TMZ Ray Rice video

Options
Mustang_Susie
Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
Let's keep it clean so we can avoid "The Lock" and maybe have some intelligent discussion?

In light of the recently released video of Ray Rice punching and knocking out his then girlfriend:

Do you think a man (or woman for that matter) is ever justified in striking a partner for any reason or is it all abusive no matter what the reasoning?

Replies

• Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Didn't a similar thread just get locked?
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    Didn't a similar thread just get locked?

Probably, didn't look into it.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    I err to the side of the woman, but even a woman that size and the right sucker punch can injure a physically impressive man.

Definitely not saying it was justified in this case.

I do feel there is a point where even a vastly physically superior person is legally "justified" in protecting themselves, even if the force required to protect themselves might seem excessive.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Let's keep it clean so we can avoid "The Lock" and maybe have some intelligent discussion?

In light of the recently released video of Ray Rice punching and knocking out his then girlfriend:

Do you think a man (or woman for that matter) is ever justified in striking a partner for any reason or is it all abusive no matter what the reasoning?

My husband and I actually had a debate about this last night. Now, we've been married nearly 25 years and he's never struck me and we've had some doozy arguments.
    His side of the debate was that sometimes, women can really push things by just constantly get into a guy's face, and yell and say horrible things to the point where he loses control and hits her. His argument being that the guy shouldn't necessarily be charged with assault in this type of case because the woman pushed the guy into it.
    My side was that the woman, obviously, is being verbally abusive, and could be charged as such, but there is still no excuse for anyone to hit another person. Even if the guy pisses off the woman and she slaps him, she is still assaulting him and and should be charged.

The Ray Rice video shows a man who, for no apparent reason, punches his then-fiancee in the face and knocks her out cold, kicks her with disregard to her well being and then drags her away, despite the fact that he's obviously strong enough to carry her. The the dumb woman married him, and is now ticked off at the Ravens for firing him. Guess she's just another gold digger.
  • Return_of_the_Big_Mac
    Options
    I don't think this is a gender thing. Its a human thing. Anyone who escalates a verbal confrontation into a physical confrontation is an idiot.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    lol @ "avoiding the lock." Honey, you don't find the lock. The lock finds you.

Also, no, I don't. If you care about someone enough to marry them, you should be able to use your adult words and not hit people. This isn't kindergarten.

ETA - I just generally think people hitting other people is no good.
  • Return_of_the_Big_Mac
    Options
    As an addendum: Anyone who tries to piss off someone who can knock you out with one punch is also an idiot.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    I don't think this is a gender thing. Its a human thing. Anyone who escalates a verbal confrontation into a physical confrontation is an idiot.

So, just walk away and end it (?)
  • _John_
    Options

The Ray Rice video shows a man who, for no apparent reason, punches his then-fiancee in the face and knocks her out cold, kicks her with disregard to her well being and then drags her away, despite the fact that he's obviously strong enough to carry her. The the dumb woman married him, and is now ticked off at the Ravens for firing him. Guess she's just another gold digger.

not justifying, but it looks like before they got in a the elevator she did a little more than verbally confront him, but nothing to justify a full force punch or any other retaliation that would be classified as "assault".

And 150-175 lbs of dead weight is hard for people to move...movies make it look easy for the camera, but it ain't easy. We ain't all Sara.
  • Return_of_the_Big_Mac
    Options

So, just walk away and end it (?)

1. Don't escalate conflicts
    2. Learn to discuss issues without fighting
    3. When you realize that things aren't productive, stop arguing. Walk away.
    4. Don't hit people
    5. Def don't hit someone who can knock you out
    6. If you do stupid ****, don't try to drag the person out of the hotel
  • diespel
    diespel Posts: 700
    Options
    never, ever hit a woman (or man), child, or animal.

in an unprovoked state, think about justifiably hitting someone, you can't .

It takes a bigger person to turn and walk away
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Haa! Now his wife is mad at the media for "ruining" their marriage...or maybe she meant their income. He's clearly hit her in the head one too many times. I wish them well but I don't believe that's the first nor the last hit. Its wrong in my eyes. He should know to walk away rather then take it to the physical extreme and that goes for a woman as well.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I can't think of any valid reason to hit another person with the exceptions self defense or sport. This is usually taught to people starting at a very young age. If they still haven't learned how to manage conflict and their emotions without resorting to violence by adulthood there is a serious issue there.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    never, ever hit a woman (or man), child, or animal.

in an unprovoked state, think about justifiably hitting someone, you can't .

It takes a bigger person to turn and walk away

+1
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    That old thread was bound to get locked.
  • _John_
    Options
    I can't think of any valid reason to hit another person with the exceptions self defense or sport. This is usually taught to people starting at a very young age. If they still haven't learned how to manage conflict and their emotions without resorting to violence by adulthood there is a serious issue there.

but at what point does even a petite woman represent a threat that a physically superior man is justified to defend himself? "Legal stereotypes" would have you believe it's either a knife or a gun in their hands...
  • mccindy72
    Options

but at what point does even a petite woman represent a threat that a physically superior man is justified to defend himself? "Legal stereotypes" would have you believe it's either a knife or a gun in their hands...

It's not as if he attempted to subdue her in any way. He didn't grab her arm or push her away as she stepped toward her, he just punched her, and hard enough to knock her out. And she's not petite, so you know he clocked her one. Legal stereotypes aside, if a woman is physically assaulting a man and he defends himself, it's one thing. But that certainly is not the case here.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options

It's not as if he attempted to subdue her in any way. He didn't grab her arm or push her away as she stepped toward her, he just punched her, and hard enough to knock her out. And she's not petite, so you know he clocked her one. Legal stereotypes aside, if a woman is physically assaulting a man and he defends himself, it's one thing. But that certainly is not the case here.

What defines "physically assaulting" and "defends himself"?
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

+1

Take gender out of the equation: is a person ever justified in using excessive force against a weaker person? In my opinion, a person's "right" to defend themselves goes up to the point where they neutralize the threat. If that means a man can stop a woman from spitting on him and striking him by holding her wrists to prevent further punches, that's what is justified. If he goes beyond that, it's assault, not defense. If a weaker man attacks a stronger man, the latter (again, my own opinion) is obliged to meet the attack with just enough force to stop it.
  • mccindy72
    Options

What defines "physically assaulting" and "defends himself"?

Let's de-gender the whole thing. If one person is assaulting another (hitting him or her) and the other pushes or hits the first person to try to make him or her stop, that would be defense.