Has anyone done GOMAD? (Gallon of Milk a Day)

Options
I'm a M who is 5'11" and about 150. I'm trying to gain some weight/muscle mass after my cut, so I've been looking into GOMAD. Has anyone done this before? If so, how were the results and would you recommend it?

Replies

• _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    You'll find plenty of success stories in the Starting Strength forums.
    http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/forum.php
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Just increase your calorie intake so you're at a surplus and you will gain weight.. You do not have to drink 2400 calories worth of milk a day on top of what you're already eating. If you have trouble consuming enough food to do that you can stick to calorie dense foods like peanut butter, whole milk, butter, cheese, fruit juice, etc.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I've seen a lot of people do it and they all just sort of got fat. Instead of drinking a gallon of milk a day (which the macros are not that good) you could actually set your macros properly and combined with a solid program actually see some gains.

If you have trouble eating enough to gain add calorie dense foods.
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Dude, that *kitten* is expensive. And all the milk farts? No thanks.
  • efwolfcub
    efwolfcub Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    sounds like a great way to make yourself vomit or at the very least really constipated. fun stuff
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    You'll get fat and smell for no reason other than being lazy by not getting proper calories and macros down. Then you'll have to lose the fat and apologize to friends for smelling. Tough choice
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Haven't done it but know people who have.

If for some reason you eat like a bird then you could try it. I'd start at much lower than a gallon though. 1/4 first. See how you respond. Then adjust.

I can see why most people who do the full gallon typically add a lot of extra fat. This is a method for "hard gainers". These people habitually don't eat much or have very active jobs/life. So say this person is theoretically eating 2000cals per day and then they add 2400 cals of milk on top of that. Doubled and a bit current intake and now WELL into surplus. They could gain weight (with better muscle to fat partitioning) with a smaller surplus.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    NO
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I would recommend this diet to anyone and everyone. I did the diet for over one year and gained 50 pounds of solid muscle and lost 50 pounds of fat at the same time.

Heehee!

I love cows milk but it's designed for turning a tiny baby calf into a giant fat heffer in a very short space of time.

OP just eat 1g of lean body mass of protein per day, and make sure overall you are eating an extra 500 calories above maintenance.

If you want to begin your macro counting with the gallon of milk by all means moo.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    OMG, I would get the runs so bad. :sick: But more power to ya! :drinker:
  • cmpnaz
    cmpnaz Posts: 190
    Options
    I say you try the One Gallon in an Hour first and see if you can hold it DOWN !!!!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I'm a M who is 5'11" and about 150. I'm trying to gain some weight/muscle mass after my cut, so I've been looking into GOMAD. Has anyone done this before? If so, how were the results and would you recommend it?

have i done it? no. is it recommended by fitness professionals like Wendler and Rippetoe as a way to put on mass while lifting? yes.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    GOMAD is/was designed/endorsed for young males who were trying to put on lots of size (think late high school boys- early college).

It's perfect for hard gainers. But it IS a lot of milk.

Milk is an EXCELLENT way to fit more calories in- and if you have no adverse side affects to drinking it- by all means- drink up- but you do not NEED to do GOMAD.

I did a very very scaled down version- I never got the runs- I never smelled. - but I was only putting away 10-20 oz of milk- because my goals would have been scaled down.

It's a great way to supplement or fit more calories- it's just AN OPTION- especially if you're a hard gainer.
  • SuperVixen2B
    SuperVixen2B Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My buddy, who is affectionately referred to as "Beefcake", does this. He's a powerlifter and a fairly massive dude, mostly all muscle. He eats whatever isn't nailed down for the most part, but he works out long and hard and frequently, so every once in a while he'll start losing weight, which he doesn't want to do, so he'll start doing GOMAD. He calls it the "Cheater's Way to Gainz". I don't know much about it other than that he does it.
  • kynsie2
    kynsie2 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of fat and sugar. eewww.
    Nowadays, milking cows are given antibiotics and most are also injected with a genetically engineered form of bovine growth hormone (rBGH). A man-made or synthetic hormone used to artificially increase milk production, rBGH also increases blood levels of the insulin-growth factor 1 (IGF-1) in those who drink it. And higher levels of IGF-1 are linked to several cancers.
    The primary biologic purpose of cow’s milk is to cause growth—from a 60 pound calf to a 600 pound cow in less than 8 months. This “miracle-grow” fluid has several qualities that help accomplish this feat. Cow’s milk is 50% fat, providing 600 “growth-supporting” calories per quart.
    I would think there is a healthier way,
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I did the GOMAD diet for 3 months. It was an udder success, but I quit doing it when people started sneaking up on me while I was sleeping to tip me over.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of fat and sugar. eewww.
    Nowadays, milking cows are given antibiotics and most are also injected with a genetically engineered form of bovine growth hormone (rBGH). A man-made or synthetic hormone used to artificially increase milk production, rBGH also increases blood levels of the insulin-growth factor 1 (IGF-1) in those who drink it. And higher levels of IGF-1 are linked to several cancers.
    The primary biologic purpose of cow’s milk is to cause growth—from a 60 pound calf to a 600 pound cow in less than 8 months. This “miracle-grow” fluid has several qualities that help accomplish this feat. Cow’s milk is 50% fat, providing 600 “growth-supporting” calories per quart.
    I would think there is a healthier way,

1) Not in Europe, they aren't - growth hormone (both injected and in feeds) contravenes EU health regs.

2) There is nothing intrinsically "bad" about fat or sugar.

Also - Yes, it does grow a calf, but "finished" animals (Cows, sheep, pigs etc) are not hugely fatty, an overfat carcase wil be penalised at the abbotoir, and also, were I a beef producer (and I'm not), I'd be overjoyed with a cow who produced a finished calf in 8 months....
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    And all the milk farts? No thanks.

:laugh:
  • americangirlok
    americangirlok Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    That's expensive and I'd be sicker than a dog every day. I'm not lactose intolerant, but drinking milk is hard for me (apart from w/ like fresh cookies or cereal- and even then I usually regret it).