Scales say no weight gain but I look fatter?

Options

Replies

• Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I have experienced this so I have learned to put the scale away and take measurements instead. Sometimes I have weighted more and looked better in my clothes... when I have done strength training, and I have weighted less and looked very out of shape so don't bother with the scale.

Why put the scale away?? So when you want to feel good about yourself you just suck in your stomach and measure? Then brag that you don't look at the scale but you know you have lost weight because suddenly lost 5 inches?...
  • Owlibee
    Owlibee Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Taking measurements while you're gaining can be very helpful, because the way you look and feel is very subjective. Your clothes can feel tighter or looser from day to day, and you can definitely trick your eyes into seeing different things in the mirror. Assuming that you take consistent measurements, in the same exact place, in the same state (i.e., flexed/unflexed), the tape measure isn't going to lie.

How do I take measurements? Would it be measuring my thighs hips stomach and bust? (I have never measured myself before so haven't a clue where to start)
    Here's a good general guide. For arms and thighs, measure X" down from the top of your shoulder and down from your hipbone, or X" up from your elbow or knee, whatever works best for you. The important part is to make sure you're measuring consistently in the same spot every time, or you will get very different measurements from one month to the next that won't accurately reflect what your body is doing.

Bust: Measure all the way around your bust and back on the line of your nipples.
    Waist: Measure at its narrowest point width-wise, usually just above the navel.
    Hips: Measure around the widest part of the hipbones.
    Thighs: Measure around fullest part of upper leg while standing
    Calves: Measure around fullest part.
    Upper arm: Measure around fullest part.

Thank you :) I will have to get myself a flexible tape measure. Is it best to breath in or out when measuring? Or just keep as calm as possible to avoid movement? I have seen woman measure their stomachs before and they always seem to breathe in
    I wouldn't breathe in, because I can change my waist size a LOT just by sucking in. I flex my stomach muscles a little, sort of like what you would do if someone were about to punch you in the stomach (I hope that makes sense, because it sounds majorly weird!). For me, that seems to reduce any variation, both related to breathing and related to how tight I can pull the tape measure.

I'm suggesting that you take measurements is because it's so easy to see what you want or don't want to see in the mirror, rather than what actually is there. If I know I'm trying to gain weight and have been eating more, I can easily "see" an extra 5-10 pounds on myself, but that doesn't accurately reflect the real, physical size of my body. The more good data you can collect, the less your perceptions factor into your decision making.

Thanks again :) Is there a chart that can tell me what measurements I should be or what is considered healthy? I tried looking online but its a bit confusing.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    Most likely you are building muscle

Most likely she's losing muscle. Gaining muscle but staying the same weight wouldn't make her look fatter.
  • Owlibee
    Options

Is that possible on no exercise?
  • Shock_Wave
    Options

That is yet another truly amazing logic. Shes building muscle yet not strength training in anyway shape or form.:huh:

Edit: congrats on first post...:drinker:
  • Owlibee
    Options

That is yet another truly amazing logic. Shes building muscle yet not strength training in anyway shape or form.:huh:

Edit: strong first post...

(Maybe they just assumed I strength train?)
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I'm really confused by this thread, and some of your responses OP, but will try anyway:

There are a ton of reasons you could look different and weigh the same.

1) Some scales actually have a "memory" feature. This means that even though your weight has fluctuated it won't show a loss/gain on the readout, but continue to spit out the same number. My scale does this, and I reset it by holding something heavy (usually my dog) and weighing again

2) This could very well just be water retention and/or bloating from your last meal. Happens to me all the time because I'm small and get bloated after meals.

3) You're just imagining it because you're being over-critical of your body.

On a side note, if you want to gain weight you really should be adding a healthy mix of fat and muscle. "Gaining muscle" doesn't mean what you think it does. It's actually highly unlikely that you would even see it, and you don't need to "lift" to develop some. Just my $00.02.
  • Daiako
    Options

Edit: congrats on first post...

Gaining muscle is the answer to everything it seems.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure that people are mis-reading your post as much as they might be a little confused by the need to ask the question. In general, as the density of muscle is greater than fat, any of us who has lost or gained weight in any significant amount has likely experienced moments where the gain or loss has felt different, or looked different than other times.

