach and bust line that you measure?
  • JoRocka
    Options

lifting will just help you be strong- and help support your skeleton structure- you don't need to have "abs" or get muscley.

Everyone at minimum should have a balanced fitness program which should include a cardiovascular component and a resistance training aspect.
  • Owlibee
    Options

lifting will just help you be strong- and help support your skeleton structure- you don't need to have "abs" or get muscley.

Everyone at minimum should have a balanced fitness program which should include a cardiovascular component and a resistance training aspect.

Thank you for the advice but I do not go to the gym or light weights ect. Its not something I want to ever do or include in my lifestyle. I am fit and healthy in all other aspects apart from being a little underweight.
  • meganleighhh
    meganleighhh Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you do lift you will build up a little muscle and gain a little is basically what he's trying to put out there
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    You're acknowledging that you're underweight, but you're worried about your hips bones, ribs and spinal cord "showing" through you skin? It sounds like you have a body image issue, rather than a weight issue. Have you considered seeing a professional? If you haven't gained any weight, it's unlikely your body has changed much, especially if you're not lifting.
  • Owlibee
    Options
    If you do lift you will build up a little muscle and gain a little is basically what he's trying to put out there

I do not wish to gain muscle. I only want to gain fat which so far I am trying to accomplish with my diet

I posted this to see if anyone else has experienced no change on the scales but a change in their body appearance. I think everyone is mis-reading the post.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Taking measurements while you're gaining can be very helpful, because the way you look and feel is very subjective. Your clothes can feel tighter or looser from day to day, and you can definitely trick your eyes into seeing different things in the mirror. Assuming that you take consistent measurements, in the same exact place, in the same state (i.e., flexed/unflexed), the tape measure isn't going to lie.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    You're kind of giving mixed messages here... you WANT to gain fat and get bigger. But you're concerned that you don't look as thin as you used to.

I'm thinking something is not meshing here.
  • Owlibee
    Options
    You're acknowledging that you're underweight, but you're worried about your hips bones, ribs and spinal cord "showing" through you skin? It sounds like you have a body image issue, rather than a weight issue. Have you considered seeing a professional? If you haven't gained any weight, it's unlikely your body has changed much, especially if you're not lifting.

I posted this to see if anyone else has experienced no change on the scales but a change in their body appearance. I think everyone is mis-reading the post.

I am underweight according to my doctor. So I do have a weight issue.

As mentioned numerous times I do not wish to lift. Thank you
  • Owlibee
    Options
    You're kind of giving mixed messages here... you WANT to gain fat and get bigger. But you're concerned that you don't look as thin as you used to.

I'm thinking something is not meshing here.

Where did it say I am concerned I don`t look as thin as I use to?

My goal is to GAIN weight. I HATE looking thin. I ma THRILLED I look fatter

I posted this as my body looks FATTER but the scales have not CHANGED. I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this
  • Owlibee
    Options
    Taking measurements while you're gaining can be very helpful, because the way you look and feel is very subjective. Your clothes can feel tighter or looser from day to day, and you can definitely trick your eyes into seeing different things in the mirror. Assuming that you take consistent measurements, in the same exact place, in the same state (i.e., flexed/unflexed), the tape measure isn't going to lie.

How do I take measurements? Would it be measuring my thighs hips stomach and bust? (I have never measured myself before so haven't a clue where to start)
  • JoRocka
    Options

not trying to be pushy- but just to clear things up- you can do resistance training without weights/lifting.

It sounds like you have a body image issue, rather than a weight issue.
    that's been established in other threads.
  • Owlibee
    Options

not trying to be pushy- but just to clear things up- you can do resistance training without weights/lifting.

It sounds like you have a body image issue, rather than a weight issue.
    that's been established in other threads.

I have gone to numerous doctors. All have confirmed I am UNDERWEIGHT. I do have a weight issue.
  • mrs_j_smith
    mrs_j_smith Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The scale isn't always the most accurate measurement of progress. You could measure yourself with measuring tape to track your progress.

Just a side note: everyone needs strength training/resistance training, cardio and flexibility in their routine. Strength and resistance training is especially important to maintain muscle and bone health. We lose a % of muscle mass each year (this is where the "if you don't use it, you lose it" phrase comes from). As women (and for men) it's important to strength/resistance train to maintain bone mass as well - to prevent osteoporosis. So, no one is saying you have to lift heavy or lift a LOT, it's just recommended just do some exercises to prevent other health issues from happening in the future.
  • Owlibee
    Options
    The scale isn't always the most accurate measurement of progress. You could measure yourself with measuring tape to track your progress.

Just a side note: everyone needs strength training/resistance training, cardio and flexibility in their routine. Strength and resistance training is especially important to maintain muscle and bone health. We lose a % of muscle mass each year (this is where the "if you don't use it, you lose it" phrase comes from). As women (and for men) it's important to strength/resistance train to maintain bone mass as well - to prevent osteoporosis. So, no one is saying you have to lift heavy or lift a LOT, it's just recommended just do some exercises to prevent other health issues from happening in the future.

Thank you for the advice

But everyone keeps mis-reading this question!

I only wanted to know if anyone else has experience this with the scales not changing but their body changing. I am still waiting for someone to reply to my question XD
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    So my weight has stayed the same for the past month. Not ever going above 8 stone (really annoying!)

Yet when I look in the mirror and put my clothes on they same to fit better then they use to and my hip bones are no where near as visible as they was before.

Same with my spine/ribs. Now I have to breathe in to see them whereas before they were quite visible.

Has anyone else experienced this? Where the scales say you haven't gained a pound but you look like you have? Even family members have said I am looking better in myself. I actually have a belly now!

I want to know if anyone else has experienced this. I am looking for replies regarding this. Thanks

Maybe you're knocked up.:smokin:
  • Owlibee
    Options

Maybe you're knocked up.:smokin:

I cant have children..... :/