Apple Watch

Options
13»

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    The rule of thumb for new Apple products is to wait for 2.0 - whatever model they release in 2016 will likely be a killer product and do things none of us have thought of yet.
  • EquineSunshine
    EquineSunshine Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    But is it on the market already? Before I bought my fitbit last week, I did lots of research and I couldn't find any device that tracks steps, sleep etc AND monitors heart rate. All the forums on here seem to say this also, which is why many people have two devices. Maybe I'm missing something....

@AglaeaC - well, yeah!

Galaxy Gear Fit does all these things.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/mobile-devices/wearables/gear/SM-R3500ZKABTU

All reviews I read were that the Galaxy Gear stuff just didn't deliver much. Although I'm not sure if I read about one that had a HR monitor & movement tracker. Overall the opinion I got for reviews and a few folks I spoke to that had them was "meh".
    So if Apple can deliver one that actually delivers a good and meaningful experience, then they'll deserve the praise. Otherwise, they'll deliver a different"meh" product.

That is actually the point to me. I have never known Apple to deliver a "meh" product. They may or may not have the very first on the market of a particular technology, but they d*** sure get it right when they do make it. Think about the difference between the "first smartphone" (Blackberry) vs Apple's first iPhone. Is there any comparison? I have a feeling the Apple Watch will make the Galaxy Gear stuff look like a Blackberry.

About a year ago, I lost my Garmin HRM/GPS and was looking to replace it. I made the mistake of buying the LG version of the "fitbit" type wristbands. Hated it. Took it back. You couldn't even turn off the step counter thing and because I had paired it with Runkeeper right out of the box, it was logging all my steps in little increments throughout the day to RunKeeper and MyFitnessPal. Like I said, I took it back and started looking for something else.

For years, I had been using my phone to track my runs, cycling, etc. The only time I broke one of my iPhone screens (and I've had one since about 9 months after the first one came out) was when it fell out of the case I had strapped to my bike handlebars and I ran over it. I was constantly struggling on my runs to hold my phone and the dog leash. (I have an energetic dog). Whether it has to be paired with a phone or not, I would LOVE to have my HR on my wrist along with speed and distance. I totally don't mind having to keep my phone in my pocket or on an arm band if I could just have both hands free for the dog or bike and be able to check HR/speed/distance on my wrist. Bonus if it also controls my music!

So back to shopping for my dream fitness device last summer. I'm not going to switch phones so Android devices are not on my menu. I enjoyed the Garmin HRM/GPS but it was big/uncomfortable/ugly and had to use the chest strap which is also uncomfortable, plus it would be, guess what...$350 to buy another and all it would do was HRM and GPS...oh and time/date. Meh. Also, Garmin didn't play nice with the treadmills and ellipticals at my gym to display my heart rate.

At this point in my quest (last summer) I heard a rumor that Apple was going to come out with a watch/fitness device. Okay now we're talking. Apple will do it right. I didn't know how long it would be before it was available, but I knew they would deliver my dream device. So I bought a Polar FT80 and Bluetooth chest strap to get by until Apple got it done. The chest strap talks to the cardio equipment at the gym (and my iPhone) and the watch gives me time and HR on my wrist, but it doesn't have GPS, still uses an uncomfortable chest strap and doesn't have any of the functions the Apple Watch will have with messaging, phone, and all the other apps that will be available. Guess how much it cost to get the Polar HRM and chest strap! Yup. $300. Can it receive phone calls? No. Can I text on it? No. Does it tell me the temperature/weather? No. Does it map my run/bike ride on GPS? No. Does it use an accelerometer to determine how much I move during the day? No, but I don't care about that. Does it control my music? No. Can I check email on it? No. Can I buy stuff with it? No. Does it show when my next calendar item is? No. Can I use it to show my airline boarding pass when I go through security or to open the door to my hotel room or to remotely open the garage door or reset the thermostat at my house? No and I probably don't need that but it's still cool. Does my Polar FT80 look cool? Yeah it kinda does, but I can't change the look depending on whether I'm working out at the gym or going to dinner at a nice restaurant. Does it automatically reset the time when Daylight Savings starts and stops? NO! I have to actually set it! (just did that yesterday). So anyone who says the starting price point on the Apple Watch is unreasonable hasn't shopped for HRM's and/or GPS enabled watches. The stuff I mentioned is just the tip of the iceberg. Developers haven't even gotten started working their magic. So does the Galaxy Gear Fit REALLY do everything the Apple Watch will do?