Having said all of that, if you are indeed underweight, a bit of resistance training, not necessarily weight training, would be a good way to add weight.

Resistance training? is that more about pushing your body against weights? Such as pushing your legs against something?

Yes, you can do body weight routines at home. There are lots of routines on YouTube that you can follow. I can empathise with you not having an interest in lifting. But including some body weight exercises. Or a Pilates style routine would definitely be beneficial to you. It helps prevent the loss of bone density as we get older. And increases core strength and flexibility.

or is it more about holding a position for a while (such as a push up)

I am open to try things which I can do at home and without having to use weights.

**Urgh! My reply is in the middle of that - sorry OP!
  • Shock_Wave
    Options

Edit: strong first post...

(Maybe they just assumed I strength train?)

I guess reading is hard.
  • sseqwnp
    sseqwnp Posts: 327 Member
    Options

This one intrigued me as well.

1. No strength training.
    2. No more bones showing through
    3. No weight gain.

It's almost certain that she has gained fat and let some muscle atrophy.

Congratulations on achieving your goals OP. Job well done.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Thanks again :) Is there a chart that can tell me what measurements I should be or what is considered healthy? I tried looking online but its a bit confusing.
    Not that I know of, because measurements are really dependent on a ton of other factors (height, build, body composition, even your personal preference, etc.). Where would you like to be? How do you want to look when you're done gaining?
  • Daiako
    Options

This one intrigued me as well.

1. No strength training.
    2. No more bones showing through
    3. No weight gain.

It's almost certain that she has gained fat and let some muscle atrophy.

Congratulations on achieving your goals OP. Job well done.

That's what I was thinking but no.

Must be muscle gain.
  • Owlibee
    Options
    Not that I know of, because measurements are really dependent on a ton of other factors (height, build, body composition, even your personal preference, etc.). Where would you like to be? How do you want to look when you're done gaining?

(If you look at the fourth picture in my profile - binkini pic) I would love to have a wider stomach/hip area and bigger thighs. As you can see in the picture my hip bones are still a bit visible and I have slim thighs.

My goal weight is 10 stone ( I am not sure what measurement I would be)

This will sound stupid but I would love to have the thighs and hips of beyonce.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

perhaps you should do some squats then.
  • Shock_Wave
    Options

(If you look at the fourth picture in my profile - binkini pic) I would love to have a wider stomach/hip area and bigger thighs. As you can see in the picture my hip bones are still a bit visible and I have slim thighs.

My goal weight is 10 stone ( I am not sure what measurement I would be)

When you learn how to alter your genetics please don't hesitate to drop me an email and do tell.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options

That doesn't sound stupid! She's amazing. You can probably find her measurements on the internet, but unless you're the same height and body composition, they won't look the same on you. That might give you some kind of a ballpark to aim for, though.

Consider this...Beyonce has a lot of lower body muscle. She doesn't necessarily look "muscular" (not in the same way that female athletes do, anyway), but her lower body is SOLID. At some point in the future, if you're comfortable, you might want to consider doing some kind of resistance training to get a body like hers.
  • Owlibee
    Options

That doesn't sound stupid! She's amazing. You can probably find her measurements on the internet, but unless you're the same height and body composition, they won't look the same on you. That might give you some kind of a ballpark to aim for, though.

Consider this...Beyonce has a lot of lower body muscle. She doesn't necessarily look "muscular" (not in the same way that female athletes do, anyway), but her lower body is SOLID. At some point in the future, if you're comfortable, you might want to consider doing some kind of resistance training to get a body like hers.

I like the sound of resistance training. I think once I have gained more weight then I can look at "toning" it. in the future
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but I'd assume if you just continue to eat at a reasonable calorie surplus. You will eventually hit your goal weight. Try and stick to following macros if you can to ensure adequate good nutrition. Adding in some body weight exercises would probably be extremely beneficial for you to help prevent against osteoporosis in later years. And increase your core strength (I'd previously commented on that as you mentioned you may be interested in it).

Walking is also a great form of cardio if it appeals to you. Good luck with your gaining goals OP.
  • Shock_Wave
    Options

You've got an email..