The 4-Hour Body / Slow-Carb Diet

Options

Replies

• walkers345
    walkers345 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Steve,

I have been measuring my beans at 1/2 cup limit per meal. I think Tim had recommended a serving of each (protein, legumes, and vegetables) per meal.

I have also started measuring my chicken and other proteins. I limit 3 eggs in the morning. BUT, I am a woman with 10-12 lbs to lose. I imagine that as you get closer to you weight loss goal, perhaps calories in calories out may matter more. I know a lot of people who do not measure. I would imagine that you could take it a week at a time and measure your progress, and change accordingly. That being said, I do not think he had limited portion sizes.

Good Luck!

Mcferg,

I, too, am considering NOT cheating this week. I'm going to see how this week goes. My scale has remained pretty steady-no weight loss. I wonder if one week with no cheating may move it in the right direction. I find that if I tell myself I can have a cheat meal, it just ends in chaos, because I overcompensate from not cheating all day.
    As for coffee breath, I find that brushing my tongue as far back as I can helps a lot.

A little happy update..

My fat monitor has moved from 26.1 (first measurement 2 weeks ago) to 23.9 today! I don't know again how accurate it is, but I do it the same time in the morning on an empty stomach. I feel a little firmer too!

I'm running 3 times a week and doing kettleball and some squats and other weights.
    I have a wedding to go to in April, and my goal is 140! So I need to get a move on. That is one lb a week til then.

Cheers,
    Stephanie
  • sbracken
    sbracken Posts: 79
    Options
    umd78 - I don't measure out my foods, but I do pay attention to potion control. So, while I might not be right on the mark with a 4oz serving of chicken, I know I'm not at 8 or 12 oz either. I do measure out anything that could be considered a domino food (almonds) or anything like salad dressing or oil for cooking. For example....last night I cooked up some ground beef with seasoning and 1 can of black beans. When it was done I split it into 3 containers for lunches this week. 1 lb of beef/3 - 5oz-cooking loss=approx. 4oz serving + approx. 1/3 can of black beans. If my weight loss starts to plateau or slow down as I get closer to my goal weight, I'll probably start weighting to ensure I'm staying under my cal count for the day.
  • circadianswing
    circadianswing Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My question is, should I be measuring out my food before consuming or just eat as much as I want within the SCD rules?

Steve, I've never measured a portion, and I eat till I'm totally content. sometimes upwards of 3/4 can of beans if I'm really hungry with a full size bonless chicken breast, or a steak. One day I even downed an 8 piece El Pollo Loco... it was awesome to see I lost weight the following day!

Stephanie, and all those who have been afraid or not doing/avoiding cheat day. I have basically gone out of control every cheat day, be it fried foods, alcohol, pint of ice cream, etc... eg. last Sunday, i was up 7lbs after, and lost all but 1 as of following tuesday (this morning). it's been a great part of the diet for me, so I assure myself I am not giving up all the things I want.
  • walkers345
    Options
    Circadian, Yes, I agree. Cheat day is very important, both mentally and for that calorie spike. I have also been going hog wild (no pun intended). I definitely agree it is a great, if not crucial part of the eating plan. I just may try to skip one. We'll see how this week goes.

:)
  • mcferg
    mcferg Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    @Circadian, Stephanie...

I think cheat day IS essential. I love eating the SCD meals (truly), but that diet is not sustainable long-term (and by long term, I'm talking about years, not weeks or even months) without it. I did skip this one, because I was still carrying weight from the prior cheat day, and I'd be surprised if I didn't do it again at some point, but my plan is as follows:

- Never skip a cheat day so long as my weight is at or below the prior cheat-day's morning weight. I don't care if I haven't lost weight, so long as I didn't gain any.

- Never skip 2 cheat days in a row, even if my weight is up. I guess I'd re-evaluate this if things kept rising.

Once I reach my true goal, I will probably have some scale allowance that determines if I need to skip a cheat day or not. I haven't really determined what that is. I don't think my current goal of 175 lbs is my ultimate goal, but I'm not changing it now, because I want to have the satisfaction of having met that goal. Beyond that, I will establish a new goal that probably focuses more on waist circumference or body fat % than the number on the scale. Until that final goal is established and met, my plan is to follow the cheat day rules above.
  • eponai
    eponai Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    guys, i think yesterday might have been a wash.

i had to go on-site to a client location for work, and lunch was an option of either chinese food across the street or a place that served filled baked potatoes a block down. we opted for the chinese, and even though i thought i was being good, i know it was not even close to SCD friendly. i ordered chicken and garlic spinach. sounds healthy, right? but it came soaked in this thick sweet sauce. i literally had a heart palpitating sugar rush after lunch since i'm not used to sugar anymore (been cutting it out for months now).

the scale i know does lie, but it's not saying good things. trying not to worry too much since i'm heading in to my cycle.....

i think i just wanted to complain about chinese food, which i don't even particularly like, so cheating because of that seems extra sucky.
  • umd78
    umd78 Posts: 9
    Options
    Hey guys!