Now the upper end (Edition) at $10K-$17K yeah, that's crazy! They've left the realm of functionality and are trying to create a status symbol like a Rolex or Tag Heuer by putting a gold case on it. Seems to me its like taking a Honda Accord and making it look like a Ferrari and expecting to sell it for a Ferrari price. There will probably be some Beyonce and Kardashian types that will buy it because they can, and maybe that's all Apple wants, but it seems silly to me. I would have liked the Rose Gold case, but would never consider paying even a tenth of what they're asking, especially for the first generation so I'll have a silver one instead of rose gold. :neutral_face: I know it would be smarter to wait for the 2nd or 3rd generation of a new tech product, but I'll have one pre-ordered by April 12th or so. :blush:

The only thing that will ruin the Apple Watch IMO is if the HRM doesn't work well without a chest strap. I agree that up until this point, no HRM has worked well without a chest strap. But I have faith in Apple that it will work...or at least they will make it right with updates...but I really think it's going to work from the start. They are marketing it not just as an extension of the iPhone, but as a fitness device, so I really have to believe that they've got that part figured out. I never would have thought the accelerometer would work as well as it does for games and all the various applications that use it but it does so I think they can do the same with the HRM.

Now the reason I came on this forum was to see what MyFitnessPal's plans were for integrating with Apple Watch. So? Will my dream fitness app work and play with my dream fitness device? Lets hear it MFP!
  • EquineSunshine
    Options
    Hehe, when I started writing that LOOOOONG post, the most recent post on this thread was September 11. While I was writing/editing JoMFrasca came on and asked the question I'd come here to ask originally and woke up the thread. :smiley:

kristinegift, I agree I would prefer a mini phone over the enormous ones they are making now. I bet it will just take a couple generations for them to get the watch untethered from the phone, unless their relationships with AT&T, Sprint, etc. prohibit it.

Jflaur71 thanks for the heads up that the Polar app syncs with MFP. I've been wishing it did but hadn't checked in a while.

athena61 and Mr_Knight, y'all are smarter than me, but I'm just too impatient.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,828 Member
    Options
    Since no one else has bothered mentioning it, also suppposedly shipping (and with better hrm reviews than android watches to date) is the Microsoft Band.

Of course when I tried ordering one a month ago.... I ended up with the Fitbit charge hr that was ACTUALLY available, in a store, for the asking (assisted by a gentle credit card swipe)

Oh well. There is always version 2 or 3 ; - )
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    My bf has the Microsoft band and other than the looks, which I actually prefer to the apple watch, it does most of what the apple watch will and it works with all varieties of smartphone, while the apple will only work with the iphone. Unfortunately it is still to big and clunky for my wrist so I am sticking to my fitbit flex because it does everything I need and I can cut up the bands and make them look like actual jewelry without making it unusable (which is why I am not upgrading to any of the new fitbits either).
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    fwhittaker wrote: »
    So.... I can't believe no one's replied to my earlier post about this. Anyone drooling over it like me? Seems so much easier than using something like a fitbit AND a heart rate monitor.

What do you all think?

If it's like the iPhone it will be broke in a week with normal use. How often do you bang your wrist on something?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    But is it on the market already?

All of the other market players have had something in the market for some time, and all of them last longer than three hours in use. None of them are dependent on carrying a phone for GPS tracking.

Essentially it's limited functionality compared to the competition, and it has p!ss poor energy performance.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    d0mcat wrote: »
    I'll be getting one for sure. Hope they make the UK price right and don't change the dollar sign for a pound one!

I'm afraid they pretty much did - the Apply Watch Sport is on pre-order through Apple Store for £299 or £339, and this is the 'budget' end of the range.
    Apple Watch is available in three collections at various prices:

Apple Watch Sport is priced at £299 inc VAT and £339 inc VAT, depending on the face size.
    Apple Watch is available from £479 inc VAT to £949 inc VAT.
    Apple Watch Edition, in 18-karat gold alloys, starts at £8,000 inc VAT.

In the US those prices are as follows:

Apple Watch 38mm $549 to $1049, Apple Watch 42mm $599 to $1099
    Apple Watch Sport $349 to $399
    Apple Watch Edition will cost from $10,000

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/apple/apple-watch-iwatch-release-date-uk-price-specs-features-launch-date-3425479/
  • EquineSunshine
    Options
    d0mcat wrote: »
    I'll be getting one for sure. Hope they make the UK price right and don't change the dollar sign for a pound one!

I'm afraid they pretty much did - the Apply Watch Sport is on pre-order through Apple Store for £299 or £339, and this is the 'budget' end of the range.
    Apple Watch is available in three collections at various prices:

Apple Watch Sport is priced at £299 inc VAT and £339 inc VAT, depending on the face size.
    Apple Watch is available from £479 inc VAT to £949 inc VAT.
    Apple Watch Edition, in 18-karat gold alloys, starts at £8,000 inc VAT.

In the US those prices are as follows:

Apple Watch 38mm $549 to $1049, Apple Watch 42mm $599 to $1099
    Apple Watch Sport $349 to $399
    Apple Watch Edition will cost from $10,000

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/apple/apple-watch-iwatch-release-date-uk-price-specs-features-launch-date-3425479/

You said "I'm afraid they pretty much did" but actually no they didn't just change the dollar sign for a pound one. If they had, it would be starting at £349 for the Sport, £549 for the Watch, etc. which would be a much higher price with the exchange rate. Also you said that is including VAT? The USD price is not including taxes, so I'm no expert in exchange rates, but it seems like at least as good a deal for people in the UK.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    but it seems like at least as good a deal for people in the UK.

If one thinks that being ripped off by Apple is a good deal...
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    But is it on the market already?

All of the other market players have had something in the market for some time, and all of them last longer than three hours in use. None of them are dependent on carrying a phone for GPS tracking.

The best-reviewed of the non-Apple bunch has been the LG watch - it has no GPS (ie, tethers to a phone) and is bigger and heavier with a worse screen and less functionality than the Apple product.

I don't think any of them are particularly compelling at this point...will revisit next year.

• MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    The best-reviewed of the non-Apple bunch has been the LG watch - it has no GPS (ie, tethers to a phone) and is bigger and heavier with a worse screen and less functionality than the Apple product.

I don't think any of them are particularly compelling at this point...will revisit next year.

I was thinking more about the specific health related functionality, Suunto, Polar, Garmin all have superior devices out there.

• dgarrett1976
    dgarrett1976 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's interesting to see all of the pre-release posts slamming the Apple watch with mostly inaccurate assumptions. The Apple watch is an excellent device and as a HRM it tracks HR spot on to the Polar HRM chest strap and a mobile EKG monitor in the Cardiac Rehab Fitness Center. It could actually do a lot more but Apple chose not to try and clear the medical device hurdles the goobermints throw down. Battery life has not been a issue either, always at 30% or better at the end of the day and I use it for a daily hour long work out. Like I said interesting to see all the "experts" before a product even hits release.
  • cdcruizer05
    cdcruizer05 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    not interested...android has much better options
  • csimmonsmfp
    csimmonsmfp Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Well, as someone who actually owns an Apple Watch (42mm Black Sport model), I can say that's it absolutely blows every other similar device out of the water, especially when it comes to fitness tracking. I've tried the 3 best reviewed Android-based devices (Moto 360, Galaxy Gear and the LG device), and there simply is no comparison. The HRM is quite accurate, IF you wear it tight enough on your wrist. It is just as accurate as the MIO HRM watch, which is a dedicated device. For a device that does more than just heart rate monitoring, that's pretty impressive. The battery life is surprisingly good, given the amount of detail put into the user interface (fluidity of menus, speed, etc.) The myfitnesspal Watch app is, unfortunately, kind of useless at this point; I'm very much looking forward to future versions. The built-in Workout and Activity apps are very good and the info that it feeds to the Health app is also synched with the MFP iPhone app. Some quirks yet, but I'm hoping they'll be worked out soon.

I've never understood the notion of "Apple Hate"; they make great products that last a lot longer than most of their competitors. If you own an iPhone and / or aren't an Apple Hater, you should definitely check out the Apple Watch for fitness.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    The Workout app is not "Very good." It lacks very rudimentary features such as statistics, maps, split times, etc. And they have locked out apps from accessing the HRM so it effectively is not a useful device for runners or cyclists who do any sort of heart rate training. I'm guessing it will eventually be a good app, but I have actually opted not to buy the device despite being pretty excited about it because the workout app is so anemic.