I just wanted to ask them men a question about weight loss on this diet. I weight myself at the beginning (2 days ago, 218.3) and then I weighed myself this morning at 213. I know a lot of this is water weight but I have been drinking way more water than I normally do (I'm down to 1-2 cans of diet soda a day now, everything else is water).

Are these normal weight swings? Just a info about me... 5 foot 11 and I have a pretty athletic build from playing football. I feel much skinner only after 2 days (wow my diet must have sucked before!)

Thanks!
  • violynist
    violynist Posts: 61
    Options
    @Circadian, Stephanie...

I think cheat day IS essential.

good point. tim mentions that skipping cheat day on a regular basis is unhealthy for women, especially...i guess it messes up the hormonal balance if we don't return to normal regularly.
  • circadianswing
    Options
    umd78 - I see wild weight swings, especially between Sunday and Wednesday. I was 223 on Sunday morning (after day off), i weighed in this morning at 215.4. If you feel you're getting stuck, drink more water. If I'm lucky I'll see 214 before Saturday, and drive that back up past 220 on the weekend.
  • mcferg
    Options
    Hey guys!

I just wanted to ask them men a question about weight loss on this diet. I weight myself at the beginning (2 days ago, 218.3) and then I weighed myself this morning at 213. I know a lot of this is water weight but I have been drinking way more water than I normally do (I'm down to 1-2 cans of diet soda a day now, everything else is water).

Are these normal weight swings? Just a info about me... 5 foot 11 and I have a pretty athletic build from playing football. I feel much skinner only after 2 days (wow my diet must have sucked before!)

Thanks!

Welcome!

I think what you're experiencing is typical. You do see a pretty dramatic dropoff in weight (largely water). The worse you were eating before hand, the more water you were likely retaining. If you gave yourself any kind of "last hurrah" prior to starting, that could have pushed it even higher. This is pretty well evidenced by what circadianswing is describing.

That being said - a lot of people say things like "just water weight", but it's still weight, and, for me, carrying extra water makes me feel just as bad as other weight. I feel bloated and just generally blubbery.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!

Thanks!

The first week, I seemed to lose a lot of weight. I didn't see any fluctuation from that, but I only weigh myself once per week -- Saturday morning before eating anything on my "cheat" day.

After the first week, the weight loss seems to have stabilized to just a couple lbs. per week.

Day #1 227.8 lbs
    Day #7 221.4 lbs
    Day #14 218.4 lbs
    Day #21 -- 215.6
  • circadianswing
    Options
    Welcome!

I think what you're experiencing is typical. You do see a pretty dramatic dropoff in weight (largely water). The worse you were eating before hand, the more water you were likely retaining. If you gave yourself any kind of "last hurrah" prior to starting, that could have pushed it even higher. This is pretty well evidenced by what circadianswing is describing.

That being said - a lot of people say things like "just water weight", but it's still weight, and, for me, carrying extra water makes me feel just as bad as other weight. I feel bloated and just generally blubbery.

I just want to also mention that in addition to losing weight by diet alone, my exercise routine includes daily 30 min of cardio, strength training 2 times weekly w/ trainer, and a weekly strenuous 2 hr competitive basketball game at a gym. definite agree that I get a lot of water weight issues, and I also feel bloated day after workouts.

bluebird321 - you're doing awesome, ~12lbs in 3 weeks!!!
  • mcferg
    Options
    After the first week, the weight loss seems to have stabilized to just a couple lbs. per week.

Don't poo poo a "couple lbs. per week". That's a good rate of weight loss. If you maintain that for a few more weeks, you'll be surprised how much better you feel. I personally find that I enjoy the way eating the SCD makes me feel that I am less concerned about the scale than I've been on other plans. I'll take 1/2 lb per week if I can maintain that.
  • violynist
    violynist Posts: 61
    Options
    well, a bit of a progress update.

i was discouraged this week, gained back a couple lbs, sick of the diet (as i am eating mostly vegetarian), and generally unhappy with my progress. until this morning. when i put on my rain-coat, that i was going to have altered. the belt has always sat too high on my waist, and it is uncomfortable and makes me look like a babushka.

this morning, surprisingly, the waist sat lower! i couldn't believe it. now i don't have to get it altered after all.

so i guess i must have lost some girth somewhere, because just last week my raincoat still didn't fit right.

maybe i will keep up with the SCD after all...
  • bluebird321
    Options
    Welcome!

I just want to also mention that in addition to losing weight by diet alone, my exercise routine includes daily 30 min of cardio, strength training 2 times weekly w/ trainer, and a weekly strenuous 2 hr competitive basketball game at a gym. definite agree that I get a lot of water weight issues, and I also feel bloated day after workouts.

bluebird321 - you're doing awesome, ~12lbs in 3 weeks!!!

Thanks. I'm pretty sure a decent portion of my weight loss is water, but it's nice to see the scale moving in the right direction. It will be interesting to see the results at 90 days.

My workout consists of just walking the dog between a mile and 2 miles everyday.
  • caiphus
    caiphus Posts: 1
    Options
    I initially picked up the book to see about rapid muscle gain for a lazy person. When I got my DEXA scan I came out as 24.5% body fat which was a massive shock, I thought I might have been around 18% but to realise that being as slim as I thought I was and carrying 22kgs of body fat was pretty unhealthy. I jumped into the slow carb diet and over 6 weeks i dropped 4-5 kgs by the bathroom scale, thought I was losing a little slower than I expected and hadn't noticed any change in body shape. I went back for my second dexa scan, I had lost 3.9kgs and only 0.6kgs was actually fat the rest was lean mass. I was 4 kilos lighter, but my body composition was WORSE than before at 25.1%. I am feeling quite devastated and have no Idea how that could happen. My activity levels have increased since I went on the diet, but I haven't really been excercising. I had been quite sedentary for about 8months before I commenced the diet. Any Idea why I am losing so much more muscle than fat?
  • sbracken
    sbracken Posts: 79
    Options
    The scale has not been my friend this week. Could be the time of the month (within 10 days of my cycle starting).....and therefore water retention would start factoring in more than usual. After Monday's weight in and being up abit after the cheat day on Sunday, I figured all was normal. Until I was up another pound on Tuesday morning. No change on Wed, down to Monday's weight on Thursday (figured the water weight was finally deciding to come off) but I'm back up a pound this morning!!!! My diet hasn't changed this week.....same stuff as usual. But on Tuesday evening I was crazy hungry!!!! My DH thought I was crazy, cause he even commented "You're never hungry".
  • mcferg
    Options
    Shannon...not sure what's going on. I'm, more or less, in the same boat. I never lost all my weight last week, so I skipped cheat day (Sunday). As of Monday morning, the previous cheat day weight was gone, but on Tuesday morning, I was up a half pound. Now, Friday, I'm back down to the original weight I was before my cheat day nearly 2 weeks ago.

I'm not going to sweat it, though -I hit my current low after losing 3 lbs a week that followed 2 weeks of no loss. So, if I end up on a cycle that goes 0-0-3, that's still a pound per week, which I'm more than happy with right now.

I've decided that I clearly prefer the during-the-week plan this diet suggests more than any other I've been on, because I don't really care if my weight loss is slow, or how long it takes me to lose it, as I'm not planning on altering things once I do, anyway. I'm trying to make this the way I'd eat "if I wasn't dieting", because I feel confident, based on my energy level and everything else, that, if at some point I stop losing weight, then I must be at the weight I should be.
  • bluebird321
    Options
    I initially picked up the book to see about rapid muscle gain for a lazy person. When I got my DEXA scan I came out as 24.5% body fat which was a massive shock, I thought I might have been around 18% but to realise that being as slim as I thought I was and carrying 22kgs of body fat was pretty unhealthy. I jumped into the slow carb diet and over 6 weeks i dropped 4-5 kgs by the bathroom scale, thought I was losing a little slower than I expected and hadn't noticed any change in body shape. I went back for my second dexa scan, I had lost 3.9kgs and only 0.6kgs was actually fat the rest was lean mass. I was 4 kilos lighter, but my body composition was WORSE than before at 25.1%. I am feeling quite devastated and have no Idea how that could happen. My activity levels have increased since I went on the diet, but I haven't really been excercising. I had been quite sedentary for about 8months before I commenced the diet. Any Idea why I am losing so much more muscle than fat?

Caipha,
    I recommend keeping an online diet/exercise diary -- people can give you helpful feedback based on their own experience. I've kept one on another forum for the last 30 days, and i started one here about a week ago. I will be getting a DEXA done on monday; unfortunately, I didn't get one at the outset, so I have no basis for comparison yet.
  • walkers345
    Options
    Weigh in day today. I'm down to 148lb.- pre cheat weight from last week, no loss. I am ok with that, because I lost 2 " since my last measurements. (one month ago), and 4.25" total since January10th. It's slow going, but at least it's going! The plan today is to do a mild cheat day.

Caiphus, if ther is any advice I can give based on my slow journey, it's to keep going. This is a livable food plan with long term sustainability ( with some small tweaks). I would give it more time and possibly add some weight training to avoid losing muscle.
    How long did you go between Dexa scans? were you doing the SCD exclusively during that time?

For me, it has been slow, but I feel more toned and less bloated. I have increase my water intake more than ever in my lifetime.
    And it has allowed me to take the emotions and thinking out of eating.

Good luck and keep at it.

Stephanie